cetucker

Is having a laundry room off the master bedroom a crazy idea?

Catherine Tucker
8 år sedan

We are building a small addition which will expand the footprint of our master bedroom. in a 1930s Colonial.

One issue we face is that it implies the laundry room will come off our master bedroom/closet.

Currently we have a stacked washer and dryer next to our bathtub in our master bathroom so this will be a huge improvement for us but I worry we will end up spending a lot of money on something that might hurt resale.

What would be your reaction if you saw this floor plan?

Kommentarer (12)

• User
    8 år sedan

I'd want to see what was done to deal with large amounts of water should the washer or the hoses leak. There are things made to deal with that unwanted water, tubs/pans for the washer with drains from the tub to a drain or outside.

Other than being assured such a contingency is in place, seems like more of a selling point than detraction.

Catherine Tucker thanked User
  • Catherine Tucker
    Författare
    8 år sedan

We are going to take the standard precautions for an upstairs laundry. I must admit we have never had a problem so far (in our four years of having one) so that wasn't my first worry.

Instead, I was worrying that other future owners would worry about having to have teenage kids and (even guests) traipse across their master bedroom to do laundry.

• rockybird
    8 år sedan

I wouldnt want people coming through my bedroom to do the laundry. Is there nowhere else to put it? Can you flip the master bathroom with the closet/laundry and add a small hallway with a door for the laundry, and a door to the master suite?

Catherine Tucker thanked rockybird
  • motherwallace
    8 år sedan

I agree with rocky. I wouldn't want to walk through the master in order to do laundry. I think most would consider it a con for resale.

Catherine Tucker thanked motherwallace
  • worthy
    8 år sedan

Nice feature--in a studio apartment. In a family home, not so much.

Can't imagine how inconvenient this would be should a future homeowner have a full-time or even occasional housekeeper.

Catherine Tucker thanked worthy
  • weedyacres
    8 år sedan

How about a little switcheroo with the rooms? With apologies for my crude sketch, something like this (needs refinining of course):

• MongoCT
    8 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 8 år sedan

I like weedys's idea of putting the laundry where the master toilet was, recessing the door to the master bedroom to allow for a door into the new laundry, and then sorting out your master bathroom and closet space because all you're doing there is swapping floor space. You don't have to deal with exterior walls and window locations.

I'll toss this idea out. Move the laundry over to where the linen
    closet was and move the linen closet across so it backs up to the
    stairway. Bedroom closets go behind the laundry.

You could also
    move the kids' bathroom to where I have the new laundry. With the
    bathroom layout adjusted of course. Then move the washer and dryer to
    where the tub is in the old kid's bathroom. In that laundry you could
    even keep the toilet and sink for a laundry/half-bath.

Catherine Tucker thanked MongoCT
  • Catherine Tucker
    Författare
    8 år sedan

I wanted to thank everyone who replied to this thread.

My conclusion is that it is a bad idea to have the laundry where this plan was originally suggesting. I think from our perspective it was so much better than having the washer and dryer in our master bath that we didn't have much perspective about how it might be viewed from others.

• homechef59
    8 år sedan

If it's a laundry that is ONLY used by the occupants of the master bedroom and there is another laundry elsewhere in the house, it's a luxury item. If it services the entire household, it's a bad idea. It will be a pain for the family and probably will hurt resale.

• sumac
    8 år sedan

Its a great idea to have the laundry by the bedrooms, but maybe not thru a bedroom. I like the suggestions above. you can make this work!

• PRO
    Elizabeth Rae Interiors
    4 månader sedan

Catherine Tucker, what did you end up doing?

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.