maackia

What’s missing?

maackia
5 år sedan

Kommentarer (49)

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    5 år sedan

Someone sitting on that bench with a gin and tonic?

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    5 år sedan

Uh, a collie? Colorful flowers? Kids playing frisbee? I give up.

• jean1
    5 år sedan
    Birdfeeders, hummingbird feeders, lots of colorful flowers.
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    5 år sedan

nothing ...ken

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    5 år sedan
    Something in the middle where the new seed is coming up. Possibly removed a tree.
    hmmm......maybe opening things up for some sunshine?
  • jurasico
    5 år sedan

I like large rocks/boulders in the yard for contrast.

• maackia
    Författare
    5 år sedan

“Possibly removed a tree. hmmm......maybe opening things up for some sunshine?”

Bingo! However, I do like the gin & tonic idea. A couple months ago I had a large White Pine removed exactly as Al surmised.

Another clue is the espalier-like oak. The sun now pours into the border area and is already making a difference with V. nudum and Fothergilla. I will be shrinking the lawn area, but that’s next years project.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    5 år sedan
    I like the layout !
    shape of the beds/grassy area, stand alone trees etc. Looks nice. Easy maintenance and welcoming...
    Al
  • maackia
    Författare
    5 år sedan

Good suggestion, Yardvaark. It needs to be tied together for aesthtic and practical reasons. I don’t know for sure what I’ll do, but I like your idea more than any other at this point. The only thing confusing is the line from the oak circle to the weeping hemlock.

Removing an established — but troublesome — tree is not something I enjoy doing. Still, several weeks later I feel it was the right thing to do. Or I’m rationalizing...

This is what it looked like:

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    5 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 5 år sedan

"The only thing confusing is the line from the oak circle to the weeping hemlock." That line belongs to the bed behind. Not the hemlock. Just cut the end part of drawing off.

One of the beautiful things about plants is that they don't have feelings or care about the future.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    5 år sedan

"One of the beautiful things about plants is that they don't have feelings or care about the future."

As far as we know.

I try not to be too cavalier about it.

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    5 år sedan

some ideas:

maackia thanked Dig Doug's Designs
  • Sara Malone Zone 9b
    5 år sedan

I just had two live oaks removed; they were adolescent, been in the ground maybe 15 years. We have an enormous valley oak and I was nervous about its future so I was planting possible replacements. Well, I had the valley oak ultra-sounded and it is 100% solid at the base, 95% solid six feet up, and the live oaks were way too close together so I took out two, leaving the one farthest away from the granddaddy. What a breath of fresh air...and what an opportunity to plant something else! So I appreciate the difficulty of deciding to take out an established tree, but also the feeling of new possibilities once it's gone. And hey, that summer house is a PERFECT spot for a g&t.

Here's the biggie:

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    5 år sedan

"As far as we know." [that plants have no thoughts or feelings.] The study has been exhaustive and not an iota of evidence has come forth to show that it's even a remote possibility. Without any brain or nervous system structure, ability to have thoughts or form concepts, there is zero reason to think claims to the contrary should be entertained. It would hardly be cavalier to believe what all evidence supports and none opposes!

• plantkiller_il_5
    5 år sedan

WOW what a grand daddy,, not to mention the form & foliage surronding (that would be a good name for a blog)

& Mac ,for collectors , losing a species & gaining cultivar room...priceless

ron

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    5 år sedan
    My trees get happy...When it rains a lot during the dry season they get happy and show it !
  • PRO
    Yardvaark
    5 år sedan

"My trees get happy..." But "happy" in a plant's world, which is mainly looking fine, is not anywhere close to thinking and feeling.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    5 år sedan

Yardvaark don't be a downer here. This is a happy forum. We don't get too technical. :-)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    5 år sedan

Sara Malone, I think you're misinterpreting something.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    5 år sedan

I should stop joking...

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    5 år sedan

And I shall continue. They come, here and there.

• mazerolm_3a
    5 år sedan

@maackia: your garden is beautiful but I do like Yaardvark’s suggestions.

@plantkiller: Form and Foliage IS a blog! :). https://formandfoliage.wordpress.com/

• User
    5 år sedan

That big white pine had to go.

Something with some rocks, even a small pond with fountain or water fall in that same area. I've always liked the sound of trickling water.

My trees never divulge their true feelings. :0)

• PRO
    Form and Foliage
    5 år sedan

Plantkiller was making a joke, too! Ron, no one understands us...

• plantkiller_il_5
    5 år sedan

"no one understands us..." that would make a good name for a band

• User
    5 år sedan

Or:

Sara and the Plantkillers.

Ironic in some ways. ;-))

• maackia
    Författare
    5 år sedan

I was going to wait until next year to tackle this project, but I couldn’t help myself and decided the best time is now. The sod has been removed around the Bur Oak, but I’m now pondering how to tie the large two-stemmed oak and the weeping hemlock together. Any ideas?

