tricia_hoy

Need help for new house

Tricia H.
8 år sedan

Posted before, but am hoping for more thoughts...see pic, new house. Colors are somewhere between Field Drab (Pantone #455) and Army Green (Pantone #574). We are starting with the floor. What shade of wood should we go with? Thanks!

Kommentarer (47)

• sunnysideforever
    8 år sedan

A light birtch. hardwood.

Tricia H. thanked sunnysideforever
  • leelee
    8 år sedan

Lighter walls and darker floors is what I'd recommend. Your house is going to be very dark. Hope you have lots of natural light.

• Tricia H.
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 8 år sedan

Wow, thanks - that was helpful. I kind of thought it might be dark given the walls, and I hope I have lots of natural light too. Not sure if you noticed all of the surrounding windows and light pouring in.

• Tricia H.
    Författare
    8 år sedan

Sunnyside, thanks so much! I was thinking the same thing but really not sure.

• monaellen
    8 år sedan
    I would definitely repaint the walls in a lighter, brighter colour. Once you've done that, it will be easier to choose a floor. It's a personal choice, but I don't think I would go too dark; perhaps, something in a warm mid range.
    Start with the wall, though and don't forget to post pictures when you're done.
  • S Bailey
    8 år sedan

And remember that having a lot of windows and having a lot of light can be very different things. Which way do those side windows face? Obviously, east will provide morning sun, west will provide afternoon -- but if they're facing north, well, not so much. And do you have a deep roof overhang there? It just seems like a very dark room made darker by the deep wall color.

• Tricia H.
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    I agree, it is dark. But as we just bought the home, and the owner's just painted it, it seems like a lot of work and expense.
  • Tricia H.
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    p.s. I live in an extremely sunny state, with sun 365 days a year. My windows face the west and north and south.
  • PRO
    User
    8 år sedan

These projects of ours might give you new ideas on how to decorate this space.

Living Room · Mer info

Living Room · Mer info

• PRO
    TruDesign
    8 år sedan

Congrats on your new home! Looking at the Pantone colors you referenced, there seems to be a lot of green in the walls. Which would lead us to caution you about selecting too red of a wood tone. Opposite colors on the color wheel (like red and green) bring out even more red and green in each other. So, aiming for a brown finish as opposed to a red finish will help keep those floors neutral and flexible in the future! As seems to be the consensus, we too would recommend a generally lighter finish to contrast with the darker walls!

Good luck and have fun with your new space!

• Tricia H.
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    I love the furniture and the white on the fireplace! Someone else suggested I do that and I think I will.
  • Tricia H.
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    TruDesign: Funny you should say that, I was thinking the same thing. What do you call it when you pick colors that are next to each other instead of opposite the color wheel? I found flooring that is a little bit lighter but lots of dark streaks in it. I also never thought of using gold for my decor.
  • RubyRoses
    8 år sedan
    I think the lighter floors with some dark streaks sounds great.
  • PRO
    TruDesign
    8 år sedan

Post a picture of the floor you're looking at - we'd love to see it!

When you pick colors that are next to each other it is called an Analogous color scheme. These tend to be more soothing, peaceful rooms.

• Tricia H.
    Författare
    8 år sedan

Thanks Tru! I have the greatest news. My husband is ok with us painting the house. That changes everything. This allows me to add color in my décor, which is much more what I'd like to have. I still need to be careful of the birch color in the kitchen (cabinets) and it's also in the railing in the entry. I'll send more pics of the house when I get back into it. Here are my ideas.

Red Birch Floors · Mer info

Tartan Homes · Mer info

Cole Valley Hillside - John Maniscalco Architecture · Mer info

• Tricia H.
    Författare
    8 år sedan

It's not birch but maple color I'm trying to coordinate. My stair railings and kitchen cabinets are maple color. See the drawers on the end of the wall in the above pic? That color. In fact, I love this entire color scheme. Then I could add green décor!

Residential · Mer info

• spockyfanny
    8 år sedan

We just moved into a new house with beautiful dark engineered wood floors. Would NOT do it again...love the look but the upkeep is hell with three small hairy dogs. So if you have dogs beware...Otherwise we saved money by going with one color for the walls...chose BM's Vapor Trails and Dove White trim. Every room is a slightly different shade because of the varying window light. Good luck. It's fun!

