thorpesa

?how to divide up these spaces.

thorpesa
7 år sedan
any thoughts on whether a divider would work here... very narrow tiny space.. thought I might be able to get the island moved down a few inches. this open plan room is driving me mad with crumbs from breakfast landing under the couch... and a young family.. want to make the sitting down section more relaxed... also it's a bit dull and tired looking...any thoughts on paint colour/curtain/blinds/cushions or throws appreciated.. there is a sun room with dining and small seating off the kitchen too..

Kommentarer (4)

• PRO
    Dale Loth Architects
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

It's a bit hard to judge from the photos, but I would initially focus on the living room furniture and its arrangement rather than anything else - particularly the sofas. For instance, a sofa with an easy-clean finish and its back to the kitchen area could itself or with a narrow console table behind form a divider and look rather less lost than the cosy-looking but awkwardly positioned one next to the door. If the sofa had a big gap or no gap beneath, cleaning under it wouldn't be such a nuisance. There's also a perennial issue about the height of sofas. High-backed ones tend to be more comfortable but are harder to arrange without making small spaces feel congested.

• PRO
    RLDC
    7 år sedan

Its hard to judge without seeing the fireplace elevation but you could also consider trying the smaller sofa floating infront of the door and using the large sofa as a kitchen divider. A throw over the back of it will potentially help crumbs/sticky fingers. The space will feel more grounded if you then invest in a large rug (Ikea have some large natural sisals at good prices) which fit under the front of both sofas (as opposed to float in front). The walls look quite pink at the minute. I would be inclined to tone them with the kitchen cabinets or go a more stone colour to tone with the work tops/floor (Paint and Paper library do a great stone colour in varying depths).

I would suggest you 'play' with the furniture layout initially; afterall, its not glued to the floor!

Good luck

Helen

• Flo G
    7 år sedan
    You could try out a screen but if you have kids you need to keep an eye on while cooking a row of open shelfs could do and if you are afield of kids mocking ornaments just put a bit of bluetack on the base and it's enough to steady it
  • PRO
    Rodrigo Pissarra, Building Technician
    7 år sedan

I am afraid a room divider would crowed the room, I would go with the tips above and focus on the rearrangement of the furniture. If you have the space, try putting the smaller sofa next to the larger one in a L-shaped arrangement.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.