purrus

Finalizing exterior paint colors: revere pewter AND?

purrus
6 år sedan

Man, I am so sick of paint samples!

So I'm thinking revere pewter on the body (siding+brick) and hale navy on the shutters. For the door I wanted a lighter color (porch is dark and i wanted a happy or at least brighter color on the doors so they are visible), so I am thinking Wythe blue. Navy doors would make them disappear.

All colors are from Ben Moore, but I'm not sure about the wythe blue.Will it look odd with RP and HN? I have tried samples of all but it isn't the same as having it all done.

Help?

Here's the house again:

Kommentarer (38)

• Bunny
    6 år sedan

Have you actually painted some sample swatches on your house? Be sure to do it on all sides because they will look quite different depending on the location. I'm getting my house painted next week and I based my final decision on the front because that's my house's public face.

Are you keeping your trim the same color? White? Since it appears your front door is in a shaded spot, I'd want something lighter/brighter to bring it out of the shadows.

Good luck. I too am sick of paint samples.

• graywings123
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

Ben Moore suggests Silver Gray 2131-60 with Revere Pewter (click on Goes With):

Revere Pewter

• Kitchen_ Reno
    6 år sedan

We have revere pewter on our exterior, with black shutters and BM Hawthorne Yellow doors

purrus thanked Kitchen_ Reno
  • lizzie_grow
    6 år sedan

I was going to suggest something brighter for the door, too. Maybe a yellow as mentioned above. I love yellow doors!

purrus thanked lizzie_grow
  • purrus
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Hmmm, I had never thought of yellow. It looks like a color that would not go that well with revere pewter to me (it looks creamy on the front of my house, which faces north--not really like a grey). But I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of a yellow door!!! Kitchen Reno, can you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post a picture of your exterior?

Would a yellow door preclude the possibility of glossy dark navy shutters?

• purrus
    Författare
    6 år sedan

My three dogs, thank you for posting the colors! I was in a huge hurry and did not have time to do that when I first posted.

• purrus
    Författare
    6 år sedan

And since you asked Linelle, yes--I am keeping a bit of white trim, around the big bank of windows---there's two levels of trim there, and the bigger exterior trim will be RP. The trim that goes directly around the windows will be white, I guess. I'm not sure which white yet. I'm going to have some white anyway, because we have vinyl replacement windows that have white casings.

• purrus
    Författare
    6 år sedan

OK. I'm now on revere pewter for the body, chelsea grey for shutters and hawthorne yellow on the doors. I feel like the chelsea grey just makes more sense for this combo and is less severe than a super dark shutter color. What do you all think?

• Summer
    6 år sedan

A deeper yellow such as SW Lemon Twist would go with either combo.

• PRO
    Elizabeth Rae Interiors
    6 år sedan

purrus, I like your new combo. Hawthorne Yellow is plenty bright. As an alternative to the chelsea gray, have you considered puritan gray HC-164 for an even softer look? For your front door, are you talking about painting the solid doors that look like they are behind glass storm doors, or the frames of the storm doors?

• purrus
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Hi, I was going to paint both the storm door frames and the doors themselves. Right now I have only the doors themselves painted and you can't really see the color very well (a beautiful deep red). I'll take a look at puritan gray! thank you all!

• Kitchen_ Reno
    6 år sedan

Just saw your request for a picture. I am not home until tomorrow but will try to do it then!

just found this one on my phone...obviously not taken to show the house colors, but they are visible in the background

• purrus
    Författare
    6 år sedan

See, your door has white trim around it (quite beautiful I might add!). I wonder if the yellow (which I love) will look as good if there is no white trim. Beautiful house!

• Kitchen_ Reno
    6 år sedan

Maybe you can take a pic of your door closer up so we can see it better? It looks like the storm door is black now - is that what you're saying you would paint yellow too?

I love the idea of the Chelsea Gray for shutters. I considered a color like that too, but ultimately chickened out and went with the 'safer' (to me anyway!) black option.

• purrus
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Yes, I'd paint the storm door too. A few years ago I painted the doors red but not the storm door--it stayed black--and because of our shadowy porch and the reflection from the storm doors, you couldn't see the color at all. So the storm doors are getting painted!

I guess I am not that confident that Hawthorne yellow will look good right next to RP without white trim. Man, I wish it were in the budget to get new doors this year, but it just isn't.

