michelle09_gw

Elevation of pool too high

michelle09
14 år sedan

My Pool ended up being 4 inches higher than my existing patio so now I have a steep slope from the pool to the house. They couldn't put area drains in because they would have been too deep for the patio. Instead they put channel drains between the patio and new decking. Is this normal? Is 4 inches too high?

Kommentarer (8)

• golfgeek
    14 år sedan

michelle09,
    Channel drains are common. Pool decks usually slope at 2% or 1/4" per foot. In your case the pool would need to be 16' from the patio to be a perfect 2% slope.
    4" too high is a rather large error. Good luck.

• huskyridor
    14 år sedan

quote" 4" too high is a rather large error. "quote

Only if her pool is under 20' away from the pool.

I use a different rule of thumb on my slope for concrete.
    Sloping from coping to grass 1" on 8', and sloping from coping/expansion joints to a drain centered in a quadrant 1" on 5'. I try to keep my quadrants around 100 sq/ft in open areas.

IMO, Michelle's pool coping should have been level with the existing patio and the drains should have been centered in the quadrants. The only reason I'd of finished with a 4" raise to an existing patio over 10' away, and placed channel drain would been that a portion of the pool's deck would have come in below the natural grade of their yard. This is an easy way to raise a pool's final level to keep the sidewalk up out of the ground. I run across this frequently on yards which have a lot of slope and the buyer doesn't want to pay for my cost of a machine and operator to regrade the yard, or the upcharge of raising the pool beam on the problem side and adding a step up to the new raised decking.

A pic would be very helpful on this thread. Your builder might have encountered what I just described and placed your level up intentionally.

See ya,
    Kelly

• khelton4
    8 år sedan

we had a pool guy layout our pool area yesterday. By eye it looks pretty level from the porch( on which I was standing) to the red park patio directly behind. We have 65 feet between the two areas, were going to install a 20×40 pool dead center with concrete patios on both sides to meet each patio. When he shot the grade, he said the concrete would be over a foot y'all at the house side. Now we don't know what to do. Is there any way to move dirt to decrease the 12 inches of concrete that would be up against our existing landscaping?

• julieleek
    8 år sedan

I hope so, Khelton4. I wouldn't like that either. Please keep us informed on what ends up happening. Sorry I couldn't help, but surely someone who knows more than I will speak up.

• loriaultman
    2 år sedan

I'm thinking about putting an offer in on a house that has an inground pool in the back. The problem is the concrete decking around most of the pool is narrow (about 36 inches) and has a dramatic 7" slope to the ground. I know that decking SHOULD slope away from the pool, but this is extreme. Any ideas for building up the decking to make it look more level or making it more attractive? I've already thought about landscaping, but don't know if that will help.

• Houzz-ID: 343498791
    2 år sedan

I am having a pool completed and the plans state to set the pool 6 inches below the benchmark. The benchmark being my back patio. Issue is I have to pour concrete in a large area from house

to pool. They told me that coping was suppose to be 6 inches below benchmark. Not sure

if that is correct? Now they are finished with coping and we are only 2.5 inches below patio. Issue is now I have to back fill with to bring level in yard up or pay for an additional 20 yards of

concrete to fill that 3.5 inches. So is this correct that the top of the pool coping is set right? Or is it suppose to be 6 inches, not 2.5 inches? Just a note. Pool is out of the ground at least 12 inches.

• Abby Anderson
    23 dagar sedan

I am having the same issue now. Can you show me what you did to fix it?

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.