nickimc66

Advice for changing a chandelier on an extra-vaulted ceiling

Nicki
4 år sedan

We are in the process of purchasing a townhome built in 1983. The stairwell between the 1st and 2nd floor has a dated chandelier that is attached at the ceiling. The challenge is, the the ceiling in this area is vaulted well beyond the 2nd floor. I plan on hiring an electrician, but I don't really want to have to build scaffolding and risk injury just to change out a light. Can the cord just be cut at the fixture (with the power turned off obviously) and a new fixture rewired to the existing cord (using the existing chain as well)? Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated--the light has to go!

Kommentarer (11)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    4 år sedan

I don't think so. You'll have to get a professional electrician/installer in there. Just make sure he's bonded and insured and make sure your homeowners policy has the right kind of coverage in case there is an accident.

I would suggest a chandelier that cascades or has multiple pendants at varying heights vs. one long extension chain or cord. Without having seen the rest of your home, here are examples of what I mean:

MODERN LIGHTING FOR FOYER, MODERN ENTRY STAIRWAY LIGHTS FOR HIGH CEILING FOYER · Mer info

TANZANIA | Custom Two-Story Glass Chandelier | Contemporary Style Lighting · Mer info

Stairwell · Mer info

• Brown Dog
    4 år sedan

Hire an experienced electrician. This is not an unusual situation. It will be up to the electrician how he/she wants to get up there. Also, this could be looked as an opportunity. Did you want to paint your hallway? If there's scaffolding, get the painting done at the same time. Can also paint the ceiling and clean those windows.

• suzyq53
    4 år sedan

Weirdly, I have seen custom hoists installed that lower the entire fixture for cleaning and bulb changing.

• suzyq53
    4 år sedan

Wait - how does cutting the cord help you replace bulbs in the future?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 år sedan

If you select an LED fixture you'll not have to change a bulb in your life time.

• Nicki
    Författare
    4 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 4 år sedan

Thanks for all the great feedback and lighting ideas. I did find this nifty little $4 (!) gadget after some further digging. Really only works with a chain, which the light has. A very smart idea for anyone with a similar dilemma. https://www.homedepot.com/b/Lighting-Ceiling-Lighting-Accessories/Sea-Gull-Lighting/N-5yc1vZb52Zc7ng

• User
    4 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 4 år sedan

Nicki, we have those Seagull splicers on 2 of our chandeliers. One is high and one is just plain heavy, so to change it out would require some kind of sawhorse deal (on top of the dining room table) to rest it on while we disconnect the wires. The splicers work very well and are available in clear, gold and black (when I bought mine, anyway). Also the two halfs just "unplug" if you need to disconnect in future...

Whatever you decide to do, don't fear the scaffolding! :) We rented from home depot. It was very reasonable, it fit in the minivan, and it was easy to put together. I have climbed a ladder to my 16(?) 20(?) whatever foot ceilings to hang drapes, but the scaffolding was MUCH steadier and easier since we could paint a large section at once before we had to move it.

Your next light should be led bulbs so you don't have to change them so often...if you get a dimmer, you will need one specifically for LED's.

Also, it's a shame you don't like that one. I think is smashing. Although I would want it in an easily accessible area as crystal has to be cleaned more than once a year :-/

Nicki thanked User
  • Nicki
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Just a quick closing follow up. My electrician was able to splice the new light into the existing wiring. It was pretty easy just using a regular ladder and pulling everything over to the upper landing while he worked on it. The new light came with a chain too, so it spliced in nicely. And no glass to clean :)

• lem323
    2 år sedan

hi nicki, thanks for the update on this. we have a similar situation going on in our house so helpful to know the electrician can splice the wiring together (had no idea this was a thing). just curious, was this a very pricey project? i know the fixture can be pricey depending what you get but wasnt sure about the installation piece to it.

• Nicki
    Författare
    2 år sedan

Hi Lem323! Splicing it in was way more cost effective than changing the whole thing out (which would have required scaffolding in a stairwell...no thanks!). My electrician was able to hook the old chandelier over to him while safely standing on a ladder on the top landing, cut the old wire, splice in the new light, and connect the chains. He didn't end up needing the $4 splicer I bought. The chains matched close enough for me. You can see the black electrical tape if you look for it, but I don't :) I can hook the light over to the landing to change bulbs and I am able to easily dust it with an extended duster while standing on the stairs. It's an open cage design (no glass), so I highly recommend that to keep cleaning easy. Hope that helps! Here's the light I purchased: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MKRBRQ3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.