amberkpick

CREAM kitchen help..

Amber
8 år sedan

As much as I love white kitchens, (believe me, I love them!) I absolutely love the warmth of cream kitchens, specifically Phorbin's, which is my inspiration. I'm having a hard time figuring out if I can pull it off, though. Here is Phorbin's beautiful kitchen..

My concern is that I think it's a hard look to pull off. Here's my 'cream' cabinet option with some of my marble samples. Mine Will be a bit creamier that the left sample, but overall like Phorbin's.

Natural light:

Artificial light:

Artificial (with flooring sample at the top)

With flash:

Hubby says he doesn't like the idea of a cream kitchen, but when I showed him Phorbin's kitchen he liked it. He doesn't care in the end because it's for me. I can't decide, though. I think the cream really brings out the warm colors in the marble.. Here is my white with marble inspiration pic..

I don't know what to do!!

Kommentarer (58)

• reesepbuttercup SLC, Utah 6b
    8 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 8 år sedan

I'm doing cream cabs, Carrara marble, retro style white appliances, white subway backsplash and walls that are SW Dover white with a very bright white trim. I think it will work. And I think your combo will work too. I think the trick is to having a cabinet color that is a dark enough of a cream that there is contrast between it and white. Assuming you will have SS appliances- that will tie in with the gray in the marble.

• cpartist
    8 år sedan

I think LL is onto something wonderful!

• oasisowner
    8 år sedan

I love marble and I love cream cabinets, but only like them together if the marble has streaks of tan or gold. For a true gray/white marble I prefer white cabs. Just my opinion. : )

• Amber
    Författare
    8 år sedan

LL, the only other counter materials I considered were Calcatta and soapstone, but I have champagne taste on a beer budget, haha! This fortunately comes in around $75/sq ft, so more carerra pricing than calcatta! Here are some better examples of how warm it can be (Phorbin's kitchen is also this same marble):

Grand Alabama Kitchen · Mer info

Alabama White Examples · Mer info

Definitely not as warm as the Calcatta Gold I dream of, but still slobber worthy! These are about as creamy as I can get/afford, do y'all think it's creamy enough to do cream? I wish I would have taken pictures of the other slabs, the samples I got were definitely whiter than my favorites. The fabricator knows what I'm looking for in a slab and is going to send me pics of the slabs as soon as they get more. He's also willing to reserve it for me without me seeing it in person first.

Reese, that sounds so good gorgeous!! I didn't think I would like Carrera but since I saw it in person I'm considering it for our master bath!! I can't wait to see your retro appliances!!

Celandina, I wish I could see it!! I feel like I really have to separate the white and cream and use them as two different colors. Maybe ordering a door in my cream color and making the decision off of that?

LL my light figures are an antique brass/warm, that may help tie in? I'm not sure what metal Id use for hardware. I was wanting pewter with white cabs.. Maybe antique brass for hardware as well???

• Lavender Lass
    8 år sedan

With cream, I'm just not a fan of the gray (only) marble. The Calcutta would be so much better, IMHO :)

Do you plan to have an island? Can you put the Calcutta marble on the island with wood perimeter counters....or vice versa? It would make the kitchen so much warmer!

I think the antique brass hardware would be better with the cream, too.

• Amber
    Författare
    8 år sedan

I wanted a walnut island, but that was one of hubby's big no-nos! He doesn't like mixing of countertops, which ironically that's one thing ALL of my inspiration kitchens have... ;)

• Lavender Lass
    8 år sedan

Explain price difference! That's almost always my husband's first consideration. LOL

Amber, can you post your kitchen layout? I think I've seen it.....but there are so many on the forum :)

• laughablemoments
    8 år sedan

What about a crema marble? I know very little about marbles, but I liked it when I saw it here: Centsational girl kitchen

• Amber
    Författare
    8 år sedan

I love Crema Marfil but it's softer than Alabama White, which is comparable in strength to Danby. With three boys marble is a crazy idea to begin with (not that that will stop me!) so I want to stick with a harder marble.

I'm going to talk to hubs about the walnut. We just realized right now that our builder made some more big mistakes...... Ughhhhhhhh....

