ckickendahl

Landscape Help Please

C K
6 år sedan
senast redigerad:6 år sedan

This area is currently in dispute with my wife! She would like to turn it in to a big flower bed. I would like to cover in concrete, brick, rock, etc and put some planters. Reason being it there is a drainage issue(fixable) and I would have to maintain the bed(not fixable). I would appricate any advise on what to do with the area. The area is 25X5. Thanks!

Kommentarer (11)

• PRO
    User
    6 år sedan

I would choose planters in containers on gravel (free-draining) or pavers without mortar (also free-draining). In general, trees and shrubs near houses reduce airflow and you get mold/paint problems (obviously not as much a problem for brick houses). Do you have any way to get some drip irrigation to the pots? That would save both time and money (if over-watering). Also, that might be a nice place for a bench to sit on, flanked by floriferous containers.

• gigirambles
    6 år sedan

My first inclination would be to side with your wife...but I just spent over an hour out in the yard weeding...so currently, I'm leaning to your side of the equation. What if you put an ornamental tree surrounded by rock and some planters?

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    6 år sedan

Not enough room for a tree.

Personally, I'd never pave it nor use gravel nor any hardscape of any kind. But that's just me. If you don't want to plant anything there, just mulch it. Is that your front door?

What side of the house is this on? If it's in the shade most of the day, it would be a great place for hosta. A very low care perennial.

• C K
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Thanks everyone. This is the back yard. I do have this piped for irrigation for what ever route we choose. Keep the ideas coming.

• emmarene9
    6 år sedan

Any time I'm given a choice of plants vs concrete, I choose plants. I do my own garden work and do not consider it a chore. If your wife is not going to maintain the bed then it is reasonable that your should use hardscape instead.

• Rxonmymind Rxonmymind
    6 år sedan

There seems to be enough "rock" I'm thinking she's looking to soften the contrast between the brick and concrete? Now you want fill it with more brick or concrete? It'll look like an old school prison.

Find a compromise do a rock/plant garden with nice drip irrigation. No reason both can't have what you want. :)

• l pinkmountain
    6 år sedan

I agree, more hardscaping will look "hardened" for lack of a better term. There are easy care ground covers, small shrubs, etc. that can grow there and provide some color and living interest without being super difficult to maintain.

• PRO
    Southwest Boulder & Stone
    6 år sedan

You might choose a few of your favorite plants and then consider using something like Mexican Beach Pebble instead of mulch. Still drains well, means you don't have to plant/maintain the whole area, and the round pebbles will help offset the lines of the brick and concrete path.

• PRO
    Go Pavers
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

To soften the linear lines -- adding hardscape for you but curves and plants for your wife -- you could try a curving planter wall (not quite seating wall height show here):

Curved Planters and Pool Deck Redo - View 4 · Mer info

Then, below the lower wall, plant ground-cover, instead of a paver border.

Just a thought.

• PRO
    Verona Home Design
    6 år sedan

I would go with a big flower bed, it would look very nice there.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.