dinatale2

New beach home and clueless as to how to decorate it

dinatale2
9 år sedan
I'm buying a new home near the beach and don't know where to start. I like traditional but still want it to have a beach feel. I also want it to be easily livable. Please help! Photo is of family room.

Kommentarer (62)

• dinatale2
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Thank you everyone. So far, I'm liking the ideas you've had for me...keep the coming. Any furniture ideas? Is white leather tacky? I thought I could do light blue walls, white leather couches, and then ???
  • Libbmom
    9 år sedan
    If you can find furniture with Crypton fabric...it's suppose to be pet sturdy...
    dinatale2 thanked Libbmom
  • cloudpants
    9 år sedan
    Check out a beach cottage dot com. Some of Sarah's rooms have featured on Houzz. Her decorating ideas are inspirational to say the least.
    dinatale2 thanked cloudpants
  • PRO
    Amplio
    9 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 9 år sedan
    Yes do light blue/grey walls.
    dinatale2 thanked Amplio
  • PRO
    Amplio
    9 år sedan
    I would go for a brown classic chesterfield, it will look better the more you use it.Here is a mood board.
    dinatale2 thanked Amplio
  • ballyhoogirl
    9 år sedan
    There is a store in Columbia, SC called Carolina Imports Furniture that has a lot of painted/distressed furniture that goes well in a beach house. I know you can order specific colors, but if you need it all right away, they still might have a good bit of what you need. It is imported, well built and sturdy.
    dinatale2 thanked ballyhoogirl
  • PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    9 år sedan
    I would do something very casual and relaxed in overall feeling, comfortable seating that is easy upkeep, lots of wood, and some reclaimed objects. The color direction should be driftwood, greige, grey, pale cerulean and white. I have a million ideas already. Would love to chat, feel free to call us.
    dinatale2 thanked Gray & Walter, Ltd.
  • bluenan
    9 år sedan
    You can use brown, or better yet, caramel colored leather with blue and white.
    Studio Marcelo Brito · Mer info
    dinatale2 thanked bluenan
  • PRO
    Artisan Tile at Whitfield Design LLC
    9 år sedan
    Try this site https://www.jossandmain.com/Family-Room-Refresh~E10018.html
    I love it and you can find different styles that fit you. The different patterns are fun when mixed.
    dinatale2 thanked Artisan Tile at Whitfield Design LLC
  • leelee
    9 år sedan
    Suggest going with a white or cream leather sofa then build around that with lovely beach colors including blues, aquas or corals. What not to do is buy a set of matching furniture. Love the look of the room Margaret B posted.
    dinatale2 thanked leelee
  • PRO
    Traditions Window Decor
    9 år sedan
    Once you get a good idea of furniture, I'd move to the window coverings. Hunter Douglas Silhouettes or Nantuckets would look fantastic. You would get that beach feel yet still keep your view and have privacy when wanted.
    dinatale2 thanked Traditions Window Decor
  • bluenan
    9 år sedan
    I'd go with 2" white wood blinds.
    Traverse - Lakefront Home With A View · Mer info
    dinatale2 thanked bluenan
  • debsurreal
    9 år sedan
    This may not work for your sofa situation, but I love Maine Cottage furniture for bedrooms, accents and dining options.