• mermanmike
    8 år sedan

I really like carrera with the creamy cabinets, in the same way I like white and cream together in general. It provides contrast. I have an island work table with carrera on it, next to cream cabinets and other stark white details. Creamier marbles would be beautiful too, but I think the carrera will give you the effect you like in your inspiration picture. However, notice that Phorbin does have a wooden cabinet and wood trim around the vent hood. I think those help to warm up the room and avoid visual monotony. Are you going to have similar elements in your kitchen?

• Patti
    8 år sedan

We are almost finished with our remodel. We have cream cabinets (SW Neutral Ground) and Fantasy Brown quartzite. Although there is some creamy/tan/beige in the Fantasy Brown, I almost wish we'd have gone a little whiter with the cabinet color. And I feel awful for admitting it, when the kitchen isn't even complete (but mostly).

• Bunny
    8 år sedan

I'm with mermanmike. I think creamy goes with white, with or without streaks of gray (carrara). Carrara is an old standard, like chrome. You will have other things in your kitchen and on your counter, unless you are anything-on-the-counter phobic. I have at least four shades of creamy to white in my kitchen with a dark gray counter. As far as I'm concerned, they all look good and get along fine. After your kitchen is installed and you start using it, it stops being this thing you second guess and examine under a microscope.

• Amber
    Författare
    8 år sedan

Running around doing things today ( with a sick baby) here is a quick floorplan...

I need to update it some, I've eliminated wall on sides of fridge. This is also sideways. Front door is North facing.

• Amber
    Författare
    8 år sedan

Ignore that... I need to get a better one!!!

• eam44
    8 år sedan

You've inspired me to look at Phorbin's reveal, and what a great inspiration to have. That's a lovely kitchen. And his counters are Alabama White, so you are very much on track there. He chose the cabinet color to match the color of his range. Is your hesitation stemming from the fact that you have to chose a stock color in your cabinet line, and you aren't sure whether that's the right color to achieve this look?

I can't actually see the color well in the images you posted, there's not enough light in any of them. Is there that little light in your space? Try taking your materials outdoors in sunlight so that you can get an idea of the true hue with your marble, and/or find out the hue the manufacturer uses. Phorbin bought the H366GGVCR Berta range. You can always request a color swatch and compare that to your cream. Then you have to analyze the light in your space. If it is truly dark in there and you aren't adding windows, you're going to have to have a lighting scheme that will help give you the look you want. One step at a time. First, the hue's the thing...

• Amber
    Författare
    8 år sedan

Screenshot of PDF

• Amber
    Författare
    8 år sedan

Eam that's exactly it. I have one option for cream unless I want a custom paint upcharge, which I'm already well over budget. I have some pics of my cabinet in our 'space'... :)

Unfortunately my space doesn't have walls or a roof yet! I'll grab some pics of the marble & cab in natural lighting here in a bit!

• Amber
    Författare
    8 år sedan

Natural light. The gross white is our rental's grungy porch railing.

• Amber
    Författare
    8 år sedan

• eam44
    8 år sedan

Haha! Got it. So right now you can have all the natural light you want! Here's the range Phorbin was matching. The good news is you don't have to actually match it to get a similar look, but to my eye you're pretty close, no?

From site to site the hue of this range appears different, and on the Berta site they have no further info on hue that I could find. You could take your cabinet swatch to a dealer that sells Berta ranges and see how close you are, but my guess now, having seen the color of your cabs, is that you're right on track for the look you want. I don't see why it wouldn't be just as beautiful in your home as it is in Phorbin's.

• Amber
    Författare
    8 år sedan

Oh that beautiful range... I wonder if contacting the manufacturer they would have info on a matching color? I will see if there it's a dealer nearby by I'm assuming we're in too rural of Abb area!!! I'm really thinking the cream will match the cabinets well.. I'm terrified of messing it up! I may do my island in wood, that was one compromise hubby said he would make ( though he's still not a fan of doing the walnut counters). My butler's pantry will also be wood, a medium/dark oak or walnut (still waffling).

