edubya

POLL: Do window treatments have to match?

Emily H
7 år sedan

Weston Residence · Mer info

When you are installing window treatments in the same room or even in rooms that are open to each other, do you make sure they all match?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Yes
No
Other - Tell us below!

Kommentarer (102)

• Brenda Brewster
    7 år sedan
    I like a flow in adjoining rooms that are open to each other. I would use the same or companion fabric on the Windows
  • sjmom
    7 år sedan

In the same room yes but if you can see into another room they should coordinate but not necessarily match.

• cindiwoodrum
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

There is an important distinction between matching and complementing. Depending on the color, fabric, weight, design, etc. - if you "matched" all window treatments you might end up with an unintended design effect. Too simple could come across as more austere than intended; too complicated could overpower the room; too much of a good thing could look cutesy or contrived; too heavy could create imbalance; and so on. My favorite is complementing - just like paint can create a color flow for your home, curtains can help provide decorating continuity when one or two of the elements remain consistent as you travel from space to space, even when the space is not separated by walls. Regardless - I love to see it when the space reflects the person and then design "rules" fly out the window!

• arlindwalling
    7 år sedan

I would not like to walk in to a room that has windows on all sides with different /multi coloured fabrics hanging down ... A little bit of consistency but not necessarily 'the uniform ' is pleasant and soothing.

• Joan Fenendael
    7 år sedan

Just depends what I can find at Marshalls and/or T.J. Maxx. I hate to spend a bundle on window treatments. Since I'm planning to change paint colors in my townhouse living room-dining room, I'll be shopping Marshalls and T.J. Maxx again.

• User
    7 år sedan

Joan Fenendael...I know what you mean. Since I buy multiple sets of the same curtains, I purchase mine at Ikea, T.J. Maxx, and HomeGoods. These stores carry some of the prettiest colors and pattern curtains, also coordinating decor (throw blankets, rugs, pillows, and various shelf dust catchers...er..knick-knacks) to go with those curtains.

• Joan Fenendael
    7 år sedan

jorjagirl I too shop IKEA and have purchased bedspreads, pillow covers and other accessories there. My bedroom curtains are a clearance shower curtain from JC Penneys that I cut vertically and hemmed. I love the colors but am still looking for a light blocking liner.

• User
    7 år sedan

Try Joann Fabric for material for the liner or re-purpose a flat sheet.

• PRO
    Courtney Lowry Architect
    7 år sedan

My dining room is open to my living room and normally I match my window treatments. With a nudge from my husband, I did patterned curtains on the large bay window in the living room this winter and solid, insulated curtains pulling from a color in the pattern in my dining room. I loved the look. For summer, I am back to sheers and matching prints, but will try it again.

• Brig Oulette
    7 år sedan
    I don't have window treatments
  • PRO
    Masarsky Solutions, Inc.
    7 år sedan

My vote is no but with caution. If doing the design yourself I would recommend matching them. A professional with experience can guide you to a successful, and perhaps more interesting, mixed solution. You would want to keep the treatments consistent in colors and materials so there is some cohesion to the plan. You also want the treatments to be different enough so that it does not appear that you tried to match them and missed the mark. I would also add that it depends on your personal preference. Some clients I have worked with feel they would always be trying to "visually correct" if things were not matching. Others would describe everything matching as "boring". It really is a reflection of your personality. In the end it should look like your home, not your neighbors or a magazine spread.

• marianne1947
    7 år sedan

Try IKEA linen look white drapery panels. They are less than $30 a pair and look like pottery barn.

• Stella Melo
    7 år sedan
    Yes! Our brain works by picking references and filling on the details. This is why a very busy place tends to be tiresome while a harmonious place the de to be relaxing. I live in Toronto downtown so there is already lots going on outside. Then, I really enjoy places where colors are coordinated and harmonized. Draperies matching color, walls in white, and paintings in the wall bringing the accent I colors make my style!
  • PRO
    Inspired Spaces
    7 år sedan
    I believe Fabrics should coordinate, in color and style, not necessarily match. When you coordinate fabrics in a room or adjoining rooms, it is important to use different patterns, such as, stripes with large prints or large prints with small prints. See examples below...
  • pbrown58
    7 år sedan

Same fabric, but different style would be fine.

