Palo Alto, CA, US
Houzz is the leading home renovation and design platform in the world. We have a highly engaged community of over 40 million homeowners who leverage our technologies to find inspiration for their next home project, connect with over 2.5 million home design and remodeling professionals and discover products in the Houzz Shop.
About the Role
Data Engineers bridge the gap between infrastructure and business. As a Houzz Data Engineer, you will work closely with analysts, data scientists, product managers and researchers to internalize every use case of data within the company. You will also work with data infrastructure to build the necessary platform to house the data and intuitive tools to leverage the data. Additionally, you will work with back-end and front-end engineers to implement the proper logging in order to understand our users’ behavior. You will then build efficient ETL processes that produce the core datasets and dashboards that are leveraged to understand how the company is performing and to make data-driven decisions at Houzz.
Our #1 priority for our return to work plan is to ensure the health and safety of our Houzzers. Due to worsening cases specifically in the areas and the cities in which we operate, all of our U.S. offices are planned to remain closed through the end of 2020. It is our plan to return to our in-office model once a safe return is feasible. This is NOT a permanent remote/at home position.
What You’ll Do
- Architect and build core datasets
- Implement efficient ETL processes
- Build scalable and reliable data pipelines that process petabytes of data
- Build tools and framework for data analysis and visualization
- Propose changes to the logging structures or supporting new kinds of data analysis
- Translate business requirements into projects and prioritize based on impact
- Evangelize data architecture and ETL best practices
At a Minimum, We’d Like You to Have
- Proficiency in data architecture and/or data warehouse design patterns
- Proficiency in database schema design
- Proficiency in efficient batch and streaming ETL design
- Strong coding skills in Python or Java
- Strong SQL skills
- Experience with Big Data technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, Hive and Presto/Impala
- Experience with workflow management framework such as Airflow, Luigi
- Experience with visualization tools such as Tableau, Superset
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and cross-functional skills
- A passion for understanding analytics use cases for data, architecting intuitive datasets to support these use cases and optimizing our methods of producing these datasets
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or a related field
- 3+ years of experience
Ideally, You’ll Also Have
- Experience supporting analytics teams studying user behavior and product metrics
- Experience building analytics frameworks and tools with broad adoption
Be Who You Are and Do What You Love at Houzz
We’re a Family
At Houzz, we strive to create and foster a strong family environment in our workplace. We collaborate to accomplish our goals, always working as a team. We aim to build a culture of inclusion — celebrating and leveraging our differences for the betterment of one another, our products and our community.
Houzz team members come from many backgrounds and bring diverse experiences to the company. We take pride in making each person feel at home.
We Build the Future
Join Houzz in revolutionizing the home remodeling and design industry and have an impact on the more than 40 million homeowners who use our platform every month and the 2.5 million-plus home professionals around the world who are active on the site. Houzz has been named one of the most innovative companies in the world by CNBC and others, and is backed by top venture capitalists. At Houzz, you can help drive the future of an industry worth $1.2 trillion in the U.S. and Europe alone.
We Make Things Happen
Our team members play a key role in guiding the direction of our company and are able to work across multiple groups to implement fresh ideas that allow Houzz to be the industry leader. If you are interested in applying your passion to create products that will transform the lives of millions of people who are designing, remodeling and decorating their homes, welcome to Houzz.
Benefits and Perks
• Competitive salary
• Flexible paid time off
• Commuter benefits
• Medical, dental, vision and pet insurance
• Maternity/paternity leave program
• Employee assistance program
• 401k retirement savings plan
• Flexible spending accounts
• Healthy at Houzz program
Houzz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.