saraannford

can't decide between quartz or marble for kitchen island

Sara
6 år sedan
I have a darker granite in my kitchen now, it's super easy and easy to live with. However, I don't love love the look of granite. I would like to change my island to keep the perimeter with the granite but change the island to a lighter color more of a wow look. My heart loves the marble but my head says quartz. I hear cons about both, I hear they both will burn and stain and chip, but marble will absorb stains and can be cleaned where quartz cannot. I would do honed either way and of course marble. I have 3 kids and a husband that I don't want to police in the kitchen. They main thing would probably be water sitting on the counters. I could go either way.... help!! I have lived with dark granite and light corian and never had a problem with either.

Kommentarer (41)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    6 år sedan

Save the marble for the master bath, and use a faux marble quartz for the kitchen. It's more durable, it won't scratch, and it won't stain as easily. Calacatta marble is really beautiful, no doubt, but most of my clients want something that's easy to care for. Caesarstone's Statuario Nuvo is really great looking as is their Calacatta Nuvo. If you go this route, either use the same material for the backsplash or find a solid white tile that is the same shade. Good luck!

• Judy Mishkin
    6 år sedan

a quartz will serve you better. i have a honed absolute black on my island, and everything leaves rings. they are removable but my quartz perimeter counters are a lot easier to deal with.

• PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    6 år sedan

Quartz countertops are more durable and so much more easy to maintain. The good thing is that you can find marble look quartz like Calacatta Nuvo, Cashmere Carrara Quartz, and Frosty Carrina Quartz. You can have best of both worlds.

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    6 år sedan

Quartz is my vote. Easy to care for compared to marble. Like you said, you don't want to police the kitchen and that would happen with marble.

• PRO
    KR Kitchen Remodeling, LLC
    6 år sedan

There is no real question, Quartz! Marble will be a maintenance NIGHTMARE!

• PRO
    Mike Bridgman / Willson Kitchen Design Studio
    6 år sedan

It really depends on you. Quartz is lower maintenance. Marble and quartzite look better. Europeans have been using marble forever they let it wear and love it. Americans tend to want perfection. There are some incredible sealers available that really negate some of the maintenance.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    6 år sedan

I have Fantasy Brown Quartzite on my counter tops and it it's been bullet-proof. I chose a leathered finished at the recommendation of the stone center. It's not the marble look that you want, but this link shows something you may like -

https://countertopinvestigator.com/white-quartzite/

• User
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

CARRARA MARBLE!!!!!

(that was easy...)

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    6 år sedan

My Interior designer, sister in law loves her real marble tops...but her kitchen is a work horse...she cooks a lot...is French/Italian and doesn't mind the top looking like real worn marble. For her, it's part of the charm. I almost went with real marble but ultimately decided to go with Quartz Silestone Lagoon. I did not want the 'patina' and sealing. If you want your tops to look perfect all the time, then marble is probably not for you. If you are ok with the aged patina that can happen with marble, then maybe it is. I love my quartz in both my kitchen and bathroom and they still look like they were installed yesterday. Read this lady's experience with both materials. For her, water spots are an issue (click here): BLOG: An experiement in marble vs quartz

• PRO
    Milcasa
    6 år sedan

Hello. Before deciding in favor of this valuable design material, you should, however, know something. As a kitchen work surface, marble requires great care and greater care in handling. Because the marble is softer and more porous, the scratches appear on it, and it also gets dirty quite easily. Particular care should be taken with products such as red wine, coffee and tea, various kinds of oils and juices. Sour fruit (eg, lemon), too, can spoil the color of marble. Therefore, if you put tea cups and glasses on the surface, you should always use stands specially designed for this purpose, in order to avoid absorption of liquids by the marble surface. The physical properties of quartz stone are also at a height - it is a durable and hardy material. Since quartz is produced industrially, its porosity, and therefore its absorbed capacity with respect to the fluids, is almost practically reduced to zero. Thus, we are dealing not only with water-resistant and resistant to liquids, but also with very hygienic material.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 år sedan

IMO marble is a natural stone that gets a patina over time I would not do honed only because that finish already absorbs more than polished. I love Cararra marble and IMO just a nice choice but I would like to see what you are mixing it with. We stay in a hotel in Rome where all the marble was installed 50+ years ago on floors bathroom entirely looks awesome but if you are anal about patina then go quartz but you will still have to protect from heat.

• pandtkendall
    6 år sedan

After having quartz in my kitchen to me it’s the only choice I’d ever make.

