ksal2010

Exterior Colonial Update - What do we need to know or think about?

ksal2010
5 år sedan
senast redigerad:5 år sedan

We have been making decisions about renovations to the exterior of our garrison colonial for the past few months. Our project is officially scheduled to start in March. The main changes will be to add a farmers porch to the front of our house, to make all windows the same size as the ground floor windows (they will be black), to replace all siding/trim, and to square off our garage trim. We now have to decide about things like:

-How thick should the Azak trim be around our windows? What style trim should we use?

-Is there anything we should think about or ask for related to the Azak trim on rest of house style-wise to be make sure it is current?

-Should the porch roof be metal or traditional shingle?

-What should we do for lighting on the porch over garage?

-Should we do something to make the face of the garage be more current?

-How should we landscape/cut the driveway in front of the porch?

Truthfully I am a little overwhelmed by all of this and would greatly appreciate any advice you have about any of the above or things we aren't thinking about but should be.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Kommentarer (7)

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 år sedan

No one can give you advice in a vacuum. Post some photos.

• ksal2010
    Författare
    5 år sedan

Sorry, I just added the 3-d sketches of the house with porch (one has example of metal roof). Plus the original of the house.

• felizlady
    5 år sedan
    Your third inspiration photo is beautiful...wide porch, windows in arched garage doors, simple landscaping across the porch front. I always like a tree in the front landscape, but make sure it is planted far enough away from any structure so that when it has reached its full mature height and circumference it will not be rubbing against that structure on a windy day.
    A metal roof can be noisy if not pitched enough for rain or hail to be encouraged in a downward direction. I love the look of a metal roof and the material comes in a wide range of colors.
    Add couple of lantern light fixtures on the porch supports to light the entry stairs and another at the door. Additional lanterns lights can brighten the garage front. Leave enough space between the driveway curve and the porch for landscape.
  • dyliane
    5 år sedan

remove the fake shutters to start

• PRO
    Clopay
    5 år sedan

iely put some thought into the look of your garage doors since they are a front-facing feature. A carriage house style would fit well with your home and add character. Garage door manufacturer Clopay has a Door Imagination System you can use to upload a photo or rendering of your house and try on different garage doors. https://www.clopaydoor.com/door-imagination-system Some options to consider are the Coachman Collection https://www.clopaydoor.com/coachman and the Gallery Collection https://www.clopaydoor.com/gallerysteel. If you add windows to the door, make sure they are not partially covered by the angled garage door opening. It might be nice to square that off because it dates the house. If you keep it, I don't recommend arch windows because the different shapes will compete visually.

Craftsman Cottage on Cape Cod · Mer info

Heron Gate · Mer info

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 år sedan

Here are some photos for inspiration:

Farm House · Mer info

The Owens Model at Old Davidson · Mer info

Front Facade · Mer info

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.