molly_reeve

What type of professional do I hire for remodel plans?

House Lover
9 år sedan
senast redigerad:9 år sedan

I have an offer in on a house that I would be interested in doing a lot of remodeling to, over time. I have a vision of how I'd want some things to go. While I would do one project at a time, I'd want to get plans for the whole house up front, so that I don't do something that isn't compatible with the next project later.

I don't think I'd want to contact one of the local design & remodel firms, because I have my own contractors I'll want to use, and possibly do some of the work myself. Also, I don't need help picking fixtures and finishes. Mainly I want to figure out what walls I can knock down, what rooms I can widen, etc. So do I just contact an architect? A structural engineer?

Just looking for some ideas on where to begin. Thanks!

Kommentarer (9)

• PRO
    Craig Thompson Contracting
    9 år sedan

For a typical residential remodel, if you don't have the original floor plans I have a building designer on my team who will go to your site and draw a floor plan of your existing home. You can simply stop there or ask him to move forward with some suggested layouts and address any structural challenges inherent to your home. This can be more affordable and cover more issues than going to an architect or engineer as a first step.

• House Lover
    Författare
    9 år sedan

Ok, so you are saying to start with a local general contractor that has a building designer on staff? I will have to research some good local ones. I know the big ones typically have a minimum of $40 or $50k. I'll have to do some research on some smaller local firms that would let me just do the floorplan. Thanks!

• PRO
    9 år sedan

He may not be on staff but part of the support team that is used as needed. I've worked with my building designer for over a decade and it's a valuable service to offer. You said you have your own GC so you're only looking for this particular service at this time. Also, does your GC have someone like I've described?

• House Lover
    Författare
    9 år sedan

I don't have a full service GC, I have different subs I like to work with. A friend of mine is a GC who used to live in my area, and has referred different subs to me. Unfortunately, he said he wouldn't recommend the only designer he has worked with, wasn't happy with them.

• PRO
    Precision Carpentry
    9 år sedan

If you are making structural changes that are permitted you may need an Archy .The city may not sign off on a designers plans for structure.Best to talk to your local building department in advance and find out.

• House Lover
    Författare
    9 år sedan

Ok, thanks for the tip. I'll be going to that office anyway to check on permits for work that the previous owners did, so I'll inquire while I'm there.

• PRO
    9 år sedan

An engineer is less costly than an architect and he can check it out and put his stamp on it.

• happyallison
    9 år sedan

I hired a draftsman for design work, he can do exterior or interior. He was much less expensive than an architect. However he doesn't have the structural 'stamp', so anything structural he notes must be approved/verified by a structural engineer. Many carpentry framing projects, the lumberyard has an engineer who can verify size for simple projects (as I'm told but check into that). We may have to hire an engineer to verify a footing, but it will be a few hundred dollars and still less expensive than going with an architect.

• weedyacres
    9 år sedan

I had good luck several times with a competent draftsperson. If you've got an idea of what you want to do, and need someone to see if it all fits and works together, then that would work. An architect would be appropriate if you have some general goals but need some ideas on how to accomplish those goals and need their creativity.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.