• eam44
    8 år sedan

It sounds beautiful! Don't be scared, you cannot possibly mess anything up with the beautiful finishes you've chosen. I love the look of darker woods with lighter painted cabs and your beautiful floors. It's going to be wonderful. If you need help chosing a backsplash, give a holler!

Amber thanked eam44
  • MizLizzie
    8 år sedan

I wrestled with this problem -- was matching cream perimeter cabs and a dark cherry island. I could not bring myself to do marble -- just couldn't get past the gray tones. I In the end I went with Cambria Shirebrook Quartz which looks nothing like marble -- more like an exotic granite. But it really pulled in the cream. I love the sample LL posted, but I never saw anything like it in my area. Good luck.

Amber thanked MizLizzie
  • mailfox7
    8 år sedan

Amber, if it is a budget issue, have you considered Calacutta gold marble for a backsplash? LL's idea works really well. I wish, though, I could have used a slab. We used it in a subway tile and it worked beautifully with cream cabinets. The gold and green veining really works with the cream cabinets. It is the star of the kitchen.

We used green soapstone on a perimeter hutch (a remnant) and a very pale green quarzite with gray and creamy white veining on the rest of the perimeter and peninsula. We found that at a steal. The slabs were smaller but it worked for the size kitchen we have. Even used it in the laundry area. Most people think it is marble.

Good luck! The walnut island sounds delicious with those cabinets!

Amber thanked mailfox7
  • gwlake
    8 år sedan

I love cream cabinets. I have picked cream for the house we are building. My only issue with cream cabinets. I do not like them with white trim. Let me go find a picture of my BFF cream kitchen with marble. We are not doing marble. I do not care for it in my own home.

Amber thanked gwlake
  • rantontoo
    8 år sedan

My Montclair Danby marble has caramel and grey streaks; the stone reads more cream than white. It was $32 a square foot (Minnesota) plus fabrication costs. I looked at a lot of marble slabs to find one that did not read white. All the Calacatta Gold slabs I found were too white for our bathroom tile except one that was already sold...naturally! I searched a 200 mile radius...my husband thought I was insane. Happy hunting!

Amber thanked rantontoo
  • gwlake
    8 år sedan

Here are the pictures. These are screen shots from my phone

Amber thanked gwlake
  • nmh92
    8 år sedan

Cream and white is gorgeous in the magazines but real tricky to pull off. Both the white and cream need to relate to something else in the room to make it work. So, if you have white marble, sink and backsplash they relate and then your cream cabs could be a shade or two off from your paint color. Have you thought about doing a light creamy white, not a true cream? I think this is so pretty.

Amber thanked nmh92
  • nmh92
    8 år sedan

PS The chrome fixtures are very pretty but for a more vintage look I would do the vintage looking, non-laquered brass that is trending now.

Amber thanked nmh92
  • Amber
    Författare
    8 år sedan

Lots to think about!! I'm actually really picky about cream kitchens, Phorbin's I like because the cream and white are clearly two separate colors. I would do either a white beadboard ( or beadboard tile) backsplash, white subway tile, or white square tile backsplash. I think what I've narrowed it down to is what my slab looks like. I really like how Phorbin's Alabama White slab looks with the cream and I think the cream I found will work WITH the right slab. Hubby is still making faces about the Walnut topped island (LL I feel like he'll never understand us ;) ) so I think I'm going to opt for the stained island cabinets instead.

Hopefully I get to choose my slab BEFORE I order cabinets...... In that scenario I think I'll have to do white... Thanks for all the inspiration pics and ideas!!!

• Amber
    Författare
    8 år sedan

Decided today I'm going with the cream! After a few weeks of having Decided on white I revisited the cream... And it just feels right!! Pendant & chain in pic, now I need to choose island stain color. No idea what I'll do for cabinet hardware and the exposed hinges..

• houserookie
    8 år sedan

YAY! it going to be brautiful!

Amber thanked houserookie
  • Amber
    Författare
    8 år sedan

Thank you, rookie, I sure hope so!!! I figure if it's just terrible I can always paint it! I like the look of brush strokes on cabinets!!!

