maryann_dale

Help me landscape my weird shaped mid century modern house!

Mary D
6 år sedan

Hello all stylish, Green-Thumbed Houzz friends,

I need some help to add some curb appeal landscaping to my oddly shaped Quad level 1965 Mid Century Modern home.

Some things to consider:

- Zone 5 (Detroit area)

- Part sun

- Willing to get rid of the plants I have or relocate elsewhere in the yard

- Willing to landscape around the trees on the circular drive

Any advice for me? I have been searching online for landscaping ideas for this style of house (right top heavy) and having a hard time!

Regards,

Mary

Kommentarer (10)

• sheloveslayouts
    6 år sedan

Awesome house! Do you have plans to repair/replace the driveway? Does the present configuration serve you well? It looks like it might only be wide enough for one vehicle?

• Mary D
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

Yes, we will be repairing the driveway next spring, but would like to keep it circular. We don't have sidewalks so it is a great spot to have the kids ride their bikes. It has only one "lane" on the circle, but the drive going to the garage on the side is wide enough for 2 cars

• Mary D
    Författare
    6 år sedan

benjesbride not sure if you saw my response

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    6 år sedan

I would go in this general direction, part of which is improving the complexion of the turf. It's a large and important part of the overall look. I don't know if there's room to put the small tree in front of the blank part of the house. Can't tell from the picture. At the right side of house, in front is just low groundcover.

Mary D thanked Yardvaark
  • mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    6 år sedan

What you've got it a fairly typical split level, with the exception that the garage is off to the side instead of underneath the bedrooms. So to my mind, the 'weird' part isn't the right side of the house, but the left. Trees will help, but it is hard to judge from the photos if there is room for them with the existing trees.

For some reason, the usual landscaping is groundcovers and white birches.

Mary D thanked mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
  • Mary D
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Thank you, yardvaark ! Your rendition is amazing! thank you so much. How did you do this? What computer program did you use?

• Kim in PL (SoCal zone 10/Sunset 24)
    6 år sedan

I wonder if you would have enough space for a Japanese maple if you were to remove that sheared evergreen in front of the windows next to the front porch? Asian influences were a big part of the mid-century modern look, both in architectural design and landscaping. There are many articles and examples of Asian influences on mid-century modern to be found online. Look into Fargesia cold-hardy (clumping type) bamboos for use in your garden or in a pot, another look that will fit well with your house.

Edit: Meant to say I love that butterly chair out front! Classic.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    6 år sedan

Microsoft Paint. It is drawing/painting on your photo. (And some erasing of shrubs using the select tool.)

• PRO
    don fiore company, inc.
    6 år sedan

I have a landscape architect that we work with who specializes in this area. Check out Wall to Wall on this site.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.