nadianyc_gw

Quartz or Dekton/Neolith?

nadianyc
9 år sedan

I know all about the wonders of quartz countertops but I'm interested in learning more about Dekton (I believe Neolith is the same) My big criteria for a countertop are strength, heat resistance and looks. Anyone recently have Dekton installed?

I'm considering it for both kitchen and baths.

Kommentarer (254)

• focused
    3 år sedan

Thanks for taking the time to respond once again. I just looked up this product, and there is a place not too far from me that has samples. I will have a look at it today. If I like the samples, I will go look at slabs. Do you know where it is manufactured? I prefer products made in Canada or the US for quality assurance.

• Chessie
    3 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 3 år sedan

I think the factory is in Georgia.

Ah...yes, I found this online:

Viatera® is manufactured in Adairsville, GA. LG Hausys America manufactures both HI-MACS® Solid Surface and Viatera® Quartz Surface in Adairsville, GA making LG Hausys the only domestic manufacturer of both materials. Limited number of Viatera® colors are manufactured overseas.

• focused
    3 år sedan

Thank you. I didn't have a chanced to see the samples yesterday, but I will try to get there Monday.

• Kate Jones
    3 år sedan

@focused Hi! I don't know if you were able to get to the showroom you wanted to visit yesterday, but thought I'd throw out a couple more countertop ideas... In my opinion, Cambria Quartz has some of the most stonelike designs I've seen (I work at a granite company), and they have tons of white options, which you can find in this link: Marble-like Designs. Additionally, there are quite a few granites that have a marble look, the most familiar of these being Glacier White.

If you decide to go with marble, I would suggest finding a hard marble (much more resistant than soft marbles like Carrera) and investing in a great sealant. You could also look into getting a leathered finish instead of something polished, as leathered will not show stains or scratches quite so clearly. All in all, a hard marble shouldn't be that difficult to care for, as long as you're not waiting to wipe foodstuffs off the surface for days (which I doubt you'd do). Hope that helped, and that you're soon able to find a countertop you don't have to compromise for.

• focused
    3 år sedan

Thank you. I have searched through the slabs of granite/marble distributors but have yet to see a white granite. I will call some and ask if they have Glacier White in stock for me to see. Thanks for the Cambria link. I will check that out. Do you know where it is manufactured?

I did get to the Dekton and Silestone distributor, but was not taken with the designs that were available, particularly from Silestone.

I brought home a very nice quartzite called Pegasus. it is mostly white with crystals like you see in White Opal, and with soft cloud-like grey markings. I tested it rigorously for staining and etching. It did not stain, but when I left the Marsala wine and the balsamic vinegar on it for several hours, it etched slightly. That is not likely to happen but I am looking into sealants, nonetheless. I contacted Toughskin, but at $27 PSF, it adds significantly to the price, which is already not inexpensive. Also, it is a film that is applied, and I don't know if I like that idea, although I realize that it is the only product that is guaranteed to prevent etching.

One hesitation I have with the Pegasus quartzite, is that with the sparkly crystal, it may be more suitable for en-suite bathroom than for a kitchen.

• Kate Jones
    3 år sedan

Cambria is manufactured in Minnesota, they're a family-owned company, and I think they might be able to help you find what you're looking for. As to white granites, I'm uploading pictures of some that we have in stock (all of the photos turned out a little darker than the slabs actually are), it is possible to find whiter granites (and less busy patterns) - it all just depends on the blocks companies are stocking from.

As to sealer, if you choose to go with natural stone, your best bet may be to find a company you trust and asking whether they offer to do sealant with your countertops. I know that's something we offer - the sealant we use also has a 20-year warranty. I don't remember off the top of my head what kind it is, but I can ask if you'd like.

