webuser_632697883

colour scheme help

Matthew Swain
4 år sedan

I am a first time buyer currently renovating. The interior of the property is fully stripped and in the process of putting back together will several ideas going forward but I am struggling to decide on the exterior. The peddle dash render has to go so will be re do in smooth render but need advice/help on render colour, window/door colour and cladding colour. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Kommentarer (10)

• Matthew Swain
    Författare
    4 år sedan

I do really like the first photo. If I had the money I would render the whole house but unfortunately I can’t at the moment so was going render just where it currently is. This being said will the dark windows look a bit dull against the brick?

• Sonia
    4 år sedan

Yes the dark windows may look a bit dull, but my sister has just anthracite windows put in yellow brick house and it does look rather good. I think grey green windows look nice with red brick. Gives a more traditional look Though.

• PRO
    Brandler London
    4 år sedan

If you are on a budget, have you considered painting the pebble dash? This would give you the effect of a rough render and would save considerably on cost which you could spend elsewhere.; for example replacing with wooden slat facade section with something with a more contemporary colour.

• Matthew Swain
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Thanks for comment brandler london. Yeah I have considered this, possibly a more neutral colour, like the first photo natural wooden slats but unsure as the windows are about 12 years old wether to replace with white again or change to something different. Also the floor needs replacing so again do I keep same colour as windows or offset. All ideas are a great help so thanks for the comments people.

• PRO
    Brandler London
    4 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 4 år sedan

@ Matthew - personally I would change the window cills as well as this is a relatively easy fix and makes a big difference; are your windows PVC or wood?

Painting the porch overhang would make a big difference as well and perhaps a future option is to build a porch with sloped roof, which will also help the house look less "brutal" :-)

I would consider using a colour to the paint rather than white and if you are replacing the windows then move away from white to make the house more inviting. This would also involve painting the soffit boards on the eaves, but again I think the effect would be a good one.

Using a natural wood for the slats is an option but it all depends upon how much you have to spend as hardwood would be best. You could consider using a composite material for this as there are some great options available these days.

• Matthew Swain
    Författare
    4 år sedan
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Thanks again brandler London. Yeah the windows are pvc. What would you replace the window cills for? As you say they do look naff. I will probably look down the composite route like you say. As with the door eventually I would like to build out to gain a porch to try make the house look less boxy. It’s the colour combinations I’m useless with that my only issue
  • PRO
    Brandler London
    4 år sedan

For colours I would have a look at the more recent Farrow & Ball collections. If this paint is outside of your budget then there are similar colours to be found in Leyland or Dulux.

Are you planning to change your windows? If so then I believe that there are some coloured PVC options that may fit your pocket. This applies to the window cills as well or you could replace them with wood which can then be painted to match the rest of the exterior.

Choosing colour is subjective and not something that I can really advise you on but have a look at the colour charts and if it appeals to you then buy a sample or three, apply and stand back and choose... :-)

• Juliet Docherty
    4 år sedan

There are lots of options. Dark windows look good against brick because in terms of contrasts, they blend well instead of standing out, that said, they are a bit ubiquitous. Another option is to render the whole front and then there would be no windows seen against brick and flat profile white ones would look good. You could go for slightly darker than white pale warm grey and white render.... lots of options.

• Matthew Swain
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Thanks colour happy. I think I am going to keep the bottom half as it is but re rendered smooth in a neutral colour that being said a lighter grey might work well like you say. Decision decisions

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.