My thought is to plant a small tree or shrub to the left of the hemlock, but struggling to identify something that might work. I could make this a separate bed, but if I felt really ambitious I could tie it in with the border.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    5 år sedan
    Its fun to build a real big garden...
    Its a lot of work to maintain one...
    I think the large oak looks fine in the yard and the hemlock could be moved into the garden.
    Only an opinion from a 64 yr old. You'll do what's best for you I'm sure!
    Al
    maackia thanked alley_cat_gw_7b
  • User
    5 år sedan

Consider any mounding you want to do before you plant in a new area. Boulders too. :-)

maackia thanked User
  • maackia
    Författare
    5 år sedan

Boulders? Mounding? Geez, Bill, lifting sod is physical enough! Are you coming down to help with this? Bring boulders and skid steer...

I agree the little hemlock looks out of place, especially since the pine was taken down. I could move it, but it is always reminding me how happy it is (Yardvaark humor). I really do want to shrink the lawn, which will not only allow me to plant, but also make mowing easier.

BTW, if you look at the second to last pic you can see the Bur Oak suffered damage at the base from riding lawn mower, which was being operated by my spouse. She does most of the mowing, so I didn't dare get upset about it. However, it did light a fire under me to get this project started. She mowed yesterday and stated how much easier it was. :)

• pete_powell Columbus, O-H!
    5 år sedan

P. Banksiana ‘Uncle Fogy’. Looks to be about the right amount of space (to grow long term) and sun as well. I think one would thrive there and look great.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    5 år sedan

You’re missing colors, beautiful roses. There are a lot of hardy roses can take the cold in zone 4.

• whaas_5a
    5 år sedan

I was going to say the same thing about colors. Repeat a border plant like catmint which is a breeze to take care of. Get some purple foilage in there. Add some late summer blooms like H. paniculata.

I like the tie in with the oak. perhaps more angles of the hemlock may help us but based on what I see I agree move it out of there and include it in the bed as it doesn't seem that the area would benefit from a little mini bed

• User
    5 år sedan

'are you coming down to help with this?'

Sorry this board is strictly for discussion. No soliciting allowed. :-)

• maackia
    Författare
    5 år sedan

Yes, Roses! I love roses, but so do deer. They browse them relentlessly. I do agree that some color would be welcome, but we are knocking on September’s door. Color this time of year is a challenge, but I won’t say impossible. Suggestions are always welcome.

Whaas, how do you suppose P. omorika ‘Bruns Pendula’ would look along side the hemlock?

Crazy ‘Uncle Fogy’ would be thinking outside the box. I will work on that image tomorrow. :)

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    5 år sedan

LOVE the uncle. I have 4-5 of them. Always entertaining. For color, what about yellow foliage? It pops!

• pete_powell Columbus, O-H!
    5 år sedan

How about some uncle fogy pics Sara (so we can imagine them in the spot:) ?

• coniferbros
    5 år sedan

Lol Sara, I have 3 uncles myself on just 1 acre. You really can't have too many!

Many refer to the Jack Pines as scrubby ugly things, but the cultivars are great. Mostly bulletproof, they do very well for me.

This one i'm keeping on the ground

'Schoodic' is a good one also if 'Uncle Fogy' is too wacky for you

maackia, it's hard to tell for sure without seeing it in person, but have you considered making a seperate bed around the lone hemlock? Forget the flowers, stick with conifers!

• stuartlawrence (7b L.I. NY)
    5 år sedan

Wow. Your Uncle Fogys are real beauties! Is one of your Uncle Fogys in shade?

• whaas_5a
    5 år sedan

For color now you have plenty options that go nicely with conifers. Hydrangea blooms are now turning a nice burgundy and pop off of many different conifers. There are quite a few sedums as well. For a larger specimen consider seven son flower. Mine is just starting to bloom and the pollinators are digging it.

pendula Bruns might work but I like gold fingers better for that area!

• coniferbros
    5 år sedan

Thanks Stu. The 2nd one is in light shade under a medium-sized bald cypress. I don’t think it would like full shade, but seems to like it‘s filtered sun location.

• maackia
    Författare
    5 år sedan

Coniferbros, I hadn’t considered a separate bed around the hemlock. I was sort of locked in on including the large oak, which is why it’s valuable to get ideas from others. BTW, the ‘Schoodic’ growing over the rock looks great.

• stuartlawrence (7b L.I. NY)
    5 år sedan

"The 2nd one is in light shade under a medium-sized bald cypress." If this tree does well in shade then I have the perfect spot for it. Thanks for the info.

• Mike McGarvey
    5 år sedan

I think groundcovers are missing. Maybe a few flowers too. I regularly take down large trees, some native and some I planted 30 plus years ago.

• maackia
    Författare
    5 år sedan

“I regularly take down large trees, some native and some I planted 30 plus years ago.”

And you feel no shame? ;)

• Mike McGarvey
    5 år sedan

LOL, Not at all. I'm a tree hugger with three chainsaws.

• whaas_5a
    5 år sedan

Everything grows like a weed out there though!

• Mike McGarvey
    5 år sedan

It's because our growing season is so long. Winter that's cold enough to stop growth is short. There's plenty of moisture in the Fall, Winter, and Spring. Winters aren't cold enough to stop growth for very long. Summers are dry. This Summer has been particularly dry. One inch since May. Lawns are brown and some trees and shrubs are dying, even natives. My largest and deepest pond is almost dry. The goldfish are suffering. If you look close, you can see a little bit of water. In the Winter the water is about six inches below the bridge.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.