Tricia H. thanked spockyfanny
  • bpchase53
    8 år sedan

I haven't read every post here but my one input is that wood floors are expensive and paint is cheap. Don't buy floors to match your walls; buy the floors you love and then paint the walls when you can.

• caelingl
    8 år sedan

I recently installed Armstrong Grand Illusions laminate throughout my home, its a high end laminate. I chose Melbourne Acadia as the color, its a warm mid-tone wood look. People can't believe its not hardwood. I debated hardwood but where we have a toddler and will eventually likely own a dog, laminate was the more durable choice. Hardwood can be refinished of course, but the cost of putting in laminate now is about equal to having hardwood refinished later plus it gave us more space for other things in the reno budget! Here's a pic, the walls are Benjamin Moore Swiss Coffee and I love the airy combo.

• PRO
    Ellen Lighting & Hardware
    8 år sedan

Congrats on the new house! You'd be surprised at how choosing the right lighting and fixtures really does make a huge impact in the personalizing your new space. We've got a bevy of Drum Shade Pendants and Recess Lighting Options that would truly bring this space to life. Check out our collection or visit us on the web at www.ellenlighting.com or visit our sister site www.in-stock-lighting.com for a HUGE selection of discounted lighting, fixtures and hardware.

• sandy3877
    8 år sedan

Have you decided if you are definitely changing the paint in the living area? Someone else mentioned to pick flooring them paint colors, which I agree is the only way to go. The flooring is so expensive, and will be there for years, though you can change paint more often at such a reasonable price. When you look at pics of floors, what colors do you tend to lean towards? Though I haven't researched this, I believe any stain color "goes" right now. Though, I think I did read that dark wood floors are coming back around. When my parents built their house 45 yrs ago, they went with dark walnut (a rich dark brown with hardly any red undertones), and several coats of a gloss urethane. They have been refinished a few times over the years but stayed with the same color. Though my mom has changed decor, and walls with the times over the yrs, the floors always looked great. Another thought, if you have a lot of floor area in a room, you most likely will get an area rug, which can be changed inexpensively if/when you decide to change your "decorating style". Back to the first question, are u changing the wall color? Please post your decision, and I think that will help with suggestions and help u decide on color palettes. Remember, you are least likely to replace wood floors, anchor furniture pieces (couch), the more expensive items/areas in a room, but the complete look can be refreshed or changed easily with smaller inexpensive accessories when you get bored, like throw pillows, table lamps, window treatments and general decor items.

• lauragamm
    8 år sedan

Take my word for it, you don't want dark floors!! They show every speck of dust and dirt so if you have kids and dogs its a lot of work. My favorite hardwood is hickory that blends lights and darks. You can put anything with them!! I would also lose that single door -- too close to the fireplace and put in french doors where the window is. The wall color is way too drab and makes the corner look like an entrance to a cave instead of a fireplace. It needs contrast with the fireplace.

• sweetkeight
    8 år sedan

The darkest wall color is a bit too dark. For an intimate space it works well. In the photo you provided, the room just seems depressing. No matter how much light is coming in the windows, you won't be able to overcome the gloomy feeling that dark paint is putting out. Possibly you could limit the coverage. As for the flooring colors, I'd stick with something mid-range, nothing either too dark or too light. You'll see every speck of dust on a really dark floor, and too light would be too great a contrast, especially if you keep that paint, as-is.

• Tricia H.
    Författare
    8 år sedan

Spocky: Thanks!! We don't have dogs, just one cat (maybe 2 soon). What's your issue with the upkeep? Currently we have light wood laminate and it's a gloss, hate that. I was thinking of going with a darker engineered wood, but more textured, not gloss. What do you think?

bpchase: That's exactly what we are doing. We have a budget for both, and will be doing both at the same time.

caeling: We have almost that exact color of floor! We bought high end too, very thick, almost commercial. Shaw Radiant Luster in Gobi. Love it, but dislike trying to keep it glossy and not smeary. I love your walls.

Ellen Lighting: Thanks!

Sandy: Yep! We are going to repaint the walls. I love the coffee color that caeling posted above. I'm thinking not white, but something creamy and neutral. And I would LOVE to have dark wood floors, but have stair railings and kitchen cabinets in this color (see attached pic).

• Tricia H.
    Författare
    8 år sedan

laura: We don't have kids or dogs. The single door to the right of the fireplace leads to the deck and backyard. I totally agree - as I said, we are repainting and replacing floors.

sweet: See above - we are changing paint and walls.

