wildbrat

Which of these 2 sofas should I choose?

wildbrat
8 år sedan
senast redigerad:8 år sedan

There are these 2 sofas online...yes, I know I'm taking a risk buying a sofa online...I just am torn on which to choose. My $ budget is limited.

Here's the first one...an oldie but goodie Ralph Lauren. Cheterfield style in a wool fabric. 92" L x 30" H x 39" D $995. + at least $300 shipping (scouting for shippers on uShip.com). Sofa is in CT and I'm in Central NY.

It's used (20+ yrs old) and a few hundred dollars more than the second sofa (shipping is the killer) but...it's a Ralph Lauren! In great condition too! I figure I can keep this for years and down the road if I want to reupholster it, etc. it's got great bones (I'm assuming) and down feather cushions. That's the only reason I'm considering a used sofa.

Sofa #2: Brand new, light beige 94" L x 36" H x 39" D. $887 and free shipping.

Still keeping the Chesterfield style and it has a little higher back which I like (more comfortable for me) BUT it's lsted as Horizon Chenille tufted sofa , from IFD Home Furnishings. Not as well known furniture company, it appears. As I've tried googling them. Sofa has chenille fabric, W cleaning code, "Cushion cores are constructed of low melt fiber wrapped over high quality foam.", "Seats and back spring rails are cutfrom 7/8” hardwood."

Thoughts? Opinions? I've looked at retailers in person but everything I seem to love is waaay out of my budget (thank you Ethan Allen) or in my budget and sorely lacking, IMO.

Thank you in advance! :-)

Kommentarer (10)

• Bonnie
    8 år sedan

#2 for sure!

wildbrat thanked Bonnie
  • babbs50
    8 år sedan

The Ralph Lauren looks like there are several buttons missing from the tufted back. I would not purchase a sofa without seeing the fabric or sitting on it.

• wildbrat
    Författare
    8 år sedan

babbs50, do you mean where there is no tufting at all (looks like it was just the design) on the back there are buttons missing or other places? I know I'm taking a risk by not seeing the fabric or sitting on these sofas before purchasing them but again, I'm not finding anything I like in my budget in my area retail stores.

• PRO
    Chameleon Style
    8 år sedan

For the Ralph Lauren sofa, I think the button design in the back is intentional, but I can see how one might think buttons are missing. The cushions look like they are slightly worn down in some places, but depending on what's inside them, those can be easily replaced - just go to any good upholsterer. If it's a feather down envelope with foam core, that's the easiest to deal with, however, if it's just loose feather down or something where you can't re-use the foam, you'll have to buy all new if they aren't comfortable. The difficult part about buying a used sofa is that you don't know what kind of shape the springs underneath are in. If the springs are shot, replacing the foam in the cushions will do no good. You'll have to reupholster...maybe sooner than you want to, and reupholstery can sometimes be more expensive than a brand new sofa. That being said, the Ralph Lauren is probably the better choice in the long run just because the frame will probably hold up longer. Do you know if it's been reupholstered before? If it has been, the frame might be slightly damaged just from taking staples out and putting them back in, so keep that in mind when you think about the "bones" of the sofa.

For the IDF furniture, you are basically getting a dacron-wrapped seat cushion, meaning that if you like feather down cushions, this won't feel like that at all. However, they have a 30 day return policy (with 15% restocking fee) if you are unhappy with the furniture. Their website states that "Seats and back spring rails are cut from 7/8 hardwood" but that doesn't mean the rest of the frame is a good quality frame. If you want to reupholster this in the future, you might run into problems.

After 15+ years of reupholstering furniture in our shop, we always recommend going with a sofa that has a good quality frame, as those will stand the test of time (which obviously the Ralph Lauren has so far!) We always have customers coming in with cheap frames they want to have reupholstered, and most of the time it's either impossible, or way more trouble than it's worth - and those furniture pieces usually end up in a landfill after 5 or so years. If you don't have the opportunity to test the sofa, I would certainly ask about some of the things I mentioned above before making the purchase of the used sofa. Both of them are beautiful though!

wildbrat thanked Chameleon Style
  • wildbrat
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 8 år sedan

I appreciate your expert advice, Chameleon Style, thank you! I got the impression that it is the original fabric. The owner got it from the Ralph Lauren store he worked in 20+ years ago and has had it in his home and is now in the clothing store he owns but needs more floor selling space. He wasn't willing to go any lower in price so I think I have given up on the RL sofa. I have however not given up hope!

• PRO
    Chameleon Style
    8 år sedan

Yes, it can be hard to bring down the price on a sofa after owning it for 20+ years. He might have some sentimental value attached to it, especially since it's been following his career! Who knows though...maybe he will come down in price after your inquiry. I'd keep an eye on it! Good luck, hope you find the perfect sofa soon :)

wildbrat thanked Chameleon Style
  • freethinker99
    8 år sedan

Personally a twenty year old fabric sofa would be filled with Dust mites which are pretty much impossible to remove even with stream cleaning.

wildbrat thanked freethinker99
  • User
    8 år sedan

I know the RL is better quality and all, but looks wise I way prefer the new one. I would probably bite the bullet and order it--------but is there ANY way you can locate it near you (or something else by the brand even?) to sit in it and make sure you don't hate it? It sure is lovely looking.

• wildbrat
    Författare
    8 år sedan

I have an update sheillaaus122, will be posting a new thread in the decorating category.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.