jenny_atkinson20

Wood burning stove advice.

Jenny Atkinson
5 år sedan
senast redigerad:5 år sedan

Hi, Moved house a couple of months ago and thinking of getting rid of the ugly 90's style electric fire for a wood burning stove with a plain distressed looking beam on top. Not sure what is even behind the fire but the house does have a proper chimney (see picture), we could rip out the fire to find its all bricked up! Any advice appreciated on how to go about this? Also cost for all works, I did get a quote for £1500 including everything, they have not been out to see the house yet but they did ask me for a picture of the fireplace, chimney from the outside and my postcode so they could look it up on goole street.

Jenny's ideas · Mer info

Kommentarer (15)

• Angie
    5 år sedan
    One if the first things we did when we moved here was to open up the fireplace and have a log burner installed. Have never regretted it. Our fireplace was completely covered over. A small section had plaster board covering the hole but most of the fireplace was bricked up with breeze blocks. Hubby started trying to remove them but they were solid! A friend who's a builder came round with a big drill and opened the whole thing up. It was exciting to find a lovely fireplace there.
    Next stage was to get the chimney sweep in and he removed a whole load of twigs where the crows had nested over the years.
    Then hubby rendered the inside of the fireplace before the stove fitter came in. Sadly the bricks were not good enough to leave exposed.
    At some stage we had a hearth fitted, maybe just before the stove went in. That was 3 years ago and we love the stove and the whole look in the room. Just make sure you have a good cowl fitted or you'll have bird trouble!
  • Angie
    5 år sedan
    I should have said not all stove fitters do everything. Ours just fitted the stove (plus lined chimney and put cowl on) but did advise us on who to contact for the rest.
  • Houzz-ID: 738189336
    5 år sedan
    It is important to get the right size of log burner for your room and a good company to install the chimney liner and to maybe fit a cap to the chimney top.
  • tamp75
    5 år sedan
    Ours cost around £1000 for installation which included widening the opening of the fireplace, lining the chimney, the cost of the flue & the chimney cowl and installing the wood burner. Cost of the wood burner, slate hearth & ‘wooden’ beam above was extra. Our ‘wooden’ beam is actually ceramic so is heatproof & just hangs on the wall, like a picture would - much easier to install!
  • JesmondDene
    5 år sedan

We are in the process of installation. I understood the need to work out the size of the wood burner to give the correct amount of heat, what I didn't know was that wood burners also have a size of flue that has to fit the chimney. Check before you order ( lesson learnt!)

Charlotte from www.woodburnerwarehouse.co.uk offered fantastic service and advice and a price promise/ reductions during my purchase.

• Emily
    5 år sedan
    Considering the dire consequences of a stove not installed properly I’d be afraid of having one unless all the work and the stove itself was provided by one place. Even if it costs a bit more. Mine cost approx £1400 for installation alone but a real fire transforms a room as well as chucking out serious heat!
  • JesmondDene
    5 år sedan

I suppose Emily it depends on locality. We only have one local registered fitter, but he doesn't supply wood burners only the equipment to install a purchased one.

• Jenny Atkinson
    Författare
    5 år sedan

Thanks for the input everyone, still thinking on this, we pulled out the fire and looked at the chimney, looks ok to us however there is a gas pipe there presumably from an old gas fire, so unsure now, this would, need to be dealt with probably increasing the cost, looking into real flame gas stoves as an alternative.

• PRO
    Josefina
    5 år sedan

We changed from a gas one to a wood burner when we moved into our house last year. The wood burner was about 750 (cheapest of the best quality ones we could find that looked good) and installing plus chimney sweep I think was about 800. So all together about 1500.

But SO worth it. Love the sound of burning wood, warms the house up within minutes. Just great!

• N J
    5 år sedan
    Were looking into getting one fitted at the moment I to our new (to us) cottage, salesman said about either getting bricks acid washed (?) and left exposed or rendered inside or the other thing was a metal liner, is it just personal choice? What do you all have? We’re keeping the big slate mantelpiece. it’s all sealed up at the moment with a tiled gas fire, so no idea what it’s like inside but we’re definitely going for a company who do everything. I’m having enough trouble getting tradesfolk in for the rest of the cottage!
  • Jenny Atkinson
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    Hi all, thanks for the advice, decided to go for gas real flame in the end, wood burner sounded like a nice idea but my husband who grew up with these reminded me of the hard work and mess involved in maintaining it - wood chopping, going out in the cold to get it, dealing with wind back flow of dust and dirt into the room, taking ages to light, disposal of ash etc! Decided the novelty would soon wear off. See photo below of results.
  • Sam Potter
    5 år sedan
    I've gone for an open fire. I also replaced a gas fire. The original fireplace had been ripped out but rather than replace it, I went for a raw look which I like. With an open fire lining the chimney isn't mandatory, so I saved money by not doing that. However I did have to get the chimney uncapped and loose brickwork around the top of the chimney removed ( they just made the chimney stack shorter). Unfortunately once they opened it up, it revealed a lot of collapse down inside the chimney, so the work ended up costing £1500 with scaffolding. I don't regret it though, especially because recent high winds brought down another chimney stack in the street, and mine was easily as ramshackle before the work.
    As for the work involved in looking after a fire, I have central heating, so I only have to chop wood when I feel like a cosy night by the fire. It doesn't throw out as much heat as a wood burner but it doesn't have to.
  • Ellie
    5 år sedan

Jenny, how are you getting on with yours. It looks lovely! What is it and where did you get it? We are considering something similar.

• Jenny Atkinson
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    Hi Ellie, that picture is the finished product, we got a place called Wigan Fireplaces to do ours, they did the whole lot, the model is a crystal flame gas stove. X
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.