• aprilneverends
    6 år sedan

I'd ask another question alltogether..being a bit of an impractical person sometimes..and as someone who lived years with marble, limestone etc and loves them..what material on your island will work better with your other materials in the kitchen, starting with your granite?

I haven't seen the pics of your granite, they're all wildly different. maybe it's very easy to work with. Or maybe two stones mught be fighting each other. Or maybe you should go for quiet Quartz..or for marble that does work amazing with your granite. Or maybe you'll be able to find a Quartzite that is a perfect partner to your granite, and makes you feel much easier about upkeep than marble (which is not as bad as often pictured..yeah it's going to get this or that at some point but mostly, if you're there to wipe it down on time..look, it's a question of what's one used to. I'm used to patina. Oh of course first blemish will be "aaaaa"! second will be less"aaa". Then you get to the point you look at it and your "aaa" sounds very different:) It's more like "aaah". lol. You know yourself better though)

I'd figure out the general look and feel first..then, I'll figure out which material will give me that look..then I'll think about function-in my specific household..then I'll narrow it down.

Cost can be decisive too..some marbles are cheap some aren't..Quartzite will be expensive but say, it answers all your questions and you're in love with one..

I have Quartz right now in the kitchen-I'm pleased since I was looking for a very quiet surface there, I looked at it as something to mainly support the tile. In my heart though I know I'd prefer something more alive..like wood. In my specific kitchen.

We put a marble in our masterbath and I really love it too. Yes it has couple duller spots already..you know the ones you see when light hits it? And I have a special paste to get rid of these:)

(but I didn't get to it yet

which tells me they don't bug me as much)

• Sara
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Thanks everyone! I'm not sure i will ever decide, maybe I'll let my husband and then I can just blame him if I don't like it-kidding!
    I've seen so many beautiful warm white marbles with a great mix of browns and gray, but where are the quartz slabs, I've seen two! I even drove to Memphis today to look and nothing! I can't pick from a small square and online pick. Sabrina, those r my exact quartz options I'm looking for! If only I could see one!
    And who has heard quartz will burn? We've got two fabricators in town and one loves quartz and the other hates it. And can anyone be more specific on what exactly "maintenance" entails when it comes to marble?
  • happy2b…gw
    6 år sedan

I have both polished marble and Caesarstone quartz that looks like limestone in my kitchen. I love them both and knew the issues with marble. First of all, there are no countertop materials that are maintenance free or damage proof. Don't believe it that a hot pot can be put down on a cold stone without risking a break. You asked about maintaining marble. It needs to be sealed. Acidic products will etch it. Unpolished marble is more prone to staining. Marble chips especially on the edges. It can scratch. After 10 years of use by active family members, the marble in my kitchen has some chips and some etches. The etches stand out in certain lighting. It does not look awful, but I chose marble, so I am willing to live with it. Marble is beautiful. The quartz in the other hand is pristine. I do see water marks sometimes but cooktop cleaner rubs them out.

To see quartz slabs, call around to stone yards or ask your fabricator. sometimes the fabricator has remnants of quartz that are fairly large. When you have made a choice, it is advisable to see the slabs in person. In my area, most of the stone yards have quartz slabs. I contacted Caesarstone directly and they sent me a 12 inch tile sample for free because I could not see a sample larger than a tiny square. Have you looked at the Caesarstone website? Here is the link to showrooms in my area with information about what Caesarstone is used in display kitchens and bathrooms. At least you could see your choice in situ. If you scroll down, you will notice that information where I can see whole slabs in my area is given. Put in your zipcode to see what is in your area. On the other hand, MSI Stone has warehouses that are open to the public in lots of places. Maybe there is one near you. Quartz like marble by MSI is very beautiful. My daughter recently selected Cosmos marble quartz, also beautiful. Cosmos has their own stone yards open to the public.

I wish you luck with this arduous process. You are doing your homework and you will be pleased with whatever you choose.

• PRO
    Banchitta Contracting
    6 år sedan
    I️ wouldn’t use natural marble in the kitchen.
  • User
    6 år sedan

Well, I voted marble. And feel free to blame me, Sara. No problem with that.

In all seriousness, BOTH will be beautiful but it's human nature to wonder "what if"...I have learned to trust my first gut instinct. It may not be right, but it saves me quite a bit of stress!

Good luck.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    6 år sedan

I have a family of 5 and we have Dolomya honed hard marble on one island for seven years. The other, smaller island has a metal top. That gets more use.

