georg_e_vergreen

Hippeastrum Giraffe.

georg_e_vergreen
7 år sedan
senast redigerad:7 år sedan

Giraffe. You can look the similarity with Iguazuanum.

Iguazuanum

Papilio and Iguazuanum. Giraffe have the same size of Iguazuanum. Maybe a few more.

Hello everybody!

This time I have a big dude about H. Giraffe: I think it's a primary hybrid between Iguazuanum x Papilio.

Iguazuanum have a very little size, Papilio is more big and well... Giraffe have the same size like Iguazuanum, the color, design, shape etc. In my observation, I have a lot of problems for obtain seeds of Giraffe (like Exotic Star). In the photos you can view a comparative with Iguazuanum and Giraffe.

What do you think about this? I can't found good descriptive information about Giraffe and her parents.

Greetings, George.

Kommentarer (18)

• Fred Biasella
    7 år sedan

Hola George,

Your flowers are absolutely beautiful. I have Giraffe too but the bulb is still quite small and at least one season away from blooming. I also have a number of igazuanum grown from seed last year and those are quite a few years from blooming. Thank you for showing us your beautiful pictures and letting us know what to look forward to.

Abrazos,

Fred

• georg_e_vergreen
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Hi Fred, good night!

You're a lucky guy for have seedlings of Iguazuanum...for me, this specie is the most beautiful with very characteristic shape (and Mandonii too). I hope some day all us enjoy your Iguazuanum photos.

Giraffe is a very interesting hybrid, primary (I guess)...maybe have only a little problem: the flower is very small (I guess it's diploid) and well, I still looking for more information about it. This season I'm using her pollen for make interesting crosses with japanese Cybister hybrids and Exotic Star (other of my favorites). In the last blooming season I make some crosses using Giraffe like seedpod parent but any success cross it with 5 or 6 diploids...is rare. In some days I try it again.

Thank you very much for your comment, friend and thank you so much for your words in spanish, gentleman.

Have a great nigth!

(and sorry if my grammar is poor, I'm not using translator lol)

Greetings and hugs, George.

• PRO
    Texas Amaryllis Nursery
    7 år sedan

I have several variations of a cross of Neopardina x Papilio that look very similar to 'Giraffe'. It is a possibility that these two are the parents or at least involved in the cross. Neopardina is now listed as Cardensiana.

• georg_e_vergreen
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Hi Texas Amaryllis, good nigth.

I believe you are a few confused. Do you mean Giraffe? Or Exotic Star?

Anyway, your "child" in the photo is awesome!

• Fred Biasella
    7 år sedan

Hola George,

Tu Ingles es perfecto, por favor no se preocupe. Yo soy de Argentina originalmante pero llevo casi 50 anos en Boston. Encantado de saber de ti.

Saludos y Abrazos,

Fred

georg_e_vergreen thanked Fred Biasella
  • georg_e_vergreen
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Mira vos, que sorpresa! En Facebook administro un grupo de plantas en general con unos 78 mil miembros y la gran mayoría son de la bella Argentina, de casi todas las provincias, excelentes personas y amigos.

Me ha dado un gusto saber que sos de allá, Fred. Un mate a tu salud.

Un gran abrazo!

• Fred Biasella
    7 år sedan

Hi Kristi,

A barrel full of Giraffe sounds absolutely wonderful, post a picture if you can :-))) It'll be quite some time till mine is even remotely close to that. The only thing I have that's that big is one of my older clivia with over 20 pups in a very large (Ooof my poor back) and heavy pot and is just now getting ready to bloom.

Fred

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    7 år sedan

Scapes are just coming up, so it will be a while for photos.

7 år sedan

Here was last year's blooms.

• georg_e_vergreen
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Beautiful! The most of them have 2 flowers per steam...the mine have 4 generally. This season 3 only.

Kaboehm, what about your Giraffes? I mean, my Giraffe not set seedpods anytime.

• sayqi (6b, Watertown, MA)
    7 år sedan

They're all so exotic looking. Any relation to Exotic Star?

• georg_e_vergreen
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Good afternoon, Sayqi.

Well, Giraffe and Exotic Star involves one specie in common: H. Papilio, the other parent is different is for this reason than ExoticStar and Giraffe have very distinct colors in the lines but similar shape thanks to Papilio...

7 år sedan

Last year was the first year they bloomed after nearly being lost to rot. Let's see what this year brings!

• PRO
    Texas Amaryllis Nursery
    7 år sedan

Hi georg_e_vergreen

I mentioned the Neopardina x Papilio cross as someone more knowledgeable than I thought the cross looked a lot like 'Giraffe'. It definitely does look like 'Exotic Star'. My crosses of Iquazuanum x Papilio do not look anything like 'Giraffe'. Of course could depend on the line of each used.

• georg_e_vergreen
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Thank you so much for your photos Texas Amaryllis Nursery!

This make more interesting my investigation about Giraffe!

Greetings!

• everado
    7 år sedan

Is that last picture one of your hybrids too? The color contrast is quite striking.

• PRO
    Texas Amaryllis Nursery
    7 år sedan

Hi everado,

All three are different individuals from seeds of the same cross.

Georg_e_vergreen,

Have you crossed your iquazuanum with your papilio? Would like to see what results you get. What about a reciprocal cross of papilio x iquazuanum?

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.