jalr13

8 foot by 8 foot Sliding Door Too Heavy?

jalr13
7 år sedan

I am hoping to find someone who has a large sliding glass door who can give me some insight on whether you feel it is annoyingly heavy. I am looking to put in an 8x8 foot door- probably Andersen 200 Series Narrow Line.

I was originally planning to put in an 8 foot wide, standard height door with a transom window on top, but have been strongly cautioned against that- the problem being that a transom above a sliding door causes the door to sag in the middle unless you put in a steel beam which creates a bigger gap between the door and window.

I have young kids, and I want them to be able to open the door on their own. They are all fine opening my parents' 8 foot wide, standard height door, I'm just wondering if that extra 2 feet on top will push the weight over the edge.

Any experience or input would be appreciated!

Kommentarer (5)

• User
    7 år sedan

I have an 8 x 8 and an 8 x 10. They are fine.

jalr13 thanked User
  • millworkman
    7 år sedan

I have sold many with no complaints, the larger the door the more important the quality is. The door is not where the problem lies in general it is the hardware. Not that familiar with Andersen any longer as I do mostly commercial these days but with any sliding doors I sell I always recommend the lager monumental stainless steel ball bearing rollers.

jalr13 thanked millworkman
  • PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    7 år sedan

+1. As long as you are up front about it, they are fine. Sold one to a client and they love the large and open look of it. Really opened up the kitchen view nicely.

jalr13 thanked Windows on Washington Ltd
  • jalr13
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Great- thank you so much for the feedback! The information for the 200 Series Narroline door ways that it has dual ball-bearing rollers. I'm not sure if that is the same as monumental stainless steel ball bearing rollers. In looking online I can't find monumental ball bearings, but I'll check into it some more. Thanks to everyone for chiming in!

• PRO
    Catana Windows & Doors Inc.
    7 år sedan

We actually specialize in large scale sliding doors that are smooth gliding, that you can open with one hand! Our sliding doors also open flush with a lift and slide feature. Our clients love them and are so easy to open and close.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.