edna_stirling

How can I put hardwood floors in rooms around existing hardwood floor.

Edna Stirling
8 år sedan
I want to put hardwood floors that are around this foyer floor

Kommentarer (10)

• TanCalGal
    8 år sedan

The new hardwood should match the old hardwood.

• PRO
    User
    8 år sedan

A professional flooring installer can help you determine the wood species of your existing floor. They will then be able to lace in boards. Be prepared to sand and re-stain the entire floor for a professional look. This is a fairly expensive process.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    8 år sedan

I would ask how big is the foyer and if it makes sense to keep it if it is on the 'small side'.

• ycity
    8 år sedan
    Looks like red oak, peg and groove. Some installers know how to match this, would require resanding existing as well.
  • PRO
    Select Hardwood Floor Co.
    8 år sedan

It's an old post... but just for the sake of commenting. The floor pictured is PROBABLY a 3/4" x 3" & 5" Solid Oak (red, but perhaps white).

Depending on the size of the walnut pegs/dowels... it was likely produced by either Bruce or Chickasaw... but for that matter, even we may have milled it, (although our dowel pattern is slightly different).

We recently produced a similar product for a customer in Texas, who wanted to match an old existing plank floor with pegs. Prefinished to match the existing...

• PRO
    Classic Hardwood Floors & Designs
    8 år sedan

Here's my 2 cents....this seems like a design issue to me. Option 1 is to border out that foyer floor and select a prefinished floor to use for the remainder of the space. Option 2 is to do the same with unfinished oak and then sand it all and finish it as one. Option 3 would be my favorite...assuming that the foyer floor doesn't amount to much square footage at all....I would rip it out and start over with something you love. Ask your flooring professional and get a quote!

• PRO
    Koeber's Interiors: Flooring, Furniture, Windows
    8 år sedan

You can almost always sand in home to match. The issue here is that your hardwood may be needing a replacement anyway. By first glance, it's top nailed which is an installation no no nowadays. It could be worth just replacing all areas and installing a new hardwood.

• Jeff Bridges
    8 år sedan

It seems like it would be really difficult to get the hardwood floor to match exactly. An idea was mentioned in the comments to put a transition border, but I'm not sure that could work in your case. You may have to sand and restain the old flooring to match the newly installed wood flooring if you choose to use the same wood. Otherwise, your last resort could be tear it all out and start new. http://www.costenfloors.com/Article-Detail?ID=5aa37e9e-f711-4b0e-850a-8f31482cf739&AID1=6e3b8404-68ac-416c-ad52-46e336b340d1&AID2=d344f89d-1d3f-4ebb-ae42-e55a8ac270a5

• PRO
    The Flooring Girl
    7 år sedan

I think this depends on how large the pegged area is. It's rather easy to add hardwood to the areas around it and either sand and refinish those area to match/approximate the pegged room and/or refinish the pegged room area and change all of it to a new color. From the picture, it looks like red oak (but have someone local look at it in person to confirm.

The pegged look and strong bevels are rather dated and most of my customers don't like this look (and bevels are hard to keep clean. If it's a small area, I would rip it up and replace it; if it's large, have the flooring company do an estimate both ways. Usually if my customers can afford it, they'll rip it up and replace it. If they are limited on budget, they'll refinish it...and then try to replace it later.

You can read about red oak vs white oak in this article.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.