soobie123

Four-part flower

Sue
6 år sedan

One of the flowers in my Christmas Gift bloomed out wonky- it has four each of sepals and petals, instead of three!

Kommentarer (5)

• PRO
    Texas Amaryllis Nursery
    6 år sedan

Hi Sue,

I have seen this occasionally happen. Had two examples this year on Hippeastrum and Zephyranthes. (Notice the 4 lobed stigma on the Zeph). Not sure of the cause. May be an interaction of the genetics and environment causing a change (phenotype).

• haweha
    6 år sedan

Genuine 4+4 flowers are occurring every then and now, I can put up with 3 examples, the most beautiful, was on a "Limona"

On a"PapMinPic1"

and an F2 of H.cybister "Chico" x H.papilio

• haweha
    6 år sedan

That was the seed pod - from the respective floret of "PapMinPic1"

• PRO
    Texas Amaryllis Nursery
    6 år sedan

Those are great pictures. Have you sown the seed of any of these and did you get the 4+4 feature to come in the seedlings?

• haweha
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

No, I haven't. I do not even consider this an inheritable Variation. The progeny will JUST bear the same genetic "inclination" or "likelihood" in it, to produce a 4+4 floret! On the other Hand, if you had a seedling which produces them 4+4 flowers with a conspicuously higher likelihood if not even exclusively florets with this or any other Variation, THEN you could rightfully expect the respective Variation in the progeny. There is, afaik some multipetal Clivias which do transfer this variation to their progeny!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.