If you're going with natural stone and can't live without the perfect marble look, hard marble or quartzite are definitely going to be your best options. Personally, I love quartzite (though it can be a lot more expensive than other stone options). Fun fact, there are several types of quartzite that are translucent, so backlighting them - in a bathroom or kitchen backsplash - is a cool design opportunity. Obviously, no stone's going to be perfect, but quartzite is actually more durable than granite, and it really shouldn't be staining or anything else. I'm not positive why it's having the etching problem like you stated, but with a good sealant that definitely won't happen. Additionally, quartzite can also come in a leathered finish if the polishing makes its quartz flecks more shiny than you're comfortable with for a kitchen. Quartz v. Granite

One more thing to try if you're worried about pricing is to ask fabricators if they have remnants you can look at - especially for small-medium sized bathroom counters, they will likely have large enough scraps (of pretty much every material) for you to choose from. Depending on what you're looking for, they might even have pieces big enough for a kitchen island, etc. Since remnant are left over from other projects, most companies are willing to mark them down significantly in price.

• focused
    3 år sedan

Where are you located?

• focused
    3 år sedan

Thanks for the pictures. Unfortunately, the patterns are too full for me.

• Kate Jones
    3 år sedan

We're in South Carolina, but we do some jobs out of state too (UGS). Where are you?

• Kate Jones
    3 år sedan

Yep! Not a problem. It can be really hard finding just the right stone for you.

• rodrick19
    3 år sedan

@focused I am of your exact thinking when it comes to marble. I absolutely love it and I've decided not to get it, which breaks my heart a little. I'm currently searching for something else that will give me a fresh and natural look in my kitchen. I looked seriously at quartzite but didn't find slabs with enough white. They were coming off very beige. (I guess I never saw the Crystallo, but I can't afford that anyway as I need 2 slabs.) I finally gave in and went to look at quartz slabs yesterday. I still can't get on board with the "close but not quite" marble look. They had a brand new slab of Dekton however that caught my eye. The color is called REM. It's part of their Natural Collection. Its pattern is subtle throughout. My hesitation is that the veigning is more brown than gray. I was hoping for a material that had both. I should hear about pricing today.

The thing that is causing me to hesitate with Dekton or porcelain is the edge will be solid white. The pattern does not continue down through the product. I think that would work fine in a modern design, but I'm going for a more timeless look. The edge can be mitered to show the slab as thick at I want, but it's hard to cut and will add to the price. Where the sink drops in, it will show the pure white edge (without pattern). Anyway, I'm in your boat, looking high and low. I'll enjoy hearing what you end up with!

• focused
    3 år sedan

I'm in Toronto, Canada. I looked at the LG samples yesterday, but was told that the product is manufactured in China, not the US. They claimed that almost all quartz products ire manufactured in China, including the ones that claim to be made in USA. and even Hanstone, which is made in Canada. Frankly, I don't believe what they said, so it put me off. I have an appointment to see the Cambria slabs on Tuesday,

I have decided against the Pegasus quartzite. It is a pretty stone, but with all the crystal sparkles throughout, it feels too glitzy for a kitchen.

• Chessie
    3 år sedan

focused Most of those people don't know what they are talking about. I would call LG Viatera and ask them. There IS a massive plant, in Adairsville, GA. And according to this, *most* of their quartz line is made there. Email customersupport@lghausys.com or call them 866-544-4622.

http://tileletter.com/2020/03/lg-hausys-expanding-viatera-operations-to-meet-growing-customer-demand/

The new Viatera line is the third plant now in operation at LG Hausys’ existing manufacturing location in Adairsville, Ga. The new facility spans more than 111,000 square feet and increases Viatera production capacity by 50 percent. Staffed with 40 new employees and fully in production since January 20th, the line produces Viatera products in Jumbo II slab size at 2cm and 3cm thickness. As part of LG Hausys’ multi-million dollar investment, the new line also allows for future product innovation. This includes the ability to add new robotic technologies for veining effects and utilizing advanced mechanical devices for new color and design creations.

"Viatera® is manufactured in Adairsville, GA. LG Hausys America manufactures both HI-MACS® Solid Surface and Viatera® Quartz Surface in Adairsville, GA making LG Hausys the only domestic manufacturer of both materials. Limited number of Viatera® colors are manufactured overseas."