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    6 år sedan

I like the three colors you chose, they look great together! And, I especially like the Wythe for the front door! And, if it doesn't work the front door would be fairly easy to repaint again.

• purrus
    Författare
    6 år sedan

OK, here are some progress pics. I know how much people love progress pics!

shutters removed--whoa!

siding painted...brick will be painted monday. Doors have one coat of paint. I am second guessing the hawthorne yellow. To me it is looking too similar to the revere pewter in this light -- it's a north-facing house and it was evening when I took this. Thoughts? I'm picturing my old color, a lipstick red, instead...

Shutters (new, wider paneled ones) will be kendall charcoal. I have some nice window boxes for the lower windows under the garage, and I'm not sure whether those should stay the polyethylene white they came in, or whether I should get them painted kendall charcoal. Thoughts?

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 år sedan

Remove shutters. Match clapboard to the brick. Door this fabulous red: B.M. Red Rock.

• purrus
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Thanks for that idea, but we're already underway!

HEre's the house in the daylight. I'm hoping I'll really like it once it is all finished.

• hooked123
    6 år sedan

Looks good!

• purrus
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Thanks! I'm hoping that I will like it a lot once it is all finished.

• purrus
    Författare
    6 år sedan

ok, brick mostly painted and plastic removed from most windows. Oddly I am kind of liking the no-shutter look now, but I have brand new, wider, freshly painted shutters in the garage, and someone coming to install them Thursday! Also window boxes for under the garage! I can't wait!

Despite my issues with this painter (why do I have terrible luck?), I'm thrilled with the changes so far.

• hooked123
    6 år sedan

Looks great!

purrus thanked hooked123
  • purrus
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Hi everybody! Well, house is painted. We love it in general but aren't thrilled with the Hawthorne yellow door. If I'd had some molding to paint white to articulate the yellow it would've worked fine, but as is there isn't enough of a contrast.

So I am re-painting today! Right now I'm looking at dark teal. Other ideas??

• purrus
    Författare
    6 år sedan

• purrus
    Författare
    6 år sedan

• hooked123
    6 år sedan

Deep grayish blue might be beautiful.

purrus thanked hooked123
  • purrus
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Thank you!! Any Recs for specific shades I might try?

• Kitchen_ Reno
    6 år sedan

Did you consider painting the storm doors white, and then having the actual front doors be a color (yellow, teal, anything)? That might help give it some definition

• purrus
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Yes, kitchen, I did! But here's the thing. It's really hard to see the door color behind the glass in the storm doors. And I want the color to show up. Does that make sense?

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    6 år sedan

Are your shutters black? When does the sun hit the front of your house? I am concerned that if we can't see the Hawthorne Yellow, it's going to take a bright color to show up.

purrus thanked My3dogs ME zone 5A
  • purrus
    Författare
    6 år sedan

It's a north facing house. Sun never hits te porch because it's covered! I think I need a super saturated color for it to show up

shutters=charcoal.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    6 år sedan

That stinks, doesn't it? This may be 'out there', but I wonder if you could get a recessed light fixture put into the porch ceiling that uses a low wattage bulb that would cast some light toward the door there inexpensively. I think it would make a huge difference in giving a welcoming look to the house, and I'd use it during the day, and have it on a separate switch from the one that controls the ones on either side of the doors. That would also allow you a larger palette since you'd be able to SEE the doors.

purrus thanked My3dogs ME zone 5A
  • purrus
    Författare
    6 år sedan

It does stink! That (new lighting) is a fantastic idea for down the road but we are also doing a major porch/walkway project (and hardscaping the back) so non-required projects are out of the question due to funds.

• theclose
    6 år sedan

I agree with my3dogs that if you want it to be seen from the street, it is going to have to be bright. I am not sure if you will even see it then, but you will see it more.

The last color of my door was BM Caribbean Azure. Here is a link to my before/after: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2543512/my-new-door?n=27

I really liked it. I really like the yellow on your house. Have you thought about going brighter yellow? I think a beautiful bright aqua or turquoise would be pretty too.

purrus thanked theclose
  • purrus
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Well one of the pics above shows some possibilities. A light, medium, and darker teal. None really feels right though I like the teal the best...

• purrus
    Författare
    6 år sedan

You know, maybe a darker/harsher yellow is the ticket. In this. Context the Hawthorne yellow looks like a soft buttery yellow. Hmmm

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.