We use the marble for rolling out doughs or any kind of baking, and we use it as a buffet when we entertain casually. I love it.

Within the first year, i left tomatoes from the garden in a colander on the marble. One was cracked and it leaked tomato juice, which is acidic. Acids can leave rings. The ring is very pale now and you can only see it from certain angles. Doesn't bother me at all. It does not really have a patina. I don't do anything special to clean it.

• PRO
    User
    6 år sedan

Sara, there is no perfect. But, there is almost perfect for what someone needs it to be. :) Since you mentioned that you traveled to Memphis, I will ask if you went to Pacific Shores new location in Olive Branch. It has great choices for a wide variety of white stones. Not just marble or quartz. There may be something that is neither that would work better for you. Also, have you chosen a fabricator yet? Is he local to your home, or in Memphis? Give me a yell if you'd like to discuss local sources for products and I can help.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 år sedan

I would also consider the fact that marble is a natural material that has to be mined whereas quartz is manufactured (even though it is about 97%) quartz.

• Sara
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Thanks y'all! I think at this point I'm feeling more comfortable with using marble on the island and keeping my trusty granite on the perimeter. I will use a sealer from DuPont that's pricey but will keep the marble in good condition. With all the marble slabs in the stoneyard already reserved, I can't be the only one using it. The COOKS KITCHEN,
    I went to triton stoneyard in Southaven as I was downtown Memphis. I will go to pacific stone thanksgiving week as we will be home (collierville) for the holiday. Do you work there? I appreciate everyone's input but I think my gut is saying the marble route. Here's hoping it goes well!! Y'all r really great help! I get back to you when it's time for the backsplash choice.
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 år sedan

Life is too short. Get what you want. If you hate it in a year, can you afford to replace it or will you hate it for the rest of your life. If you get quartz, will you always look at it and think "I could of had the real thing!" I had read somewhere that Italians just go ahead and throw a bunch of tomatoes on their marble to etch it right away!

• caligirl8i8
    6 år sedan

I have white macaubas quartzite (also called calcutta quartzite) and I love it! I have had it for about 8 months now and have not had a problem with stains, chipping, etc.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 år sedan

I seriously question how either quartz or marble will "play" with granite countertops on the peripheral cabinets. Please show us your granite and the rest of your kitchen.

• Sara
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Thanks y'all! I decided on a Tesoro bianco marble from brazil. It is white with Taupe and grey veining for the island. I saw lots of quartz in a home show and while it all looked nice, it looked the same as corian to me. Which I like corian, so I wonder why people pay for more for the quartz?
    If the existing granite perimeter doesn't look good, we will change it too, but I kinda like mix and match, so we will see. Still under construction right now. Now to pick out the sink, faucet, backsplash or make some more paint decisions, fun fun!
  • Sara
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Making progress
  • jenoliver139
    6 år sedan

Sara, what kind of granite do you have on the perimeter? I am redoing my kitchen and trying to decide whether to do black marble or black pearl granite counter-tops.

• Sara
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Hey! I'm not sure what it is, it was popular in 2005 when the house was built. It has brown and black speckles. Not cute close up but not bad from a distance and it works well
  • PRO
    Stash Home
    6 år sedan

If you have 3 kids, use a quartz for the kitchen. It is more durable. They both look great so you can't go wrong!

• Design Girl
    5 år sedan

I'd never mix marble and granite in the same space.

• Sara
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    Hi everyone so it’s been a year now. After searching and searching, we ended up tearing all the tops out and doing MT Blanc quartzite everywhere. There are beautiful! However I’m still looking for a good dealer (the one i used doesn’t block oil very well).
  • Sara
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    Mt Blanc quartzite
  • User
    5 år sedan

Really pretty Sara

• barncatz
    5 år sedan

Ooh, those are lovely!

• Sara
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    And finally got the tile up
  • Fsal
    5 år sedan
    How has th me quartzite held up so far?
  • User
    5 år sedan

perfect application of tile all the way up a wall.

• lucky998877
    5 år sedan

Sara, absolutely fantastic! I love how glossy the back splash is with the more matte finish of your hood. The stone of course is fabulous! Merry Christmas :)

• lexi408
    3 år sedan

Did you end up going with the Tesoro Bianco from Oacific Stone? I bought it last week so was curious!

• Debbie K.
    8 månader sedan

Rita. i’m curious. i keep seeing things about bring back the real Sophie. What’s that about?

Thanks!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.