http://www.mainecottage.com

Have fun!
    dinatale2 thanked debsurreal
  • debsurreal
    9 år sedan
    P.S. Maine Cottage does have some great leather pieces too....
    dinatale2 thanked debsurreal
  • laurenhoagland419
    9 år sedan
    Love that area!! Check out coastal living magazine for TONS of inspiration. There are also so many great decor stores down in Pawleys Island which isn't too far from myrtle. I had family in murrells inlet.
    dinatale2 thanked laurenhoagland419
  • edithsmom
    9 år sedan
    Agree with grover...also think a light colored leather sofa would be difficult to keep clean if a dog(s) is sprawling/drooling on it. We had a light tan leather sofa with a cuddly black dog...looked terrible in a short time.
    dinatale2 thanked edithsmom
  • inpdx
    9 år sedan
    Gorgeous floors, too. Charleston isn't far and has tons of resources.
    dinatale2 thanked inpdx
  • dinatale2
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    I really appreciate all the suggestions and wonderful ideas! AMPLIO, the Chesterfield sofa is just perfect. What other furniture would you suggest? Maybe reclining wing backs? See, I really have no clue.
  • dinatale2
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    How do you figure out what colors can go together? Brown couch with blue chair. Then what color for other chair(s)?
  • groveraxle
    9 år sedan
    If you really have no clue, and want to be furnished within a month or so, then you should hire an interior designer. Brown couch may or may not go with blue chair. Depends on the couch, the chair, and everything else in the room.
    dinatale2 thanked groveraxle
  • Tamara Brown
    9 år sedan
    Love this!
    dinatale2 thanked Tamara Brown
  • laurenhoagland419
    9 år sedan
    Beach Style Living Room by Providence Interior Designers & Decorators Norton-O'Brien Design
  • laurenhoagland419
    9 år sedan
    Beach Style Living Room by Providence Interior Designers & Decorators Norton-O'Brien Design
  • laurenhoagland419
    9 år sedan
    I don't know if the image I tried to attach went through above...
  • laurenhoagland419
    9 år sedan
  • groveraxle
    9 år sedan
    lauren, copy and paste the whole url from the address bar--the part that starts with http://--here and the image will show up.
  • PRO
    Color Zen
    9 år sedan
    Cute! It's funny... I help many clients struggling with beach/vacation homes. You want it to be different from your home, but that opens many questions :) My advice is, pull photos from Houzz. Rooms you love... Then have a designer help you focus-in. It's very easy for us to see "your look' before you can. A little consulting can go a long way. Good luck!
  • teebabee
    9 år sedan
    Hi Dinatale, Funny I should stumble on your post. I am planning to house hunt in the Myrtle Beach area this spring. Any recommendations for a realtor or realty company? BTW, I hope you enjoy decorating your beach home, I hope to do the same in the near future :-)!
    dinatale2 thanked teebabee
  • PRO
    Amplio
    9 år sedan
    More ideas.
    dinatale2 thanked Amplio
  • lizzadahl777
    9 år sedan
    This is one of my favorite beach homes on Houzz:
    http://www.houzz.com/projects/147186/Newport-Beach-Ocean-Front

Newport Beach Ocean Front · Mer info

Newport Beach Ocean Front · Mer info

I love how it all looks clean, bright, and effortless.
    dinatale2 thanked lizzadahl777
  • Ritesh Soni
    9 år sedan
    Wooden Contemporary with some leather , take best possible colour with walls
    dinatale2 thanked Ritesh Soni
  • PRO
    Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
    9 år sedan
    Victoria Hagan is the master at this style. Buy her book Interior Portraits and emulate as much as you can.
    dinatale2 thanked Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
  • PRO
    B&H Designs - California - 3D Rendering
    9 år sedan
    If you are short on time and don't want to waste money, then you might want to try an interior 3D rendering.
    dinatale2 thanked B&H Designs - California - 3D Rendering
  • PRO
    LEICHT New York
    9 år sedan
    To make the most of your space and define it, you may want to consider this modular wall system. The cabinetry can be ordered to match the decor of the adjoining rooms in beach-inspired light wood colors. You can add drawers, shelves and even a tv screen with the wiring hidden. It can be adapted as your needs change. Here are a few photos:
    Style: Paneel · Mer info

STYLE: Paneel · Mer info

NYC Showroom · Mer info

NYC Showroom · Mer info

Best of luck! Let us know if you have any questions.
    dinatale2 thanked LEICHT New York
  • PRO
    Be-Leaf Design, llc
    9 år sedan
    My all time favorite furniture and accessories come from companyc.com Right now, there is a sale on some colorful rugs! Best of luck, it's a great layout!
    dinatale2 thanked Be-Leaf Design, llc
  • libradesigneye
    9 år sedan
    Hi there - congratulations on your lovely new home. How exciting!

Slipcovered furniture really is going to be the best solution - leather is not right for a beach home - the salt and sand don't do well on it. Though I love a brown leather chesterfield, it really suits a different kind of home and feeling than you want. Look at the pottery barn seating that is slipcovered - you can get two different slipcovers (denim for winter, bleachable off-white duck for summer) These fabrics are very indestructible but also washable and also replaceable if they wear out a little sooner from use. You can always put a special dog bed in the room that you get a slipcover for in your colors (crypton is really amazing). Textiles and one simple color scheme (all shades of blue-green, navy, driftwood grays and white sounds serene), good art and you will have a great result.