• focused
    3 år sedan

I already sent an email to Hanstone last night about the allegation that only a few of their products are manufactured in Canada. It will be interesting to hear what they have to say. The company that made those allegations promotes a brand called SiO4 Stone inc. I had never heard of it.previously. I only went there because it showed up in my Google search for LG and was close to where I live.

If Hanstone is really manufactured completely in Canada and wants to know who told me that they are not, I will certainly tell them. I cannot abide deception. I will contact LG as well.

• focused
    3 år sedan

Chessie, how do you know so much about LG Hausys? I thought I dug into products to the "nth degree", but you are a veritable encyclopedia (if that words has any meaning, anymore) of information about the product. Do you represent them or have some involvement with them?

• LILY RODRIGUEZ
    3 år sedan

@focused As a direct purchaser of Hanstone... yes Canadian and paying the freight on that is a pain. LG Hausys is harder to pinpoint as they manufacture more than one product and depending which product you are purchasing, it can vary between Georgia and Korea.

• focused
    3 år sedan

The rep at Hanstone was not happy to hear about a company saying that they only manufacture a few styles in Canada and the rest is made in China. They said all of their products are made in Canada and I believe that.

After spending weeks looking at just about every product and every stone slab within driving distance, I believe I have finally made a decision. I found some very nice slabs of Taj Mahal - a very durable quartzite - at two distributors. One block is 2 cm and the other is 3 cm. I think the colouring is a little nicer in the 2 cm, slabs - light colour and very clean, so I will probably go with those, even though I can get a better deal on the 3 cm slabs because the fabricator already has them. The only advantage of the 3 cm slabs that I am aware of, is that the edges are already the right thickness and don't need to have separate pieces glued on to form a thick enough edge.

If anyone has a different opinion on that I am all ears.

Chessie? Kate? Anything to add?

• Chessie
    3 år sedan

focused - LOL. No I certainly don't represent them. I simply did a lot of research before I decided on my counters. I'm rather meticulous about what I spend my money on so I learn everything I can about it first.

• focused
    3 år sedan

You definitely deserve an A+ for your homework. Do you know anything about Taj Mahal quartzite? I understand that it more dense than granite and as durable as possible for a natural stone. My favourite is Cristallo, but at prices starting at $145 P.S.F. it is simply unaffordable.

• Chessie
    3 år sedan

From everything that I have read, Taj Mahal seems to be a good choice - durable, does not appear to stain or etch in most cases. Also, it is pretty well known now, so it is usually identified/ labeled correctly at the slab yards so that is a good thing. Don't get it honed though - stick with polished. Always more issues with honed. It is a warmer tone - more on the creamy side - so if you want a cool/white toned kitchen, Taj Mahal would not work. It has some tans and browns in it...so for some folks that rules it out. But if the color works for you, I think it would be a good choice for a countertop.

• focused
    3 år sedan

I have been looking for a clear slab for many weeks, and had ruled it out as I had not found one that is light enough. Taj Mahal isn't as lovely as marble, and not even a close 10th to Cristallo, but I don't want porcelain, and haven't found a quartz that excites me. I don't want to have to baby the kitchen, and grandkids can be pretty sloppy when they come to stay with me. They live in California and I don't want to be on their backs when they visit. These slabs have a minimum of the honey and brown veins.and are quite light and creamy throughout.. I would send you a picture, but I don't know how. Pictures tend to make all the markings much darker than they appear in person, anyway, so it wouldn't do the slabs justice. .I will look for a warmer white for the cabinets.

I hope I am not making an expensive mistake. I know my stomach will tighten when I put down the deposit.

• Kandi Stillwell
    3 år sedan

I’m in the same predicament, so I’m wondering what you actually went with?

• focused
    3 år sedan

Believe it or not, I have still not selected a product. I am getting one more price on Crystallo and then I'll make my decision. I will either splurge on Crytsallo or go with the Taj Mahal.

