vanessalwalker

How has your mother's interior style influenced you?

Vanessa Walker
6 år sedan

Hi Houzzers,

In the lead up to Mother's Day we have a question for you...

My Houzz: Brighton · Mer info

Did you inherit your mum's decor style? Or does your home look totally different from hers? Chime in with photos, and you might be featured on Houzz.

Kommentarer (8)

• LesleyH
    6 år sedan
    A love of autumn tones and comfortable furniture.
    Vanessa Walker thanked LesleyH
  • hayley
    6 år sedan

My mother wanted red everywhere. Red walls, red couches. She was a very passionate person. I am no less passionate but my love of red decor only goes so far! At the moment, I only have one red cushion in my living room. It's a nice little memory of her.

Vanessa Walker thanked hayley
  • Kerrie Chapman
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

My taste in interior style, I would have to say, is strongly influenced by my father rather than my mother. Mum and I had very different tastes. She had a love for soft, feminine pastels and florals, and delicate-looking furniture, which looked lovely and totally suited her Me personally, I'm much more into the beautiful, no-fuss simplicity of mid century modern, with its simple lines, warm, bright, colours and light, honey-coloured timbers, and nothing too fussy-looking in the way of ornaments.

Vanessa Walker thanked Kerrie Chapman
  • PRO
    Anne Webster Designs Pty Ltd
    6 år sedan

I grew up with my mother painting, wallpapering, making all our curtains, upholstering chairs and always yearned to be an Interior Designer but never had the confidence. She most definitely influenced me in looking further afield for amazing furniture and artefacts globally that can still work with traditional English antiques. There's little bits of my interiors that refer back to her and home life for sure.

Vanessa Walker thanked Anne Webster Designs Pty Ltd
  • ChrissyL
    6 år sedan

My parents - a working class couple- made their money by purchasing houses and "doing them up". This, however, would not have been so successful if my mother had not been blessed with an innate sense of style, which was evidenced in, not only, the way she decorated each home, but also in her personal dress. Every piece of furniture, as well as the soft furnishings ( mainly made by Mum) were very carefully chosen, and always seemed to exude a sense of flair in either style or colour. Even with the 70's love of orange, nothing was ever garish. What I loved the most, was the fluid nature of her decor- all rooms had some colour connection, so in a way, the whole house seemed "naturally" co-ordinated, and in a way my decorating style reflects this notion of connectedness ( although she was much braver with colour - I tend to the neutral). I just love that my three daughters seem to have inherited her sense of style!

Vanessa Walker thanked ChrissyL
  • Sara Wurm
    6 år sedan
    White walls did not exist in my family home... thank goodness. Grew up with cork wallpaper, velvet-covered sofas, brocade curtains and blinds, metallic wallpapers, grass cloth wallpapers. I still have no idea where my parents got their amazing taste from !!
    Vanessa Walker thanked Sara Wurm
  • debanger3
    6 år sedan
    I always thought my mother had bad taste as far as decor in the home went.....God it was awful! My parents were poor but as a youngster that was no excuse for me being ashamed to bring friends home ( I suffer the guilt of the damned!). Many years later, I was an adult, they sold our old home and made enough to buy a small but sweet home unit. With the money left over from the sale of the home my mother set about refurbishing the new place with new furniture. What she made of the place was astonishing! She made it warm, tasteful and a pleasure to be in. I realised she had always had the good taste, just never the money to express it.
    Vanessa Walker thanked debanger3
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.