stacey_bigham

What can I do with this waste of space behind my sofa?

Stacey Bigham
10 år sedan
This is a long narrow area in my great room it needs something now that the Christmas tree is down. My ceilings are 12 foot tall I need something that will not get lost.

Kommentarer (33)

• lucidos
    10 år sedan
    The house always looks so unloved and bare after the holidays. Pendant lights in the arches would look great. Also adding sofa tables.
  • Blythe Marc
    10 år sedan
    Had you thought of a timber Entry or Hall table which sits below the ledge height. Could be furnished with a pile of hard cover books and/or candle stick, or photo frame, anything of conversation piece goes well in a living area looks like you have the touch to have some inspiration.
  • Blythe Marc
    10 år sedan
    could even put wall sconces between the arches to give a bit of mood lighting
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 år sedan
    A stunning long carpet could draw the eye downwards and fill the empty space.
    Stacey Bigham thanked ASVInteriors
  • Patunya
    10 år sedan
    If you're up for a new challenge get a custom built pond/aquarium along the wall. They are magical specialy when you hit the lights on :) However it is not a cheap investment and it takes dedication before you can enjoy it. These days you can get such top notch equipment that does all the work for you so you don't need stressing over it every few days.

[houzz=
    Alchemy · Mer info
    ]

[houzz=
    Spiritual elegance concealing function · Mer info
    ]
    Stacey Bigham thanked Patunya
  • katezucconi
    10 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 10 år sedan
    I would suggest putting a console table up against the wall where the arches are and then putting a table lamp on each end, to give some soft lighting. You could then put a beautiful vase or collection of objects on the shelf in each alcove to soften them and give some interest to the room.
    Stacey Bigham thanked katezucconi
  • Mark
    10 år sedan
    If you have the light for them, a tall indoor tree in front of the arches would soften that long wall and add that greenery that you are missing from Christmas.
    Stacey Bigham thanked Mark
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 år sedan
    Hi, you have a beautiful space, but it is not set up correctly. I would need to see more photos.

Is there a way to break up the sectional? I feel like the room is so large it needs more than one seating area and the window area should be open.
    Stacey Bigham thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • Stacey Bigham
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Thanks everyone for the great advice, I have been console tables is something I am leaning towards. This room opens up to my kitchen and my sectional is a 7 piece it can seat about 20, I am not lacking in the seating area. Attached is the rest of the room
  • indianpatti
    10 år sedan
    Hanging a large piece of art on that bare hallway wall would look nice .. it could be seen through the middle arch when in the living room.
    Stacey Bigham thanked indianpatti
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 år sedan
    I see you are not lacking seating. The room is not arranged correctly. A sofa table will only add clutter.
    Stacey Bigham thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • PRO
    Sara Bederman Design
    10 år sedan
    A console behind the sofa would be super or alternatively a long console on the wall where the arches are. That way you could display taller items to give the arches a bit more interest.
    Stacey Bigham thanked Sara Bederman Design
  • User
    10 år sedan
    Consoles for behind the sofa - too rustic?
    Metal Twig Console Table with Glass · Mer info
  • User
    10 år sedan
    I see that you do like to bring the outside in, but in a little more formal, refined look i.e. the topiarys and the cranes on the mantle. I gather that you also like to entertain. I love the idea of consoles behind the sectional, but I worry that they will become a place for guest to put their empty glasses on and that someone might accidentally knock something off of the the console with their elbow when then they turn to talk to another guest with their arm on the back of the sectional.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 år sedan
    Form follows function. As happyasaclam mentioned, if you place a table there just to be placing a table there, it will never look good and never work.

Can we see a photo of the window area?

Are you will to take apart the sectional or move it in another direction?
  • User
    10 år sedan
    Medium Glass Cloche Wood Plate · Mer info
    Jamun Wall and Table Plate · Mer info
    ELK Group White Box Rectangular Rod Tray · Mer info
    Lazy Susan 552003 Gold Vortex Hurricane · Mer info
    Interest and color for a console.
    Stacey Bigham thanked User
  • User
    10 år sedan
    A little glitz, but with wooden candlesticks to bring it down a litle
    Four-Door Mirrored Console, Surf, Visage · Mer info
    Kezia Wooden Candleholders, Set of 3 · Mer info
    Stacey Bigham thanked User
  • groveraxle
    10 år sedan
    It's hard to tell from your photos, but I think CDR is right. You have a huge room with this little island floating in the middle and bare space all around. Sofa tables will simply amplify the effect.