• mgamula
    8 år sedan

What you REALLY need is a gay best friend to help you through this. He'll have it thought through and explained clearly, even knowing what lighting makes your hair shine to its best advantage, before you even know it. There's no point in relying on a husband for this sort of thing. They always seem to have wrong opinions, and irritating ones, at that. Good luck!

• caelingl
    8 år sedan

Thanks Tricia! I really love your mid tone wood cabinetry! Are you doing any work to the kitchen? My living room walls are cedar board painted in Swiss Coffee which is kind of a chalky white, but the filament bulbs give a really warm cast. The rest of my walls are Navajo White, which is a bit creamer. I'm doing my sisters walls in Nimbus by Ben Moore and I think it could really compliment the tiles in your fireplace, which I think you're right to switch up.

I think dark wood floors are very attractive but they don't hide any sins between cleanings. The same can be said of the gloss laminate, the dust doesn't reflect light so it shows up on the shiny surface. But the thick glossy laminate floors give a much more real appearance then the duller ones which can sometimes look perpetually in need of washing ie barnboard styles.

If it was my house, I'd paint the living room lighter but use an accent color on the part that juts out for the fireplace and replace the mantle with natural wood to match your cabinetry. I'd also consider installing a white subway tile backspace in the kitchen in place of the dark smaller tile mosaic to brighten it up and better showcase the classic shaker cabinets.

Might not be your style at all, but just thought I'd throw it out there for fun.

• Tricia H.
    Författare
    8 år sedan

Hi caeling. Totally agree with your thoughts. Still unsure on the flooring, but we'll pick something we love and then paint. I agree on the backsplash but first things first. I'll check out your paint colors, those sound fab.

• Tricia H.
    Författare
    8 år sedan

Oh wow, double thank you. That's really nice. I really really like it. Maybe we don't need the paint after all. :)

• Drew Savoie
    8 år sedan
    I would paint out the door the wall color, will then be less competition for the focal fireplace.
  • reginagayle
    8 år sedan

My experience has been that it's best to start a room remodel with the flooring so it coordinates with the rest of your home and the architectural aspects of the room (fireplace). Then if you definitely want a very neutral color for the walls (white, ivory, beige, pale grey, etc.) you can do the walls next; however, I love color so I have found that it's easier for me to decide on a wall color by working off the color(s) of the larger pieces of furniture (sofa, chairs, area rug, etc.) that will be in the room. The problem with painting first is that if you already have/find a large room furnishing (or furnishings) in colors that you love, it/they may not compliment your wall colors and you might have to re-paint! There are hundreds (thousands?) of wall paint colors, so it's much easier to color the walls to compliment your other furnishings--not the reverse.

• Adeyemi sunday
    8 år sedan

That's a good floor but I will suggest little lighter one.

• Kimberly Eaton_Accord
    8 år sedan
    looks great without painting! the flooring is shiny - that added light. the addition of furnishings brightened up the room too. good job!
  • kiawenniserathe
    8 år sedan

It really depends on what you love, what inspires you and what you are drawn to. What is the feeling that you want to have when you are in this space? What colours give you that feeling? Is there art or a theme that you imagine for the space? What are your favourite spaces like? Warmer or cooler? Light and airy? Dark and cozy? Is it a beach house or an english garden, a pub or country house? When decorating, I find that I am drawn to something and create the space which reflects the item. I really enjoy pulling it all together and being in the space once it's complete.

• Joy Nelson
    8 år sedan
    Bamboo flooring will lighten it up and it helps carry light AND hides dirt pretty well. I have dark flooring in my living room and hate it. every foot print human and beast shows! It will be replaced in time.Have fun with your American dream!
  • handmethathammer
    8 år sedan

I would definitely change the paint color. It is too brown and dark. That room cannot be dark if you have west and south facing windows and live in a sunny area!

If you like darker floors, go for it, but expect to sweep;) I also have maple cabinets and woodwork similar to yours and we put in natural hickory floors. I love them because they are interesting, with both light and dark colors, and they seem to be pretty durable! We have not scratched or dented them yet, although any number of things have been dropped on, puked on, dragged across and pounded in the last 18 months.

I do wonder sometimes if they are too matchy matchy with the maple cabinetry, as they are a similar tone and contrast is the word in decorating these days.