May I suggest that you search photos on Houzz, maybe even search beach house photos, and then make an ideabook of the rooms you love the most. (bet there won't be a brown leather anything in it) Do it without thinking for a while, then go back and pick out the things that you really love, objects, common colors . . .now you have inspiration for your space. Traditional homes involve layering patterns and solids in the same color ranges - drapery panels, rugs (appropriate to the setting). . . . as Grover said, go slow. Follow some beach house blogs. To move in and make it feel like it is yours, concentrate on things that will make it personal. Paint the walls, figure out a layout so you know what the right size sofa is for how you will use it - (painters tape on the floor helps a lot - you can start with a drawing but then test dimensions that way), go to the store and lie down on any sofa you consider, put your feet up,

This lifestyle is about being outdoors, being sweaty and salty and coming home whipped and plopping down and knowing that you can throw the slipcover in the wash just like you can go soak yourself clean. Nothing too precious but everything can still be lovely.
    dinatale2 thanked libradesigneye
  • libradesigneye
    9 år sedan
    Having just reviewed your layout, may I suggest you look to Ballard's line of banquettes? That dining room is also half a pass through so it would feel bigger and live better if you took the whole outside wall and lined up a long banquette with pretty fabrics - then you can even use a table you might have now, and spend $ instead on upholstering two head armchairs - recovering the seats of any straight chairs you might have now. Depending on the window layout, you could do a more formal high back and use a ultrasuede with grid tufting - now you need a carpenter to build it / upholsterer to upholster but the room gains 2' and a sense of beach ease .. everyone loves a booth (but only half the people get to use it when you have a party).
    dinatale2 thanked libradesigneye
  • Jeannie
    9 år sedan
    dinatale2
    Trust me on this, dogs claws rip leather, so choose with this in mind. Suggest also training dogs and husband that jumping on furniture is a no-no :)) One more tip. Don't get panicked into doing the whole house at once. Camp out with a couple of chairs, dining set, and bed to start with. We did this when we moved here from the U.S., and gave ourselves time to get the feel of the house before we added everything else. It's amazing how you can get by and give yourself breathing space to shop around and get it right first time. Living on the beach is fun, and makes you feel a bit different than living in town - like more casual, and dogs love running on the sand too. Just know you'll enjoy your new house and lifestyle!
    dinatale2 thanked Jeannie
  • dinatale2
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Teebabee,
    I have a wonderful real estate guy for you to contact. This guy spent two days with us not just showing homes, but touring the area so we could get a good feel for where we wanted to live. He gave us extremely helpful advice about different areas and tips about living in the MB area. His name is Mike Watson. His personal email is mikewatsonsr@yahoo.com but he works for Century 21 the Harrelson Group (Apparently the Century 21s are separate entities.) Please mention that Janet and Domenic referred you. You will love him...I promise. I am not related to him in any way although this endorsement would probably make you think so!
  • libradesigneye
    9 år sedan
    Janet that is sweet - good guys deserve mention Hope you'll share as you go along, we are all so happy for you guys with your new space.
  • PRO
    Eastvold Furniture
    9 år sedan
    Congrats on the new beach house! We have great, durable and hand crafted credenzas an dining tables that would look great with your flooring!
  • Fatima Ropri
    9 år sedan
    The spacious area is basically like an empty canvas. You could go with bolder colors, like reds, oranges and bright yellows, but if you want to bring the calm, refreshing peacefulness of the beach inside, maybe you could to a color scheme of light blue, black, silver, and white/ivory. These colors might bring an elegant appearance to the room. A long couch/window seat under the windows would look good, as well as a glass coffee table (circular or rectangular) with chairs/sofas set around it accented with decorative cushions. You might also want to add in a little greenery with spider plants or other taller green plants!
  • Julie Cen
    9 år sedan
    Muy design in Panama
  • Chae
    9 år sedan
    [houzz=
    Traditional Bedroom · Mer info
    ] [houzz=
    Kingwood Township Kitchen & Renovation · Mer info
    ] [houzz=
    Living Room · Mer info
    ]
    These colored walls are beautiful serene & relaxing! Pair with white furniture and splashes of other fun colors.
    dinatale2 thanked Chae
  • PRO
    Kohliron
    9 år sedan
    Hope those can help you.
    dinatale2 thanked Kohliron
  • dinatale2
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Where is a good place to buy leather sofas?
  • dbsgdec
    9 år sedan
    i just wanna say i'm so envious. beach house = my dream house
  • janroze
    9 år sedan
    I love everything about chaefender's photos for a transitional beach home. Who wants stuffy strictly traditional at the beach? The photo's themes, art, textures and colors are beachy and with the right spray, easy care and beautiful to boot. Thank goodness she skipped the cliche and over done dark leather look. Who wants leather that's cold in the winter and hot in warm climates and often is dark and has very little personality, except for a library.
  • PRO
    JFF Design Architects
    9 år sedan
    sorry to be Johnny come lately here...this just popped up....check this project out for some ideas if not too late....our client is an interiors person and we worked great together....five projects for them and counting.....enjoy the different spaces / colors as well....Narragansett RI west coast of sound.... Chimney & Entry Details/JFF Design Architects
    Check out this photo from houzz.com- http://houzz.com/photos/7002008
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.