502downtowner

What to do with an old wall painting from the builder 100 years ago

502downtowner
5 år sedan

I have two old wall paintings in the foyer. Apparently they were gifts from the builder 100 years ago. What should I do? Keep it and add a frame around it? Any inspirational photos would be helpful!

Kommentarer (8)

• Darzy
    5 år sedan

If you love the paintings, restore and have them framed. If they aren't to your liking, find out the value and sell them.

• thinkdesignlive
    5 år sedan
    Also, please show both murals in the space....it's hard to advise without knowing all the details. It's very easy to add trim work around the mural but then to advise color, scale etc is best done knowing more context.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 år sedan

Sorry but unless you love them I think they have had their day in the sun get some art you love and paint over thoseor covere them with another layer of thin drywall so that maybe someone down the road will want them exposed.There is no historical society thet would force you to keep those in your home.

• PRO
    Rebel Walls
    5 år sedan

Here's something wild and crazy: Scan or photograph it and make a beautiful wall mural out of it! Emma at rebelwalls.com

• artistsharonva
    5 år sedan

It is hard to tell size of & material by photo. Look for a signature. Then look up name. Make sure it's not a famous artist. I doubt it, but you never know. It may be of value. If it's a well known artist then call an art appraiser to ask what to do.

I agree with Darzy.

If you enjoy them, keep them.

If wall mural enjoy as is.

If on paper, get them professionally framed to help preserve them.

If on canvas, professional to put on frame.

If you don't like it, then...

if it's a wall mural, get a professional photos high quality to preserve the image, so the image can be reproduced & sold. Then put another painting over it or lastly paint over.

If it's another medium, then

sell it.

I personally keep art around I find that I enjoy. I have several original paintings given to me, that I just didn't like, so I sold them to someone who did. I even donated some. I rather art find a home where it is enjoyed than be hidden away in storage. Art is meant to be seen.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 år sedan

Unless you love them? Out. No point in spending a dime on a "gift "you do not like, that will annoyingly keep on GIVING

• Kim Q
    5 år sedan

It's okay to let it go. The builder won't mind.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.