sgabreski96

Rubio monocoat products??

7 år sedan
Walnut butcher block island top. Currently has beeswax/ mineral oil on it but whenever someone puts a glass down it gets rings. Would anyone recommend a Rubio product for this. I don't want it to be glossy but would like water protection

Kommentarer (17)

• 7 år sedan
    I have oiled and waxed wood floors. They recommended WOCA brand "sealer" and cleaner. I think is is from Scandinavia, but you can get it from Amazon. I would think that would help. My dogs drip, etc. but never any marks. Love your walnut by the way!
  • 7 år sedan
    Thank you-- I love it as well but it has proved to be a little more maintenance than I had hoped! We finally finished the painting and a backsplash and it all ties in well
  • 7 år sedan
    I like the dark wood contrast with the lighter stone on other counter
  • 7 år sedan
    Next decision is also whether we should change the range hood to stainless or leave it the white.
  • 7 år sedan
    It's beautiful!
  • 7 år sedan
    Thank you
  • 7 år sedan

If you're still looking for a food safe product for your countertops, you might want to check out the Osmo Top Oil. (Available through Amazon and others.)

I have used their "Liquid Oil Cleaner" on my floors and like it alot.

• 7 år sedan
    I actually just finished stripping the wax and sanding and using the Rubio Monocoat in Pure (clear). I love the look-- very flat, not shiny at all and the water just beads right up! I haven't tried putting a cold icy drink on it yet to see if I get white rings but am hoping that this will resolve that problem. I think that it will! Thank you for the suggestions though!!
  • 7 år sedan

We have the Rubio Clear on our maple floors, and the Rubio Maintenance Oil, as well. The floors were done about a year ago, and their have been a few stains from coffee, etc., so I wasn't pleased with the "protection" level.

After considerable research, we tested the Osmo Liquid Wax Cleaner for compatibility, and liked the results. It added a slight more sheen, and it seems to be considerably more resistant to liquids.

I would definitely recommend the Osmo Top Oil over the Rubio Maintenance Oil for upkeep!

• 7 år sedan

We have similar counters. I just reapply the mineral oil once a week or so, and find that it is enough to keep the water beading. I would keep the vent the same colour as your appliances. So unless you are swapping out the fridge, keep it white.

• 7 år sedan
    I wish I had done just mineral oil in the beginning but I used the mineral oil and bees wax combination. I was told that it is the wax that reacts with the water- especially cold glasses that left the white rings. So I was hesitant to use anything with any type of wax. I had read many good things about the monocoat binding with the wood fibers. I did my water test ( putting a bead of water and making sure that it doesn't absorb in a 15 minute period). It passed that test. I understand that I should reapply a maintenance oil or even just mineral oil if the counter wears enough that it would fail the water test. However I really don't want to intentionally test it for rings. I think I will just wait and see-- haha
  • 7 år sedan
    I will definitely keep the osmo top oil in mind for when I need maintenance!

Thanks on the advise about the vent. I have changed to a stainless gas stovetop and a stainless dishwasher but have not changed out the wall with the fridge and oven as of yet. They are both still white surrounded by white cabinetry.
  • förra året

Dear "beachlover 58" -- I'm looking to do exactly what you have done. You mentioned you "stripped the wax." Does that mean chemically? Do you remember what product (even generic name) you used? Thank you.

• förra året

We used mineral spirts and wiped down with cotton cloths. Did it a few times and then sanded with 220 grit sand paper and wiped down one more time with the mineral spirts. Let it dry and applied the Rubio Monocoat. I used the accelerator but still let it completely dry for 7 days before using the counter. It’s been wonderful! All these years and I haven’t had to revisit or do any maintenance oil or anything but wipe it down with a wet rag to clean it. Water still beads up and I haven’t had one white cloudy ring from cold glasses!!

• förra året

Thank you so much S Gabreski! Very helpful!

• förra året

You are so welcome- my Houzz account got deleted as beachlover58 but the thread found me over at my SGabreski account - good luck with your project!

Sponsrad

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.