celestialsdoxies

Has anyone built their own chicken coop/hutch?

celestialsdoxies
17 år sedan

Need something simple. Has anyone made a chicken coop with spare wood, aside from purchasing the chicken wire?

I have many 2 x 4's, 2 x 2's, etc., a hammer and can get the wire, but that is about it. Needs to be raccoon and night time predator safe.

I am looking to build one big enough for 2 hens.

Marie

Kommentarer (7)

• Carol_from_ny
    17 år sedan

Raccoon proof you'd be better off to find either one large dog kennel or two smaller ones and put a lock on them at night. The type I'm thinking of are use for travel...are mostly plastic, have wire doors and windows. You can lock them. They are easy to clean and you can move the birds inside to a garage when the temps take a dive.

• annielu
    17 år sedan

There's a website- www.backyardchickens.com that has some very good ideas and lots of info. I have 9 chickens myself, and my son built my coop. Go on that site, there are coop ideas and some people can tell you how to make one with what you have.

• mariend
    17 år sedan

We built a double chicken pen that was completly inclosed. Used redwood dug done about 2 feet, nailed chicken wire to the base, and burried it so cayotes, lynx, etc could not dig in, also made about a 6 inch barrier around the edges etc. top was heavy chicken wire. Didn't have many raccons in area.
    But we did have sticky plants around edge and some animals did not like it.

• mariend
    17 år sedan

Forgot, at night the chickens were in their house, windows covered with hardwire, again burried wire in ground deep around outside, and we could lock the door, like a doggie door from cage to house.

• chrisha1
    13 år sedan

My wife and I built chicken hutches from recycled window frames and chicken wire. Elevate the coop on legs a foot or two and make bottom with wire so droppings fall through and predators can't get in. See pictures at our blog, http://www.echickencoopsandruns.com.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY chicken hutches

• PRO
    Vinrac Wine Racks
    3 år sedan

Always remember to make it predator proof, chicken wire on the floor is important, also if you can around the perimeter just underneath the soil as this will stop the sneaky foxes and mice from digging in around the edges.

The other point I'd like to make is that quite often (unless you really want to do it yourself) the cost to build one from scratch is more expensive that purchasing a coop through a company that ships them.

Not just in materials but also in time and tools that you may need to go purchase. If you've got all the tools and some excess building materials around the yard, then sure it might be worthwhile - there's some good info here:

https://www.coopsandcages.com.au/chickens/chicken-coops/

These guys give you a fairly accurate guide on comparing the DIY or ready to assemble chicken coops.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.