emmelinewe

To have an island or not to have an island?

Emmeline Westin
7 år sedan

In a recent Mail online article, there was a heated debate about the uselessness of kitchen islands.

Since kitchen islands are very popular on Houzz, I was curious to hear if you agree with the experts, should we steer clear of kitchen islands...?

Hambalt Road · Mer info

Kommentarer (17)

• minnie101
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

I agree with colourhappy if it's being squeezed in. I'm not sure I agree with the comments about it being a status symbol though?! If it's practical and efficient I don't see why you wouldn't have one, unless you have a table in the middle a kitchen can look a bit odd with just units round the edge, you wouldn't do it in any other room so why a kitchen. I think an island can also look more like furniture so brings a more homely element and if the room is small one on legs looks better IMO.I can't have an island in my kitchen unless I lose my breakfast table which I don't want to do. I am thinking of buying a shaker table at counterheight (plans currently on hold as the only stools I liked of the correct height sold out!) as although the kitchen is a fair size it is lacking worktop space which I can't do anything about for various reasons

• Daisy England
    7 år sedan
    I love islands. I have one and it's the most used part of my kitchen. I have a large square kitchen so it's not squashed in. I also have loads of storage in my island including a drawer pack, 2 chrome pullouts, integrated ironing board, microwave and more deep drawers. In the top is the induction hob and a triple plug pull up.

Definitely couldn't manage without one.
  • PRO
    Lariko Architects
    7 år sedan

Islands within a kitchen are very much space dependent, there is nothing more annoying than an island that actually uses more space than you gain. If you are pushed for space, the mid century approach was always to combine the social aspect of an island, with that of an extended 'peninsular' or 'L' shaped kitchen. This provides the seating flexibility etc without compromising on your floorspace. A good example is Davison & Hillman's Copper Beech in London courtesy of http://www.themodernhouse.com/past-sales/copper-beech-london-n6/

• PRO
    Stott Fitted Furniture Ltd
    7 år sedan

A Kitchen island will work well providing there is the space within the room for it. If the room is too small then it wouldn't work and would be a waste of space.

• PRO
    Bespoke Living Chiswick Ltd
    7 år sedan

Islands are the new trend and they do look great but are often not right for the space you have, There is nothing worse than forcing in an island that is too large for the space. It will only make your kitchen look smaller and also be very tight to work in. Proportions are very important in design. Why not look at the options of having a peninsular instead. You are not wasting space like an island but you get a similar look. You can still have an overhang so that you can sit at it and overall it may look a lot better. Give it a try!

• tamp75
    7 år sedan
    I've never wanted an island but nearly got sucked into one when we redid our kitchen. We had the space but felt the kitchen area would have been too large for us so we went for a peninsula instead which works really well. I do know people who squeezed a large island in with only about 60cm between island & worktops. They have to move their kitchen stools to get to their oven!
  • Judy Elliott
    7 år sedan
    I love mine. I made sure there was a minimum 110cm either side and we needed the extra storage space it provides. It's the favourite spot in the kitchen and makes it a very sociable space. Also I went for marble top and so glad I ignored all the naysayers about it.
  • Jonathan
    7 år sedan
    In our case we just didn't have much wall space because of windows, doors, fireplace and the opening to the dining room so it was the only solution.
  • gilliifer
    7 år sedan
    we renovated a 50 year old kitchen that had an island already but with a huge cupboard over it. The cupboard blocked the the view so was not replaced but the island is so useful as an extra work station, informal eating area and first grandchildren and elders to be in the kitchen safely and joining in. I love it
  • kikiamack
    7 år sedan
    I agree with many of the comments on here in that if they really work in the space you have then why not? However they don't work for every space and other ideas can make the kitchen easier to work within and still have an impact. In our kitchen a peninsular worked best. It is 90 cm wide so I have kitchen units one side and on the dining side I have a long shelf for all my cookery books, drawers underneath that, and a cabinet for our water softener. There is an overhang at one end with stools for 2 people. I could have fitted an island in, but it would have ended up much smaller and less useful than the peninsular, with less storage.
  • francetetreault
    7 år sedan

No. Its a fad that will cause house buyers a lot of money to remove in the future. A table is more sociable, useful and removable.

• Janice Paterson
    7 år sedan
    Can you show me studio apartments
  • hban7
    7 år sedan

I have the space to have an island so we have a large one with an induction hob, extractor fan that descends into the island, second small fridge underneath (opposite sink) and rounded end which sits 6 people. Everyone always congregates around it and it's the central point of our home. It's great for entertaining.

• PRO
    Woodprojects
    7 år sedan

Our current kitchen project is on a farm in Devon, a series of trailers are forming the house. The kitchen trailer will open seamlessly onto a terrace so we're making the island on industrial castors, allowing it to be wheeled outside for some al fresco prep work. (They also have a simple locking system!)

• angelboyman
    7 år sedan

Seems like everyone is saying the same thing. It all comes down to your available space rather than just having an island because they're 'popular'. This is one of my bugbears really where people insist on having the latest must have feature in their houses but yet their houses just aren't big enough to take them - specifically, en-suites squeezed into new builds so the master is smaller than a kids bedroom - why?!?! Multi-fuel stoves in inner city properties that have readily available gas and kitchen islands that are 1 cabinet deep and 2 or so wide!

• PRO
    ARC Bespoke Interiors
    7 år sedan

it does come down to space, if every body had space and money i bet everybody probably install an kitchen island ,and follow the trend,

i would love to have a island in my dream kitchen, just for an indoor barbecue, appliances eg: 1x big electrical griddle,2x miele cs1312bg modular grilling hob, 2 worktop pop up extractor fans,or, a small restaurant style extractor fan (designed by me ) and a small sink

this is part of my dream kitchen

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.