jabiruhr

bathroom tiles - textured or plain white tile?

jabiruhr
5 år sedan
Planning for family bathroom Reno underway. Room is 2.5m (L) x 2m (w) and 2.34m high ceiling.
I'm seeking views on a tile combination. Thinking turquoise Birch feature tile on one wall (floor to ceiling) and white on two other walls. The white is gloss and textured/patterned. Tile shop suggest using a plain white gloss.

The room gets plenty of light and I think the patterned white 300x600 tile may work.
The solid turquoise subway tile is for the vanity splashback. Vanity cupboard in timber laminex and undercounter sink with plainer stone top. Floor tile colour as shown but will be 20x20.
Welcome any thoughts on this dilemma.

Kommentarer (14)

• Tilly
    5 år sedan
    I have done feature walls with gloss white in all my bathroom and powder rooms, all different but all work.
    It works well.
    I wouldn’t do the texture because there will be too many features.
    I did subways in one bathroom, button tiles in the main and hexagon in the powder room.
    All the rest of the walls are tiled in 300x600 white gloss.
    jabiruhr thanked Tilly
  • bigreader
    5 år sedan
    Plain white, not textured vote from me.
    jabiruhr thanked bigreader
  • PRO
    Style Precinct Interior Design & Decoration
    5 år sedan

Hi jabiruhr

My advice would be to go with the plain white gloss tile on the other walls. You will have too much going on. Focus on creating a feature with the Birch feature tile and the room will be better balanced. Sometimes less is more! Best wishes

jabiruhr thanked Style Precinct Interior Design & Decoration
  • Lea R
    5 år sedan

Would love to see a photo of this when you are finished jabiruhr - I was looking at that same textured tile as well so we must have similar tastes and I'd love to see how it all turns out.

jabiruhr thanked Lea R
  • Sophie C.
    5 år sedan
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>This is my bathroom. My feature time has more grey green than yours, but it's from the same range. I let the feature time stand out & went for a large white wall time of the same size on other walls. The floor is a large format grey tile. Have fun with your renovation
    jabiruhr thanked Sophie C.
  • Sophie C.
    5 år sedan

my bathroom

jabiruhr thanked Sophie C.
  • olldroo
    5 år sedan

Definitely a plain white, but I would check your whites to ensure it matches the background of the patterned tile. Not sure about the turquoise around the vanity though, I don't think your room is big enough for two features.

jabiruhr thanked olldroo
  • me me
    5 år sedan
    Agree with Oldroo, have plain white tiles. It doesn't need the plain turquoise feature.
  • jabiruhr
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    Thanks everyone for your comments. After doing some more thinking, research and models of the concept we're back to the drawing board. Trying some different combinations.
  • PRO
    Eco Building Services
    5 år sedan

Tile selection can have a big impact on the cost of your bathroom reno. The cost of the tiles per sqm is one thing, but did you know that most tilers charge different rates for the "Type" of tile laid

large format and or vitrified tiles will cost more to install

These are a few hard and fast rules we give our clients when they are selecting tiles for a bathroom renovation

1 - opt for darker tiles and darker grout for the floor - as a wet area light coloured tiles on the ground are harder to keep clean

2 - If you are opting for a feature tile - let it be the hero. That means make the rest of the tiles plain - large format subway tiles give you enough texture without detracting from the feature

3 - always opt for square tiles on the ground - trying to get the correct falls using rectangular tiles will mean you will have extra cuts and the floor will look a mess.

The second reason we opt for square format for the floor is because of subway tiles

You see, back when everyone was opting for square tiles on walls, it was easy to install square on the floor and get all the grout lines to match. Now most people are opting for subway tiles, you can never get all the grout lines to match, therefore installing square means you dont have to match grout lines as they are different format.

If you are installing your subway tiles vertically, then there is a chance you will still be able to get all grout lines to match if you have selected the same sized square format tile

hope this makes sense

I have added a link to a blog that explains more about tile selection

• olldroo
    5 år sedan

Sorry, Eco, I could not disagree more about dark -v- light tiles on the floor. I started with white tiles, then went dark and could not wait to get back to white again. The dark tiles showed every piece of lint, fluff, dust and water marks - just a splash made the tiles look dirty. I can't say I've ever found the white tiles harder to clean at all - the room still gets the same use regardless of the colour of the tiles.

• PRO
    Eco Building Services
    5 år sedan

Not talking about the tiles olldroo, as much as the grout. Unless of course you use dark grout with your white tiles, but then thats personal preference. As is using white tiles on the floor - Thats why our interior designers all recommend dark floor tiles in wet areas

• olldroo
    5 år sedan

Haha, Eco, probably why I'm not an interior designer. I like to know my surfaces are pristine clean and white really does it for me. When you think about it, things get dirty when they are used so it really doesn't matter whether light or dark, the same dirt will be there and it all takes the same amount of cleaning, it is more dust and fluff that shows up too quickly on dark floors and we won't even mention talc powder. That was the best part of my joeys leaving home.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.