katkooti

What wall do i put this china hutch against?

kat Graff
10 år sedan
Hi All
Just did a major remodel and now have wainscot and crown mold all over.
my china hutch used to be in my dining room but now needs to live in this library/ sitting room.

I don't know if I should put it at an angel against a wall and or I should have it straight against the wall and chairs facing it..
I am really not sure if I can do anything with this piece of furniture now!?

Any ideas would be appreciated..
Kat

Kommentarer (11)

• PRO
    Amplio
    10 år sedan
    I agree if you paint it I think it will work better.
  • toomanywhitewalls
    10 år sedan
    I think that is a gorgeous piece of furniture and would be hesitant to paint it white. Do you not like the way it looks with the wall color?
  • toomanywhitewalls
    10 år sedan
    Why can't it go on the wall on the left or right side? Hard to tell what the walls look like in this photo.
  • User
    10 år sedan
    Don't angle it. It's not built for the corner so it ends up looking awkward in the corner.
  • kat Graff
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Thanks y'all
    I did think about painting it but then like " toomanywhitewalls" said I think it's gorgeous as is.
    The room is visible as soon as u walk in the front door and has no door just a high arched entryway. Maybe I should post?
    I thought about on the right side of pic as there is a closet on the left side.
    Thank you and I'll post the next location of the hutch for feedback..
    Cheers all
  • kat Graff
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    @jn3344 yeah I think it should be straight too, either against the left long wall or straight against the wall is shown, but my Husband thinks its awkward with wainscot behind it. not sure why?
  • User
    10 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 10 år sedan
    You did a nice job on your dining room. I am not usually a fan of wainscoting but you did it right in this case.

I think the weight of it does push out the furniture from the walls by the width of the chair rail plus an inch or so, so that might be the objection from your husband. If you are looking at it from the side you will see a gap between the hutch and the wall of a couple inches above the chair rail. But I don't know, lets see how it looks against the long wall first!
  • User
    10 år sedan
    I did a photo search wainscoting > Dining Room and was scrolling through the photos that came up. You see buffets but not china cabinets. The buffets are typically below chair rail height - so long and low. As opposed to narrower and taller like your china cabinet.

I agree your china cabinet is a beautiful piece but I don't think painting it will help, and will just decrease the value of it.

Maybe find a place for it just outside the dining room? Otherwise if placed in the center of the long wall you could balance it out with art on either side to give it more width.

[houzz=
    Traditional Dining Room · Mer info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Chapel Ridge · Mer info
    ]
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 år sedan
    Straight, flat on its own wall and lighted! You might wrap custom cut foam core or luan with a beautiful wallpaper to place against the backs of the shelves.
    Eclectic Kitchen · Mer info
  • kat Graff
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Thank you all this has really helped me see outside the box:)
    I will post as I am having window treatments and panels installed tomorrow.. Yikes I hope I haven't done it in with all that!;)
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.