sonya_oden

Help with color for wave mural

Sonya Oden
4 år sedan
My daughter wants me to try and recreate this in her bedroom. Would either of these color palettes work or would you recommend different colors? I am specifically wondering about the green color, but if you have suggestions on any of the colors they are welcome!

Kommentarer (23)

• tatts
    4 år sedan

Sure, why not?

To be clear: you cannot--cannot--rely on color reproduction on different computer monitors/tablets/phones/laptops. What I see may be nothing like the paint chips. Nobody (virtually nobody) has calibrated monitors, and colors on monitors are produced very differently than in print or paint chips.

You have to make this decision on your own.

• ilikefriday
    4 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 4 år sedan

If you want it to look as close as possible to your inspiration photo, I would use the bottom pallet. In the top pallet, the blue is too light and the green is too dark. Also you need to blend to get it to look like the inspiration. I would use 3 colors. Blue, green, and white. Blend the in-between colors.

• hollybar
    4 år sedan

Likely you need a deeper and more shaded wall colour to start. But,on my monitor the colour Sky High that is shown in both of your assortments, reads differently. By a fair bit. Different light,angle,swatch blah di blah.That is why asking here can only get you a guess.

Also: https://www.magicmurals.com/subject/beach-tropical/waves-surfing.html

• Sonya Oden
    Författare
    4 år sedan
    Yeah I figured it would mostly be guesses, but I appreciate knowing that the green is too dark or that I possibly need a deeper base color!
  • NG. hsf.
    4 år sedan

Print the picture and take it to a paint store. Right now none of your choices fully recreate the wave colors and the wall.

• Sonya Oden
    Författare
    4 år sedan
    That’s smart!! Thank you
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 år sedan

I agree that is the best and good on you for tackling this .Did you see the DIY for it on cozy cottage.

• cat_ky
    4 år sedan

The color for the wall before painting on the mural, is not dark enough. Try something like this, its much closer to the wall color in the photo, although, not exact

SW 6773 Rapture Blue

• Sonya Oden
    Författare
    4 år sedan
    I think your right! I am thinking Behr snowboard might be a good match.
  • ilikefriday
    4 år sedan

• Sonya Oden
    Författare
    4 år sedan

I’ve been trying to match it to the lighter portion where the sun light is. Maybe I should e looking towards the shadow?

• ilikefriday
    4 år sedan

Sonya have you ever painted or will this be your first piece of artwork? I think this is an awesome mural for a bedroom. The second color pallet or snowboard will work. The difference between the two darker colors is so slight that it won't matter. The darker you go, the more dramatic the wave will be. I doubt that the inspiration wall has a solid color background. To make it more dramatic, they likely did a lighter color in the middle, where the crest of the wave is, and a darker color around the edges. The difference could be lighting but maybe not. The more shading you do, the more depth the painting will have.

• Sonya Oden
    Författare
    4 år sedan

No it will be my first attempt! I did an ombré wall once. I guess as long as she like the base color that’s the most important part right :)

• ilikefriday
    4 år sedan

My suggestion would be to think of the wall the same way you did with the ombre. I would paint it like this and blend the edges. Then paint the wave on top. You dont have to buy 3 different colors of paint. Buy two colors for the base, the darkest blue and white, and mix the 2 in-between colors you need from that.

Put the darkest color on the left and right edges of the wall. Mix the two colors in the middle.

• suzyq53
    4 år sedan

I'm no great artist but I don't think I'd use paint colors like this. Maybe paint the entire wall your base color then buy acrylic paint at the craft store to mix your own colors. You could probably just get white, blue and yellow.

• Sonya Oden
    Författare
    4 år sedan

I love those colors! What are they?

• Sonya Oden
    Författare
    4 år sedan

SuzyQ53 I never thought to use acrylic paint!

• ilikefriday
    4 år sedan

Sonya - are you referring to the colors that I posted above? I just pulled them from the wall. If you like them then print it out and have the store color match. I paint all the time and the method I posted above is exactly how I would do it if I were painting the wall. Besides the white and the blue paint for the base coat, I would get a sample size of green. Then you will have all that you need to complete the wave.

• Sonya Oden
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Ilikefriday thank you!! Since you said you paint often....What are your thoughts in acrylic paint vs regular interior paint for the actual wave?

• ilikefriday
    4 år sedan

I would use regular interior paint for the entire thing. If you really want to make the wave pop, do a blue and a white paint in matte. Get a sample can of green in semi gloss and a sample white in high gloss. Use the high gloss white to highlight spots on the wave.

• ilikefriday
    4 år sedan

Acrylics could be used but sample cans of interior wall paint are dirt cheap. I usually go for cheap. After it's on the wall you won't be able to tell the difference.

• Kathleen K
    4 år sedan

I run out of acrylic colors just painting a large canvas so I would definitely get those sample jars of house paint. It might take a couple jars of each color. Craft store paint is the most watered down. House paint is a little thicker and the thickest is Artist paints in a tube. Use a bit of that in white to add texture to the seafoam.
    Test everything on cardboard first. Test in the light of the room.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.