fordandkate_lannan

Curb Appeal: Making a split level home look less like a split level...

We live outside of DC and are trying to make our home look less like a split level by painting it all one color. Initially, we wanted to add a portico to chance the look and disguise the split, but there is a stone retaining wall that would need to be moved and replaced - and it was very expensive. So now, we're looking for design ideas that don't require structural changes - so we would love ideas on colors, shutters, window boxes, trim, door, etc. There are 3 materials - siding, brick and hardieplank. Anything in general on adding low cost curb appeal.

We were thinking:
All white including trim, grey shutters and a turquoise door. Not sure what to do with the garage...faux wood? Window boxes? New plants obviously. New fence, match the garage, dark natural wood stain?

Or
Khaki/tan-ish with grey hues with black shutters, black door - bright white trim. Add trim to door and around window, bright white garage with black hinges. White fence, new plants. Planters with red flowers. Flag.

Kommentarer (12)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 år sedan

I’m sorry but if you didn’t want a split level why did you buy one. IMO this will always look exactly what it is no mater what paint you use.Embrace the style get rid of the poorly sized shutters paint the garage door the same color as you choose for the siding (I would suggest a soft gray/ green ) to work with the brick and some good landscaping.

• PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    7 år sedan

I would not paint the brick as you take a basically maintenance free product and turn it into a long term maintenance item. Like Patricia said I would either remove the shutters or put up a wider shutter that "fits" the windows. Pick a color that is not so much of a contrast with the brick to tie the pieces of the house together, including the garage door.

If you're interested in seeing some virtual renovations check my web site, Creative Visual Concepts. I do mock ups to show you how your house might look with new paint colors, etc.

FordandKate Lannan thanked Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
  • Judy Mishkin
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

actually i think the poorly sized shutters are part of the original style... in any case, we buy houses for a lot of different reasons. we bought our antique victorian because of its location and it would be silly to update the outside... as would it be silly for you to try to make your perfectly lovely home something other than it is. there is nothing wrong with a split level, in any way.

save the updates for the interior.

• PRO
    WJM Architect
    6 år sedan

• partim
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

As far as flower colors, red and pink make the brick look muddy. Cream, white, yellow, blue, lavender/purple are great. Bronze (not orange) asters in the fall are beautiful.

Blue-toned foliage also looks very good, such as blue rug juniper or blue-toned ornamental grasses like blue oat grass. Avoid plants with yellow variegated leaves.

• stephfloyd
    6 år sedan

I love the idea of painting the brick & going all white!

• Bette P
    6 år sedan

Transitional Exterior · Mer info

Somerset Renovation · Mer info

Exterior · Mer info

Paint your siding and garage door first and leave the brick as is. The shutters are not the right size for the windows anyway, so remove them and widen your window trim, see the 2nd photo. Darkening your gutters to blend in with the roof will take away the white stripe. If your window grills are removable, take them out. Landscaping will help, see the first and third photo for inspiration. Maybe a white front door to match the large window beside it, it will read as a unit and appear larger. New lighting.

• decoenthusiaste
    6 år sedan

View from the Front · Mer info
    A unifying element like this roof that ties the two pieces of the house together into one can help. Get an architect involved to replicate this look. Notice they didn't replace all of the roof, just matched the shingles with new metal roofing. It will be very much at home in the DC area.

View from the Front · Mer info

• btydrvn
    5 år sedan
    All one color will decrease the split look...matching the siding closer to the brick color is the easiest .. shortest way... toward that goal...unless you want to paint the brick... then any color will work
  • Lyn Agre
    4 år sedan

Paint the brick...the paint used would be for brick and stucco and today's products last 15 years or so. Don't be pushed into a corner because ' brick is maintenance free". If you don't paint it , it will never look different. Use a color you love and one that will go nicely with nature.

• L S
    2 år sedan

Did you end up painting? I am thinking about painting our split level brick white to match the siding and would love to see how yours turned out!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.