I just sold my house the night before last, so now the move is a reality - no turning back, no more trying to fool myself into believing that I can still change my mind and stay where I am. So.....I can't put off the decision any longer. I have to get the renovation completed, or I will be living on a park bench with my clothes stuffed into green garbage bags.

I am not looking forward to walking out of my house for the final time in the fall. I moved in with my husband and our son, a three year old toddler, excited for the future, and now, 51 years and one daughter and at least 3 kitchens and many bathrooms later, I will be walking out alone. My husband lived long enough just to see the last bathroom completed in 2013, but with the condo renovation, I am on my own. I am sure that the drive between the house and the condo will be a 10 tissue drive. Sorry to be so maudlin, but that's the space I'm in right now.

Keep in touch and I'll let you know the outcome. I am not adept at finding this thread by myself, so if you want to know what is going on, add something to it so I'll get the note from houzz and I'll click on.

• Chessie
    3 år sedan

focused, I am so sorry - I had not known on your back story. No worries about being maudlin I assure you. I just lost both my parents - mom less than a week ago - within 5 weeks of each other. It's all I can to do stop the random crying spells.

I am sure whatever choice you make, it will work out. Both sound like good options. I wish you the best in your new home.

• focused
    3 år sedan

How terrible not to have more time to grieve for 1 parent before losing another, and so recent, too.. My condolences to you.

I just got a better quote on the Crystallo - $126 PSF. It works out to $9,000 per slab, and I need 2 slabs. I think at my age and stage of life, however, that's far too much money to put into a condo. Also, I am not sure with it's being white, how stain resistance it is and how durable it is too, even though it is a quartzite, which is very dense.

• Asli Tuna
    3 år sedan

Neolith or Dekton both of them perfect

• Karri Eggers
    3 år sedan

Oh my gosh- you all have me freaked out now! I am replacing my 20 year old concrete counters (before concrete was in) with either Cloudburst Concrete (Casearstone Quartz) or Nillium (Dekton). We have satillo tile floors - very rustic kitchen - and don't want to worry about taking care of our counters! Do I take the chance on chipping the Dekton (what is best thickness and best edge to avoid that?) or take a chance on burning my Quartz? Sigh. One, two, three - vote!

Thanks!

• Houzz-ID: 897442760
    3 år sedan

I am so happy I found your blog and I absolutely love your information about quartz or dekton neolith and the tips you have shared are awesome. I liked and it is wonderful to know about so many things that are useful for all of us! Thanks a lot for this amazing blog!! Well, I have visited another site Well, I have visited another site https://www.thebenchtopguys.co.nz/ having some wonderful and similar information.

• Karri Eggers
    3 år sedan

Hi there - I went to the site and don't see the comments - can you direct me?? Thank you!

• Chessie
    3 år sedan

I suspect that was just a post for that business.

• cik0007
    3 år sedan

Hello! For anyone that has installed Dekton for months and years, any updates in satisfaction or dissatisfaction?

• Ale A
    3 år sedan

@cik0007 we have had ours for about a year and a half now. No chips, no stains, no issues. Absolutely love it still.

• Susan
    3 år sedan

Ha for a couple of years. Very well installed and no problems at all. Have a join on our island that did shift slightly and ended up uneven but it was fault of kitchen installer who didn’t stabilise the footings of the cabinets correctly. Once that was fixed the join was corrected with no problem. V happy with it

• Gay De Hart
    2 år sedan

@rodrick19 I have seen REM in the Dekton and am in love with it. Did you end up getting it?

• learningresources
    2 år sedan

I’m just now finding this conversation, and have been in the same boat as so many other: want and love the white marbles with beautiful veining, but don’t want soft marble in a kitchen, PLUS don’t like the color and/or patterns in quartzite, nor the flat-fake look of quartz. Thought I hit the jackpot with Neolith Calacatta, but now having issues with angled cuts in my kitchen and the direction of the veining. Still trying to resolve!