• kiturah
    7 år sedan

When the windows are shaped totally different and point in different directions/different exposures, you can't match them identically. It certainly is desirable if they are related though I can imagine a boho look where that is not necessary.

• J Rob
    7 år sedan

I'm just about to install window treatments throughout our newly constructed home. We have an open concept living/dining/kitchen area where I plan to use the coordinating materials and textures. They will not be exactly the same, but coordinated neutrals. The kitchen will have linen roman shades, while the living room and dining room will wood shades in similar tones. In a room that is "contained" window treatments should match to allow the eye to rest, such as in a bedroom. A fun place to explore with fabric is in a bathroom - either with a valence or shower curtain, where you could be daring for a smaller price tag.

• fos5
    7 år sedan

Yes from the outside looking at your window treatments you will create a disjointed apartment look if all windows have a different treatment. Inside if you have sheers or blinds all same you can have fabric side panels that are different but coordinate and marry with your decor. inside.

• PRO
    User
    7 år sedan

Certainly not matchy matchy, but definitely coordinated in open spaces. I think Individual rooms can be totally different, just keep in mind the overall look from inside and out.

• PRO
    Walter Forge
    7 år sedan

Absolutely not. Your personal space should belong to You. You are the only person you really have to please and home is where your opinion should be the only one that matters in the end. It makes me sad when someone says "I love this" but my decorator, friend or relative says its not ..... what ever. We do so many custom pieces of custom hardware suited to our customers wants. Draperies and hardware are a major investment. Do what makes you smile. My grandmother would set her table with 12 different china patterns. It looked like a beautiful spring garden. That would drive some nuts and inspire others.

• fos5
    7 år sedan

Everyone's home is their castle, their comfort level and their taste so by reading all response to this topic this discussion is moot.

• Lisa Hayes
    7 år sedan
    I purchased new furniture and the patterns didn't match well with my curtains. I have an open floor plan and used the old curtains in the dinning room. The new curtains have cordinating colors and look great together.
  • PRO
    Fancy's Folly
    7 år sedan

I certainly think they should blend..or compliment each other but they dont have to match totally...

• lemchardy
    7 år sedan

It depends upon the windows - if they are different, then by all means change the treatment but if they are the same then the treatment should be the same. They should be complementary , for example, same fabric. Some might have shutters for privacy or to control bright sunshine.

• iselasky
    7 år sedan
    I am DESPERATE for HELP! I am decorating an upstairs Media Room and Study, which are adjointing and seen from staircase. The stairwell wood flooring will continue to the upstairs hallway and study, and carpet in media room. Here's the problem; I was planning to installing interior Plantation Shutters in both rooms adjointing each other and seen from staircase. The media room furniture and ceiling fan are much darker tones, so I was going to coordinate my wood shutters to wood ceiling fan and keep all wood tones similar in this room, since my hallway flooring is not in this room. My question is; since all woods and shutters are much darker tones in Media Room, and I am continuing the wood flooring to my Study, and want Plantation Shutters there too, how do I choose the wood shutter color for the Study Plantation Shutter. Again, these rooms are adjointing and seen side by side from stairs. HELP!!!!
  • PRO
    Alexis Dietrich Designs
    7 år sedan

They do not have to match/ However, they should definitely coordinate with each other or at least be the same fabric or color.

• iselasky
    7 år sedan
    I might add; the wood flooring in hallway & study is a different dark tone than in the media room, and if I coordinating the Study shutters to the same color of Media Room shutters, because they are adjointing rooms, both rooms are seen from stairwell, the shutters in the Study would clash with the wood flooring, or look as if someone mismatched the wood flooring tones. In other words; adjointing rooms would have two different tones of wood shutters. If I match stain of Shutter wood tones for both rooms, visable to each other, then the Shutters in the Study would not coordinate with the wood flooring in Study. I can not change wood flooring, nor can I change dark tones in Media Room, because of budget restraints. How can I achieve a nice color flow and harmony to my Study and coordinate with my Media Room; windows and flooring on this side of home! Thank you for all comments and help!
  • PRO
    C'est Jolie Designs
    7 år sedan

They don't have to be exactly the same but should coordinate and flow with each other.

• PRO
    Ageless Design
    7 år sedan

Since the flooring is the common denominator of the spaces, that is only your base; coordinate your shutters for both rooms, instead of having individual shutter color for each room...your main focus is what draws your eye in the rooms like furniture, artwork, paint color, etc....don't stress over your basic elements of flooring and windows.

