idabean2

overwintering young plants with new roots

Marie Tulin
7 år sedan
senast redigerad:7 år sedan

If I ever wondered about the effectiveness of the 1-1-1 gritty mix, I have my answer and from that comes a question.

I had mail order perennial geraniums that I repotted in an unnamed and inferior product. There was virtually no root growth in the soggy mess of soil, if you could call it that. I am sure they would have rotted over the winter whether they stayed in the pots or I planted them out.

So I Repotted only two weeks ago in gritty and now every plant has beautiful fine, white roots growing into the medium. I was just reading another thread about repotting at this time of year, so I hope the root growth is a sign I made the correct decision.

How do I handle the plants from here? I have raised beds that drain well. I have plenty of pine straw mulch to use later as insulation. I have a shed where the plants will stay dry, but as cold as outdoors. And of course I have the garden.

Next question: I have several other perennials that were poorly rooted in pots that I recently planted in raised beds to overwinter them, hoping to increase their chance of survival. Should I replant them in gritty mix, keep them moist....and....keep outdoors with mulch (around January or what? Or leave well enough alone?

Thanks, Marie

Kommentarer (6)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 år sedan

The ones already in the ground I would leave alone except for mulching well. The newly planted ones I would heel into the raised beds and then mulch well.

• PRO
    Tina M. Yotka - Container Gardens Extraordinaire
    7 år sedan

For you other perennials, as long as your soil is still warm and you havent experience a hard frost, I would dig a few out to see if the root system has improved since you recently planted them in the raised beds for winter. If you do not see any change, I would go ahead and amend the soil with the gritty mix, keep them evenly moist for a few more weeks, and protect them with an extra layer of mulch.

• Marie Tulin
    Författare
    7 år sedan

gardengal: to me, healing in is 'without pots'. Do you mean 'in their pots'?

Tina, Thank you. Saving a lovely pergo "geranium' was next on my list to research. However, the geraniums I asked about were the non-tender, hardy perennial-in-zone 6 varieties. I see your second post addresses that.

tomorrow, to the garden!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 år sedan

Heeling in can be accomplished with or without pots - it is only sinking the rootball (in or out of a container) below the soil surface temporarily for protection......usually cold protection. Heeling in containerized plants in zones where they are unlikely to be winter hardy above ground is extremely common and a decent way to provide additional insulation against the cold.

And I would not dig up the already planted ones at this late date of the season - there is no need for any root disturbance and it could be detrimental to their survival over winter if disturbed now. Mulching is all that is required :-)

Pelargoniums - zonal geraniums - are pretty easily overwintered as houseplants :-) Or if you check some of the overwintering threads on the Geraniums forum, you will find a number of alternate methods as well.

• Marie Tulin
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Gardengal, In my experience plants heeled in without pots tend to become "permanent" in situ though I've once or twice found "heeled in" plants in pots that were forgotten and managed to survive quite a long time. The main reason I don't like heeling in larger trees and shrubs is that it annoys me to dig a hole knowing that I'll have to dig another one come spring. Never mind that many of my plants involve at least two or three holes; my design process is plant and move until the result is pleasing. Unfortunately, I lack spacial perception to get it right the first time and the imagination to grasp what a 2 foot shrub will look like as a 5 foot one or in 10 years.

However, needs must and these are small plants.

Thanks, people Marie

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.