What should I use to support a 2'Quartz overhang on an island

1026cielo
8 år sedan

Quartz support on an island

Kommentarer (17)

• PRO
    Ontra Stone Concepts
    8 år sedan

Up to a 10" overhang, no support should be needed. (Industry standard). If you would like the added security and piece of mind that may come with extra support, and "L" bracket or corbel will do.

• PRO
    Ontra Stone Concepts
    8 år sedan

Particularly with Quartz. Extremely dense.

• PRO
    Ontra Stone Concepts
    8 år sedan

A 24" overhang requires brackets. Up to 10" does not.

• PRO
    Ontra Stone Concepts
    8 år sedan

It is also imperative, Carol, that the brackets like the ones you linked above are secured into the studs of the half wall, otherwise they serve almost no effect.

• gaucho_gordo
    8 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 8 år sedan

What's the cabinet footprint in relation to the counterop? I'm wondering if there's a risk that the whole thing could tip over when someone leans on the overhang. In cases like this you need to consider center of mass of the entire system (cabinets, countertop, and person leaning on overhang). If a plumb line from the center of mass to the floor doesn't fall within the cabinet footprint, then you need to anchor the cabs somehow to prevent tipping or add legs or pony walls.

• PRO
    Ontra Stone Concepts
    8 år sedan

Good point. Rule of thumb/standard is 2/3rd's on the cabinet, 1/3rd overhang, so 24" cabinet allows up to 12". (We consider 10" to be a safer allowance and 10" overhang doesn't bang knees!)

• homey_bird
    8 år sedan

Without a support, your overhang is going to be a cantilever. The rule of support is that for every foot of cantilever, there should be 2 additional feet behind the cantilever end that provide support.

Therefore, to support an overhang that is 2 ft wide, you need to have 4 ft of island behind it, at the minimum.

If you already have total 6' island dimension, no worries. But if you do not, either use brackets or decorative legs that will provide anchor to the floor. Legs come in all styles and shapes/sizes. Hope this helps!!

• User
    8 år sedan

Legs and stretcher bars to create a table effect.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 år sedan

The 10" unsupported rule is for natural stone, not engineered stone which is usually 14". Estone has much more flexural strength, hence the longer allowed cantilever.

It's a moot point here, but you'll need corbels attached to framing on reinforced cabinets or a steel frame to avoid the knee-knockers.

• chisue
    8 år sedan

If this is a straight run you could build end supports. My granite island bar is 100" long with a 24" deep eating surface and 18" knee space. Ends support a steel bar that runs under the overhang -- no 'knee knockers'. (Bar is framed and painted.)

• Carolyn
    8 år sedan

Sorry I didn't look closely at the pic I posted. We don't have a pony wall. Our metal supports span the entire 26" bank of cabinets and the overhang is 15". Our cabinets were custom built into our kitchen by a local cabinet maker, so they aren't going anywhere. They are nailed into the floor. You definitely need some support for a 24" overhang.

• Ms. Hardy
    3 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 3 år sedan

Hi my over hang will be 3.5 feet. Would (2) Douglas Fur 6"x6" legs be enough support?

• mary zedick
    förra året
    Ändrades senast: förra året

hi — i really need help with my rectangular island. i wanted to use 2x24” cabinets with a 10” overhang for seating on 2 sides (long and short side). will i need to add support brackets? the cabinets will be bolted to floor . the counter top is quartz. thanks!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    förra året

Mary:

I answered your question 7 years and 5 posts ago.

• mary zedick
    förra året

ok, thanks. So I can even go up to 12" since it's Quartz. My concern is that the overhang is "L" shaped: Quartz footprint: 60" x 36"

Cabinet: 48" x 24"

Do you recommend support for this?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    förra året

If the estone is 3cm, I wouldn't worry about it; that's not much span.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.