The seating area feels a little too cozy while the rest of the room feels barren. I wouldn't feel comfortable sitting in a row with 19 other people on that sectional. I suspect there's a better arrangement, something that involves a few chairs, perhaps ottomans, too.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 år sedan
    I don't know who sits on the couch. While some people just love to cozy up to others, some are not comfortable in what they consider a "trapped" space and you have 18 of those on the sectional: 20 spaces, minus the 2 ends ones.

Personally, I wouldn't want to climb in the center of the sectional and then wonder how I will gracefully exit, walking buy all those people.

The room has so much potential which is not being utilized.
  • User
    10 år sedan
    You go, grover! :)
  • User
    10 år sedan
    And CDR! :)
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 år sedan
    I would remove the small tray and the two items on it. Off scale for size of room.

Stacey, I often see this: clients think their issue is that they "need something else".
    Design is about functionality and the correct balance and use of space. This is the part I love, but I can see why it is very boring to some and they want to quickly move on to the "fun" part.

Adding "something else" is a smaller part that comes in the end of the process.

We need to get your room functioning correctly before you add any more things.
  • User
    10 år sedan
    Maybe you should take everything away, including the things on the mantle and take more pictures from all angles of the room. Then we can see if a different arrangement of the furniture works better and then start adding things back. :)
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 år sedan
    That's the best way to do it.

That is an entertainment center with tv, that just looks like a mantle, right?
  • flsue1
    10 år sedan
    You need color and interest...a console table behind the sofa in that space with some interesting accessories, pillows on the sofa, colorful things on the coffee table. It's very drab, think of colors and things you love...plants, books, rugs, etc.
  • User
    10 år sedan
    Ya know CDR, I think the whole thing is an entertainment center and the "fireplace" is the tv.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 år sedan
    Right.....I believe it is an entertainment center.
  • PRO
    Ernesto Garcia Interior Design, LLC
    10 år sedan
    The back of the sofa and adjacent wall have virtually created a long and narrow hallway in your space. You need a design feature that will add movement and variety to a long and narrow space.
    To judge by your existing furniture ensemble your taste is definitely eclectic. Your sofa frame is very contemporary. Not every sofa-table has to be rectilinear.
    Please take a look at the Contemporary Modern Project in my profile; in the living room you will see a large sofa with a sofa table that curbs out (the vertical supports reminisce the structure of a keel). Like you, I had tall ceilings to deal with and the back of the sofa was facing the foyer: I needed to create an element of "interest" and a bunch of square shelvings was not going to do the trick.
    You do need a strong feature to compensate the scale of the sofa and the height of your ceiling. You can run a long sofa table along the back of your sectional, but it has to have some design feature that breaks the tunnel effect.
    Another element that would punctuate the "walk" by the sectional would be contemporary candle sticks lamp, perhaps half a dozen of them; they would create a "virtual" plane between the seating area and the circulation behind and provide additional light for reading when seating at that side of the sectional. Good luck!
    Ernesto Garcia, ASID
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 år sedan
    Sofa table like the ones above. Under it place square ottomans. Go a bold color or a zebra for fun. On top tall candles, plants a few books. But don't over do.
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    10 år sedan
    I think this sofa table would look nice behind it and also with the Entertainment center. We carry this at our store and many others. We offer free shipping and no sales tax.

Please feel free to contact me if you need any help or questions at contact@essentialsinside.com.

Sue

www.essentialsinside.com: irina, mango wood console table · Mer info

Irina, Mango Wood Console Table by Uttermost, available at www.essentialsinside.com
    This console table features plantation grown mango wood with mindi wood veneer finished in hand rubbed cinnamon with heavy antiquing, gold leaf carved accents and two dovetail drawers.

Fine Points:
    Height: 34 in.
    Width: 52 in.
    Depth: 18 in.
    Weight: 114 lbs.
  • PRO
    Mono Architecture
    7 år sedan

Put a specially designed modern and simple, long and narrow, sofa table behind the sofa and put two important chandeliers on it.

• rocketjcat
    7 år sedan
    Old post from 2014.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.