antionette_wagenaar

Kitchen Design & Layout

I cant decide on my kitchen layout! I have a last chance to make changes at pre-start for our build and would like your opinion.
1. I am installing 2 x 600 Ovens. Should I go with oven stack or ovens side by side under counter below the stove-top or off-centre??
2. I opted for two tone laminex finish. Silk white and natural walnut horizontal grain cabinet doors. Should I do the white to the bottom and walnut to overheads or other way around? With walnut kickback to island bench.
The kitchen / living is open plan and the floors are natural exposed polished concrete. I have selected bench-top in essastone pure cloud with white on float glass splash back. (Reflects green tint)
I am going for a contemporary, industrial look and like clean lines.
3. How practical is a splash-back (mid-height) fixed window above the sink in the scullery? It is north facing. Should I leave out the o/heads and do a large window with sill rather for better light? I have storage in WIP?

This is asking a lot! Having to make so many choices is overwhelming and as some choices are structural it cant change later!

Would really appreciate your professional advice!

Kommentarer (4)

• oklouise
    7 år sedan

much as i love mid light windows unless your view is of neighbours' bedroom window i would opt for more light for the whole kitchen with a tall wide window located closer to the fridge with tall wall cabinets in the scullery, leave out the nib wall at the end of the cooktop bench (you''ll stack dirty cookware there ready to load the dw), keep the stacked wall oven and microwave and add extra oven under counter either under cooktop or at the far end of the cooking counter, the shelves in the pantry should be narrow on one side for smaller items and deeper space on the other to allow for extra fridge or freezer and for the pantry and laundry doors to open comfortably, the depth of the fridge space looks too shallow so i've allowed some extra depth for the fridge and the nib walls beside the fridge should be sized accordingly. What's outside the window? is there an option for a servery to an outdoor area?? ..enjoy you lovely new home

• PRO
    Trace Studio Architects
    7 år sedan

I agree with oklouise - you want to maximise light into the kitchen from the north. If you can live without the overhead cupboards, i would take most, if not all of them out, above the scullery. Or consider some open shelves with glazing behind. This can look great with a few plants and objects on display. Behind the sink, i would avoid taking the glass right down to bench height unless you want to clean the splash marks off regularly (this would bug me!). As a minimum, get the bigger window in closer to the fridge end. On colours, when light is an issue, I always go with the darker colours lower down, (below bench) and lighter colours above. this improves ambient light levels to the space generally. With the stoves, i suspect you will use one more than the other, so keep one as a wall mount (top higher than bench) with microwave above, as shown on the drawings, to save a lot of bending down, and just have the second one below the cooktop. Hope that helps!

• PRO
    Sprig+Co Interiors
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

Hi Antionette, hopefully I can offer you some advice on this.

1) visually having the 2 ovens below the counter top in the centre would look better, although if you are planning on staying there for awhile or have older people living with you having them as a wall unit is easier for access. Also in saying that do you want your microwave on that wall also? or can it go in the scullery? If you do want it on that wall it is probably best to have it above the ovens, but not to high (a good height to the very top of the microwave unit is between 1650-1700mm.

2) Love two tone kitchens! I think doing the woodgrain on the overhead units and the island back would be perfect. I did a VERY rough pic to show you the colour combo, works well with the concrete flooring. Glass is great for a splash back however with this size you may need a join in it so just double check that. Otherwise Tiles is another option that would suit that idustrial theme and work well in your kitchen a feature. Maybe hexagon tiles, marble coloured etc what ever you feel looks best.

3) This really depends on if you need the storage although as your scullery is open and you can see it from the kitchen might be good to keep it cohesive. Also if you are working in there at night time this is a great opportunity to add in some LED cabinetry lights.

I also noticed that the window isn't centre of your scullery wall I wonder if that could be moved. And also I thought it would look nice if the builder built in a bulkhead above your cabinetry (so there are no gaps between the ceiling and upper cabinets) and make them the same depth as the wall either side. It looks really nice if you can also add LED lights in there too, and make your kitchen really pop!

I hope this helps you out and isn't too much info.

Best of Luck xxx Tash

• brixnmorta
    7 år sedan

Did you contemplate having 900mm ovens? either way, go for 900 cooktops. I assume the prelay to the island bench is for power - wise move, as it's very hard to do later.

Don't have a window opposite the pantry as it could be hotter, unless you are having an undercover area out there.

You might want to put the powder room in the store spot, as the walls may not be that soundproof and then have a bigger pantry and or for linen.

Aveling Homes get good reviews, so I hope you have a perfect home.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.