sochi

Update on wet system wallpaper for shower

sochi
6 år sedan

As suggested, I reached out to the manufacturer in Italy. They weren't terribly helpful. Language issue I think, I may still get an Italian friend to call for me. Then reached out to an store in The Netherlands that sells the Wall and Deco product. They were more helpful, but since they deal mostly with residential sales they couldn't give me a hotel or fitness centre contact. They have clients who have had the product for 4 plus years with no issues at all. They have it set up in their showroom (shoppers can stay the night and use the shower, how cool is that?) and they have great confidence in the product.

While there is some risk obviously I think I will take it and buy the product. Will get a quote Monday, including shipping. That may yet dissuade me.

Now the fun part, which wallpaper? The woman at the shop in Holland told me than any of Wall and Decos contemporary collections can be used with the wet system. So lots of choice.

Which of the ones below do you like best? For reference, our bathroom will have a walnut hanging vanity and I want to go with Silestone shower pan, wall and possibly floor (so all solid surface). The house is fairly modern. I'm a bit torn between whimsy and florals ....

Kommentarer (44)

• roarah
    6 år sedan

I like 2 and 4 so I think I lean floral! Really excited to see this finished!

• MongoCT
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

I like each of them in their own way.

In my opinion, each one makes a bit of a style statement. I can't put myself in your place, but if I had to choose one, it'd be the whales. I'm probably not describing it correctly, but to me it's somewhat primitive, and I like the aquatic theme.

Second choice would be the last one.

The "traveler and magician" text in #1 is a turn off for me. The script in the third one pushes it away from modern in my eye.

I think you could make any one of them work, because they are unique.

I hadn't seen these before. When able, if you can post a follow up regarding ordering, installation, quality of product, etc, it'd be worth having. To me anyway. I like seeing new things.

• sochi
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Thank you roarah and mangoCT. I will definitely keep everyone up to date on how this goes. From the video on Wall and Deco's site installation looks long but not technically difficult, like painting.

• sochi
    Författare
    6 år sedan

roarah, four is the leading contender for me, DH prefers the whales. Nosoccermom noted that #4 looks a little too boudoir. I see what she means, but I've found another shot in different light that isn't *quite* as boudoir I think.

Here are a couple of others I like as well:

• Fori
    6 år sedan

I was liking the whales until I noticed the narwhal and I couldn't be singing that song every day so I'd go with the philodendron.

• cpartist
    6 år sedan

The only one I like is #4.

• aprilneverends
    6 år sedan

as a more permanent choice -four

i thought why..my answer: since it doesn't dictate the mood for you. you can dictate your mood to it. It can be interpreted differently every day. I don't know whether I'm making much sense..

And I do love the colors

• lisadlu16
    6 år sedan

I like the flamingo all the way. Go bold!

• nosoccermom
    6 år sedan

Any updates?

Also, I probably missed this, but where would you be putting it? You mentioned Silestone on shower floor and walls.

• nosoccermom
    6 år sedan

Bump. Did you use it?

• sochi
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Sorry I missed this! I did post an interim pic of it on the design forum a few months ago. It is awesome, I love it. Easily my favourite part of the new house. I promise to post a reveal very soon. Here is a pic I took a couple of months ago, before glass went in:

View to shower from bedroom:

Close up;

• sochi
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Silestone for shower base and walls.

• beaniebakes
    6 år sedan

sochi... my heart skips a beat whenever I see your photos. I’m curious about the Silestone colors that you used. The colors are so powerful; so much nicer than the shower mock-ups in showrooms.

• sochi
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Hi beanie - thx! Silestone is charcoal soapstone. I also used it on the counter on the master vanity and counter on the walnut sideboard in the kitchen. Very happy with it.

• beaniebakes
    6 år sedan
    Thanks. What about the pan?
  • sochi
    Författare
    6 år sedan

The pan is the same, Silestone Charcoal Soapstone. It is honed.

• nicole___
    6 år sedan

I've never seen this done. Thanks for posting your progress!

• enduring
    6 år sedan

What a beautiful shower! And your bedroom wall is painted a lovely color too!

• justcallmepool
    6 år sedan
    I’m a hundred times jealous. This is beautiful!

Love the silestone shower floor and walls. I hate grout and wanted to use porcelain slabs in the shower but it was cost prohibitive due to installation. I don’t know why I never thought of using quartz. I’ll be kicking myself for years to come I’m sure.
  • kats737
    6 år sedan

Wow, way to do something different! It looks awesome.

• cpartist
    6 år sedan

What a wonderful way to wake up every morning. It came out fabulous. Ok better than fabulous. I want to see a full reveal now.

• tiggsy
    6 år sedan

Sochi, that looks fantastic. Do you mind sharing the name of the store and/or the website you ordered it from?

• just_janni
    6 år sedan

AGREED - I need something "awesome" for my shower and this COULD BE IT! I am in love with the whales, too! OMG!

Edit - saw the website above and it appears that there is a Miami showroom. I am calling them in the AM. If I can't use this in my shower, I think it is a need behind my bed. Just gorgeous!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING THIS!!!!!

