creekweb

kiwi drought tolerance

creekweb
9 år sedan

Very dry here lately (4th driest September on record) and two of my hardy Kiwi (A. arguta) have primarily brown dead leaves, though some of the most vigorous parts of the vine are still green. These plants are in their 3rd or 4th year. None of the other established plants in my orchard are showing signs of damage from the lack of rain, including a much larger kiwi, so I'm hesitant to chalk up these plants' decline to the drought. My question is whether anyone has noticed kiwis to be among the first plants to show damage during dry periods or whether they found them to be relatively drought tolerant.

Kommentarer (4)

• clarkinks
    9 år sedan

They were my least drought tolerant plants I've grown in Kansas.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 år sedan

We haven't had an appreciable amount of rain for a month here in central NH, and my kiwi, which lives at the top of a well-drained slope, shows no sign of drought stress as far as I can see. It is probably cooler here now than wherever you are, however, and prior to this we had a fairly cool and wet summer.

• bob_z6
    9 år sedan

I've never seen any drought stress on mine. I don't usually even water them (if I'm passing by with the hose during a long dry period in July, I'll give 'em a spray). They still grow amazingly fast and have nice clean leaves. Mine are well mulched wood chips and we get plenty of rain (per weather.com, 4-5" each month, except Feb).

• PRO
    Native Sun Gardens
    7 år sedan

They seem somewhat versatile here in California. When mulched and drip irrigation 2x/week in the dry season they do just fine

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.