• lam702
    8 år sedan

I love cream cabinets! I just painted my 2nd bath cabinets cream, BM Navajo White, a soft cream and I really love the color. Much as I love a pure white kitchen, I gravitate to the warmer feel of cream. I probably wouldn't use marble for my counters due to etching concerns, but the calcutta gold looks beautiful. And there are a lot of granites and quartz that would go very well with cream. I think you can do pretty much any color hardware with cream. When I painted the bathroom cabinets, my medicine cabinet had small antique brass knobs, and I simply could not find another knob in the same size that I liked. So I kept them and felt, well, I guess I have to use antique brass knobs on the other cabinets too. I bought some that I liked and now that its all done, I have to say, although antique brass might not be the trend today, it looks pretty amazing with the warmth of the cream. I think your cabinets will look gorgeous.

• huruta
    8 år sedan

Part of the trick is to choose the right 'cream' color. I LOVE our cream vintage kitchen with its old retro white laminate countertops and white molding trim. I actually painted the cabinets (Ambertique by Pratt & Lambert - great, durable paint) - won't ever do it again! I love the lemon chiffon cake like color of this cream - it's not tan but truly a happy cream. The painful hard part was actually picking a backsplash to go with it. White didn't work and virtually every single color we tried didn't work either. We ended up with a blue gray that we are very happy with but finding it was painful. Glad to hear you are not giving up on your cream kitchen!

Our Updated 1950s Kitchen with French Inspiration · Mer info

Our Updated 1950s Kitchen with French Inspiration · Mer info

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 år sedan

Amber, looks like a fabulous combination. Glad you are doing what you really want.

• beth09
    8 år sedan

SOOOO glad you are going with the cream Amber!!!

• gwlake
    8 år sedan

I am glad you are doing the cream. This looks so warm and cozy to me. I can just imagine the joy you will have every time you walk into your kitchen

• User
    8 år sedan

I think your choices will add up to make a charming kitchen :)

• funkycamper
    8 år sedan

That cream is going to look gorgeous! So glad you're going with it instead of white. And thanks for starting this discussion as I am considering cream (or red or green) for my lower cabinets and I learned a lot from the comments here about things to consider when choosing a shade of cream.

• lam702
    8 år sedan

You have to be careful of undertones with white and cream, but probably more so with cream. I'd get paint samples and paint a big piece of cardboard, to see how the color looks in your lighting. I love cream, its a warm and cozy, yet bright and light look.

• funkycamper
    8 år sedan

Thanks, yes, I'm about $100 into sample paints and foam board. :)

• Lavender Lass
    8 år sedan

Doesn't everyone??? LOL

• phorbin
    8 år sedan

Just saw this post. Would like to see pics of what you did. Should I post the sherwin Williams color make up of my cream?

Amber thanked phorbin
  • riosamba
    8 år sedan

I am another admirer of your lovely kitchen, Phorbin, and I would definitely like to know your paint color.

• Amber
    Författare
    8 år sedan

Please do!!! I decided to go with white because it's an open floor plan, but I'm not opposed to considering cream if I tire of white!

• Tara Tara
    8 år sedan

I have a cream and white kitchen. I love it. However, I'm still trying to decide on a final paint color for the wall (cream, light beige/tan, or a green shade from the accessories) .

kitchen · Mer info

kitchen · Mer info

kitchen · Mer info

kitchen · Mer info

kitchen · Mer info

• PRO
    Whitney McGregor Designs
    7 år sedan

Hey phorbin - I would love to know your paint colors for your kitchen. It's beautiful!

• sherri1058
    7 år sedan

Here is a link to the info.

Phorbin Cream kitchen

• Briana Johnson
    7 år sedan

I could've written what mermanmike and Linelle wrote. I think all creams and whites go together in a vintage, sophisticated, simple, pleasing way. I love to see cream and white mixed together. I think it's interesting and I think it helps each stand out from the other and give some contrast. Your inspiration kitchen has an old school vibe, which I also love, and they put whiter marbles on everything and it worked on everything, even dark oak! I'm glad you're sticking with cream. It's different that super white and as much as I love white too, truly, I am interested in seeing more warmth which is why I'm mixing my "vintage white glaze" white cabinets with oak.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.