• Heather B
    2 år sedan

Hi. Just about to start a kitchen renovation with all the same quandaries of loving white marbles but not willing to risk the staining/etching. I am considering Dekton Rem or Dekton Taga. Has anyone used Taga and if so are fingerprints an issue? I am also worried about seeing the seam at the edge of the waterfall on the island with the Dekton products. My other option right now is Cambria Britannica Gold, but as I cannot get to a warehouse (I am in Vancouver BC) I am concerned that the pattern is too bold. Does anyone have experience with Cambria? My fabricator warns they are much pricier so only worth it if they have a pattern/colour that you cannot find elsewhere

Submit

• jlrogers
    2 år sedan

Cambria is a quality product. Britannica Gold is too bold for me. I wanted something that provided some interest, but did not distract from what I put on the counter/island. I liked several of the Dekton patterns but also did not want the seam at the edge. Decided on Silestone Calacatta Gold and am happy with that choice.

• Heather B
    2 år sedan

thanks jlrogers

• Houzz-ID: 832512024
    2 år sedan

Caesarstone

• chicagoans
    2 år sedan

@focused: I just saw this old thread and wanted to share my condolences and understanding. I sold my house almost exactly one year ago and I still miss it dearly (and occasionally drive past, even though it's on a cul-de-sac so it is never just a 'drive by'.) I bought it with my late husband in '95; over the years we did several improvements and a big addition and renovation, made lifelong friends in the neighborhood, and raised our children there. He passed away almost 9 years ago (cancer) when our kids were 14 and 16. Eventually I realized that I don't need all that space (I had rooms and bathrooms I never even went in anymore), and sold it. Moving out was so hard, and felt like losing him all over again. But I'm less stressed financially (kids are done with college and I'm renting a small 3BR home) and I'm doing more nice things for myself. I hope you are too! Just wanted to send you warm thoughts and wishes for everything to go well for you.

• PRO
    Interior Planning Collective
    2 år sedan

I'd like to find out more about the edge detail options. I read something about a seam at the edge which make me think it isn't a good candidate for laminated edge?

• Pam Gregory
    2 år sedan

I just found this thread and it is very helpful to what I am working on now but first and foremost, I would like to share my condolences on the loss of your husband. I lost a husband many years ago and still recall how difficult it was. It is a journey, with ups and downs, but you will find a new normal life for you and your family.

I am working on a condo kitchen reno and was trying to decide if I should recommend Dekton vs Silestone to the client. They really like the new Silestone - Ethereal Glow that has some warm gold veining in it. HOWEVER, she is not the best housekeeper and I wonder about stains and they also had a counter for 25+ years in their old house that was heat proof (can't recall what it was but it was not concrete). Based on this conversation I took a quick look at Dekton REM and it might be a better solution. What is the recommended edge for Dekton? The only other kitchen/bath reno I have done is a kitchen with a Cambria - Berwyn counter.

• Stacy G
    förra året

For those of you that had Dekton installed did the installers put in a 1/2in board underneath it? Mine said the requirements changed and the board has to be under. Haven’t been able to find any discussions about issues without the board. Would love to hear people’s thoughts.

• Joey
    förra året

Our contractor built a counter using plywood. The installers told the contractor what base to build. Then, you can choose the thickness of the counter top. I chose 2”Last the installer floated the Dekton on the plywood using silicone. This makes for a very sturdy surface.

There is a seam. But it is not noticeable at all. The seam should be whatever the color of the Dekton is. See photos.

• Joey
    förra året

This is a better picture of the waterfall.

• Joey
    förra året

And here is what it looks like under the edge.

• lharpie
    förra året

Yes we had plywood inset into counters to support the dekton. we did not do built up edge just the 2cm dekton.

• Joey
    förra året

Can you please post a photo with that edge?

• Jana Jones
    10 månader sedan

Avoid Neolith at all cost. They are a nightmare if you have quality issues or need replacement due to defective slabs. Awful customer service.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.