I'd love to learn more about your experience actually USING it, and ideas about the cost to install.

• sochi
    Författare
    6 år sedan

It is from Wall and Deco - Italian. http://www.wallanddeco.com/en/

They have an office in Miami, although I ordered from Holland.

• just_janni
    6 år sedan

I already have a quote! Any feedback on living with this product? Would you do it again?

• sochi
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Jannicone, good luck! Did you get an image sized to your shower size? I had to agree to that before I got the quote. So far no problems, but it is still new. Would absolutely do it again

• User
    6 år sedan
    Beautiful!
  • just_janni
    6 år sedan

I just got a quote and working on understanding the system and convincing my husband. Also - need to ensure I have a really good "wallpaper" guy. I would def have image sized to shower, but they gave me the quote first. Then, I can order some samples, it appears. I got the quote out of Miami - so maybe it's getting a little easier to work with them locally / in the states.

Thanks again for posting this - it's so cool and I think it's just "the thing" I am looking for to bring pattern into my master bath.

• just_janni
    6 år sedan

(sorry for hijacking this - I am simply ridiculously excited about a shower product)

• justcallmepool
    6 år sedan
    Don’t be sorry! I am over here silently crying I just finished a whole house redo before seeing this. I love it. I’m trying to think of any way I can to use it haha.

Speaking of, y’all talk about sizing. How big or small a space is required? Could it be used for a backsplash? :)

Sochi, I’m also curious about your shower floor and using the silestone slab. Did you work around any building code? I was told here it had to be 4” square or smaller. I hate it.
  • beaniebakes
    6 år sedan

jmarchbanks...Silestone makes a number of different shower pans with different size options. https://www.silestoneusa.com/shower-trays/

However, I’ve been unable to locate any business in my region that can get me a price or place an order. I searched Silestone’s “where to buy” database and got a list of businesses but they all seem to offer kitchen counters and vanities. Some didn’t even know that Silestone makes shower pans and one business doesn’t sell Silestone and was surprised its name was on the web site. I wrote to Silestone for assistance and am awaiting a reply.

Meanwhile, I’m interested in the technical aspects of Sochi’s installation with regard to waterproofing, not only the wallpaper, but where the wall slab meets the pan. The pan doesn’t have a flange, and Silestone’s installation instructions are terrible.

• sochi
    Författare
    6 år sedan

All this interest is great! DH is taking photos his afternoon and I will post a reveal later today. I will try to answer all the technical questions then. I will title the new post: Sochi bathroom reveal: wet wallpaper + silestone showerpan for those who find this thread in the future and need to search for new thread.

yes, the wallpaper can definitely be used as a backsplash!

• PRO
    Katherine Tincher Design
    5 år sedan

Hey Sochi, I'm trying to convince my contractor to use this in a shower design. How did you handle the waterproofing between the wallpaper and the shower pan? I've watched the Wall and Deco installation video and it looks like they just use a silicon-type seal over it? Seems like that will fail over time. How did you waterproof both there and between the silestone slabs? Thanks so much!!

• sochi
    Författare
    5 år sedan

Hi Katherine - I will follow up with my contractor and get back to you.

• sochi
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 5 år sedan

Hi again, he is travelling so I just spoke to him in the phone. LMK if this doesn’t make sense.

The silicone seal is the last step and primarily is to protect the wallpaper, not to prevent water infiltration, although of course it helps. First step is the cement board - wall and deco says you can install over regular drywall, probably okay but my contractor put in cement board appropriate for a wet space. Then waterproof Kerdi (Schluter?) membrane covering pretty much everywhere, overlapping appropriately. Wall and Deco have a water proof product that is applied to seams (and the whole wall I believe). This requires three coats over a number of days. Finally the silicone, which my contractor recommends be reapplied or touched up every year or so to provide additional protection the very bottom of the wallpaper.

This video about Kerdi membrane and Kerdi band may help.

We’ve been using the shower for a year now, still love it and no signs of wear or damage.

Good luck.

• sochi
    Författare
    5 år sedan
  • Jade Balmuth
    5 år sedan

Hi Sochi, what do you use to clean the wallpaper?

• sochi
    Författare
    5 år sedan

Any mild cleaner should be fine. I don’t scrub, but wipe down with the cleaner and rinse.

• Houzz-ID: 771466391
    4 år sedan

Hi Sochi. May you please share how the product was delivered. Was it in long sheets or rolls? I have placed my order and just wanting to know what to expect.

• sochi
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Hi - it was in rolls. Good luck with it!

• Kristen McGavock
    2 år sedan

Hello! I am dying to do this in my daughters bathroom. How has it held up? Has cleaning become an issue? It is a tiny bathroom and I want to do all of it in the wallpaper. What do you think?

• Emily Keith
    2 år sedan

OMG! I have been researching Wall&Deco and other creative shower wall options for weeks, and just stumbled onto this post! I would love to hear from ALL of you that have done this!!

• SassyAngie
    förra året

Hi Sochi. How’s your wallpaper holding up after several years of use? No waterdamage?

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.