charlie_mcfadden

1930s Bedroom Fireplace - Advice needed

Charlie Mcfadden
4 år sedan

Hi folks!

I have been redecorating my bedroom, and decided to open the boarded-up fireplace. What I found behind was a fairly dilapidated 1930s fireplace, and now I'm unsure of what to do with it.

I was told by the previous owner that there had been a gas fire in there, but it was removed some time ago. The chimney is also still open. I don't really have any interest in using it as an actual fireplace, or adding in some kind of electric heater, so this was more to get some suggestions or ideas on how to make it more aesthetically pleasing. (I'm painting the room grey, but haven't decided on any additional colours for curtains/lampshade etc.)

If possible, I'd like to just re-tile it, or perhaps remove the tiles and paint it, leaving the metal (iron?) exposed. As you can see from the photo, there appears to be some "backing" missing from the right-hand side where the tiles are absent. What is that stuff called, and how do I re-apply it? (Assuming I removed all of the tiles and wanted to tile the whole thing again)

Anyway, if you could give me any tips or suggestions that would be much appreciated!

I've attached two pictures, the first is of my fireplace (in it's current state), and the second is a photo of one of my neighbors' fireplace, which I believe is exactly the same (albeit in better condition).

Kommentarer (12)

• rinked
    4 år sedan

Remove it, close off the pipe+hole and finish the wall.

• Sonia
    4 år sedan

Do you like it? I certainly do - it has potential. It can easily be tarted up If you do Like it. I would remove the tiles, add new ones which suit the decor of your room, then paint the wooden surround either good old white, or a more daring black or grey. May be worth getting the chimney swept too. Here’s a few ideas for you:

• PRO
    Annie Webb Interiors
    4 år sedan

I agree, think twice about blocking it in as it adds a bit of character to the room. The fire surround seems exactly like the neighbours so it could be original and its fairly unobtrusive. A big mirror or pictures over the mantel and you have a great focal point. You could also use the recess next to the window to put in some storage or shelves. I like the idea of black and white coordinating with the grey.

• Charlie Mcfadden
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Thanks very much for the ideas!

Yes, I’d like to keep it exposed, I like it as a feature!

And the shelves for the alcove on the left have already been ordered! :)

• Jonathan
    4 år sedan

Personally I think the fireplace is in the best position for the bed so I would remove it.
    If you feel the room needs more period charm consider upgrading the coving to a period style or having more ornate skirtings, or adding shutters.

• smartypantsnancy
    4 år sedan

It’s lovely, it just needs different tiles

• E D
    4 år sedan

What is the shape of the chimney breast? It's difficult to see, while your neighbour's room doesn't appear to have one at all.

• Charlie Mcfadden
    Författare
    4 år sedan

It's a bit odd. The chimney breast is flush with the wall on the left hand side, and then there is an alcove with a 10cm depth on the right. You are correct in saying that my neighbour doesn't have this. I believe that may be due to their flat being at the end of a terrace, (that room in particular having an exterior wall) whereas my own is a mid-terrce, with another neighbor on the other side.

(Personally, I like having the alcove more!)

• PRO
    Brandler London
    4 år sedan

I would keep the fireplace, replace the tiles and perhaps consider painting the surround.

Depending on your taste, you might even consider buying a reclaimed Victorian/Edwardian cast iron fire place which are generally inexpensive and have a great deal of character.

• Charlie Mcfadden
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Hi everyone! Just posting an update to show how it’s all progressing. Thank you all very much for your suggestions and advice!

In the end, we opted to take the easiest possible approach. We re-used the old MDF covering as a backing board cut out a hole for so that the fireplace is visible, and tiled it out. We then made a “surround” for the “hole” (because the tiles wouldn’t fit and we didn’t fancy cutting any more than we necessary) and stuck it on over the MDF.

I then painted the “feet” to get rid of the sludgy grey colour.

I’m happy with the results! Certainly not practical or usable as a heat source in any shape or form, but I think it’s nice to look at, at the very least!

Next step is to find something for the hearth, not quite sure what to do just yet!

• Sonia
    4 år sedan

Lovely! Really like the tiles. An offcut of granite or marble or quartz would look nice, or even a smooth cut piece of sandstone paving cut to size (cheap too!). Or use the same tiles for the hearth. So many options!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.