• PRO
    Shippey Construction
    8 år sedan
    Hemlock would look nice
  • PRO
    MW Design LLC
    8 år sedan

Hi Tricia, Hope the new house will bring you happiness....

It depends on what you want to emphasize as the focal point in the room. If it was my house to do, I would focus on the fireplace. At the moment the fireplace blends in with everything.... Bearing that in mind...

Flooring: Use the grain of the wood to take the eye to the fireplace, laying it in the direction of the fireplace. You can do a border, but that will emphasize the angles of the room and make it really busy. As to the color, go with your gut... if you like the light colors, use them, but know that it makes the space feel much more informal / country / modern - depending on the grain and the hue of the wood. Darker colors tend to ground the room a bit more. Dust do show up more on dark floors, but there are gorgeous colors of flooring in the midrange where that does not become such an issue.

As for the colors on the wall: I would suggest to keep them as natural / neutral as possible. This allows for years of altering décor without having to repaint, and yes, paint is cheap, but labor is not and if you paint yourself, it is arduous when you have room full of furniture. I would keep the wall space around the fireplace in the darker tone - if you like it and paint the fireplace surround lighter. That will attract the eye to the fireplace. You are blessed with a white door right against the fireplace - I would make that blend with the walls as to not detract the eye to it as it is done now.

If you have the luxury of getting new furniture, keep them lighter with pops of your favorite color. The darker your furniture, the lighter your walls, and VV.

Hope this helps a bit and enjoy the process of creating a comfy space for your living room.

• PRO
    User
    8 år sedan

See this wooden floor from our interior design, maybe something like this?

Morrison Heights Gathering Room · Mer info

• suzanne
    8 år sedan
    The placement and size of door is troublesome; it detracts from the fireplace. It would help if it had a transom to balance with window. Since that may not be possible, play the door down by painting it and the facing to match walls and put full length curtains on the side window. I agree you should pick floor you like then paint. Otherwise, lighter taupe or darker cream color works with a wide range of colors, including greens and most any shade of flooring and would lighten the room. I think i would paint fireplace a shade darker than walls and paint recess over mantle the color of walls. I hope you post a picture of your completed project. I'm sure it will be lovely.
  • sefac
    8 år sedan

If you want to emphasize the fireplace, use the photoshoped fireplace insert color, split the wall horizontally at the top of the mantle and paint the top portion of the wall the new color. Leave the fireplace surround and remaining wall the existing dark color. By two toning you would emphasize the fireplace but also make the room appear larger with the lighter color on top. You see this same idea played out in other more traditional design where you have light walls and a dark wood wainscoat.

• foreverfarm11
    8 år sedan

I went with dark floors - and I see everything and I mean everything on it. I can do my floors and 10 minutes later they look dirty again (of course having a slobbering saint Bernard and 5 cats in the house doesn't help). light floors!

• redoredone
    8 år sedan

We are living in a house with dark toned wood laminate floors while we are doing a whole house remodel. There's only my husband and me, no kids and we lost our last pets before we moved here. (Very sad). Foreverfarm11 and others said it right...these floors are terrible to keep clean, even without pets and children. We are using light colored hardwood floors in our remodel with a satin, not shiny finish. We had them in our previous home and they are great, even with the pets we will have again when we move.

• Tricia H.
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    Hey everyone! Appreciate the comments!

So. I'm going to pick the flooring first, but we want the walls painted first as they'll be ripping out the carpet anyhow.

I think I'd like a really light coffee for walls, maybe dark brown ceiling, light cream trim.

And thanks for the comments on the dark floors. I believe you!
  • Tricia H.
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    Handmethahammer: Love the floors!! I like how your trim/baseboards go with the cabinets.

redoredone: Wow. Super appreciate your comments.
  • sandy3877
    8 år sedan

Handmethehammer: your floors are absolutely beautiful! I love the contrast, all the different shades that show. I would think they are really versatile.

Tricia, If you get bored with you color scheme or change your design style down the road, I think the floors would look great with all decorating styles and decor; traditional, modern, etc. I love your paint choices. I love a rich, chocolate brown, and love the trend of painting ceilings a color other than white.

I agree with someone that mentioned your fireplace being your focal point. I suggest you search the Internet and Houzz fireplaces, and pull ideas from one or several pictures you like.

Your home is going to look fantastic! Enjoy!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.