• Joanna Adelajda
    7 år sedan

You have to think outside the box. Nothing has to match but in the end has to pull trhough as one. Balance. You can use same colors but different textures. Or same textures different colors.

• iselasky
    7 år sedan
    I feel the wood flooring and wood shutters should coordinate, and will be huge focal point since they are adjointing rooms. If I match the stain color of shutters in both, adjointing rooms, then the Study, wood flooring, will be a different tone than the shutters and not match in the flooring. The Media room will look fabulous when completed, but I need to coordinate adjointing Study shutters with same shutter color of Media Room, but then, the wood flooring color in Study will not coordinate with the shutters. If I was just dealing with textures and fabrics, this could be resolved, but I am dealing with different tones of wood. Don't know what to do. Any other advice? Thank you!
  • Momof5x
    7 år sedan

My hubby had three different walls done with three different wallpapers in his room----good the other had windows loool, but in all honest he does have excellent taste and they really do all match the room-so I guess after this, I would say, why not curtains too!?

• iselasky
    7 år sedan
    Thank everyone for the recommendations and suggestions about window fabrics and design. I am am wondering; do the recommendations given, also go for using different color "stained" WOOD PLANTATION SHUTTERS in adjointing rooms that are visable and side by side? Thank you again!
  • yoshiono
    6 år sedan

Dilemma: In the kitchen I have a small window above the sink and a sliding glass door. For the windows in the house we chose a grey cellular shade, but I'm wondering if we can go with a white vertical blind for the sliding door or does it have to be grey as well?

• tooky58
    6 år sedan

@yoshiono, post with photos on design dilemma for advice and help.

• PRO
    Cameron's Design
    6 år sedan

Overall, I do feel that window treatments installed in the same or adjoining rooms should match, unless the client requests otherwise

• My House
    6 år sedan

Same room, such as great room? Yes, they should match!!

• derlandson
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

If windows are in the same room the window treatments don't have to be identical in style. I think the fabric should be the same.

• My House
    6 år sedan

Take a look at this MODEL homes and decide for your self.

This link has over 50 VIRTUAL tours.

http://tours.stevenjamescollins.com/public/tour/search/WFNull/2%7C25%7C

• Joan Fenendael
    6 år sedan

Kate Haus, that is a huge space. I hope a cleaning person has a job.

• PRO
    Gerety Building and Restoration
    6 år sedan

They don't have to be identical, but they have to match if that makes sense.

• Beth C
    6 år sedan
  • Beth C
    6 år sedan
  • dssaunders
    5 år sedan

help!!! I have a slider and a smaller window on the same wall. I want ripple fold sheers on the slider and a roman or something like that on the smaller window. Is this ok.

• PRO
    Curtain Call
    5 år sedan

Absolutely! We do this all the time.

• Saundra Kielborn
    4 år sedan
    I’m going through this very dilemma now. I will be hanging white faux taffeta silk curtains in my master “retreat”, flanking my bed, yet have a sliding glass door to the pool. I really don’t want to over do the white, but having trouble coming up with an alternative color.I’ve been thinking of a set of natural vertical panels, or darker gray as my walls are very light silver gray. My accent wall is an oriental pattern, self adhesive wall paper, predominantly navy, see pics, (not completed room yet).
  • meganpat
    4 år sedan
    In my kitchen I have three windows and French doors. On the front windows I have roman blinds in red with taupe stripe, on the doors curtains in taupe with off white strip and Venetian blinds over the sink.
  • PRO
    Flores Artscape
    4 år sedan

As so many before have said, it depends on the room, the design, how much "matching" they are (or aren't).

They should be complimentary for sure and any lack of "matching" should be intentional and should be incorporated into the rest of the room.

Hope that helps!

• PRO
    Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
    4 år sedan

My rule of thumb is.....doesn't have to be exact that leads to a sterile environment. I like to layer the look like putting together outfits. What you like generally can flow through the rooms.

• Houzz-ID: 585517788
    4 år sedan

Hi, I want to use the blue drapes for the sliding door patio and the tan curtain to the other windows (not the small on) which you can tell there are different size and height. Of you think it will look better with the blue drapes on all window?

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.