lindawiencek

Window treatment for front door

Linda Wiencek
6 år sedan

Today I placed an order for plantation stutters all over my new house Including the French doors to the back porch. The window trim is white--Sherwin Williams "alabaster" and the shutters will be exactly the same color.

I did not order anything for the front door because the door we want will not come in until mid-January after we move in. The new door will have glass covering 3/4 of it and the wood will be stained dark brown. I think white shutters would not do justice to the beautiful dark stain. I don't think dark wood shutters would look good on the outside with all other windows white.

I am considering a dark woven-wood shade with a white liner or conversely, a white Roman shade with dark brown bands (or navy bands as I will have a hall rug with navy in it.) I should also mention that I have glass French doors going into the study right off the front door. Those doors will be stained dark brown also. I had not thought about covering the French doors. But, if I do, it will not be with plantation shutters. It would be shades.

Any ideas? About either white or wood stained plantation shutters or about woven woods or Roman shades? I will take photos later. We are moving December 20! EEK!

Kommentarer (20)

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 år sedan

Shutters and blinds on doors? Where on earth do you live that you need such?

• Linda Wiencek
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Memphis, Tennessee area. The door will be almost all glass. I don't know where you could live that you would not want to cover your windows that anyone could see in at night.

• Rawketgrl
    6 år sedan

Shutters on door. Stained the same color as the door. It will look fine outside, front doors are usually a different color than the rest of the house/windows.

Linda Wiencek thanked Rawketgrl
  • jennsbabysky
    6 år sedan

What about installing privacy glass or even that stick up film on the door? We have sandblasted glass in our front door and it lets in light but still gives complete privacy. And in the small window I used the stick on film that is super cheap on Amazon. It isn't as nice as the sandblasted glass, but I was surprised at how easy the film was to install and how nice it actually looked. I'm having trouble visualizing shutters or shades on a front door, it seems like it would take away from your new door.

• PRO
    Tare It Up!!!
    6 år sedan
    I am modifying my own front door which has stained glass and so I understand the desire for privacy but I agree with the others that putting curtains or shutters on them would be distasteful. Since you are buying a new door, I am wondering why you bothered the stain glass inserts at all to just cover them? I think your best suggestion was already given, privacy film. I have actually painted my glass...but because I'm too thrifty to buy a new door and I just enjoy reinventing the wheel!
  • User
    6 år sedan

Our front door is stained wood with the top half cut out window. It's a really lovely door but we too had the issue (ours is clear glass ) of not wanting to be able to see easily and directly in.

I mean our staircase is in view and maybe coming down the stairs in pj's or whatever attire does not need to be viewable from outside the front door.

I got lace door panels which still at least let in light and some view but it is limited. They used to be easy to find relatively- I got them at Country Curtains which is going out of business .

I have had them up for over 25 years and it totally works. However, I too have been thinking of trying one of those window films (there are some really interesting ones (I have seen on the web- and then Home Depot and Lowe's sell them as well...just haven't gotten the courage to give it a try).

I would say if at all possible at this stage, if you can get different glass put in (stained, etched, whatever) that would be my suggestion. I am sorry that we did not do that.

I did a glass insert in a kitchen cabinet- and even that with seeded glass is still pretty open but blocked enough that I think would work fine for a front door.

• Linda Wiencek
    Författare
    6 år sedan

This is the front. It is a long, narrow house. The neglected to order the front door. He just hung a white solid door. I liked this look so much that I told him we would wait. I never thought about changing the glass to etched.

I may do sheer panels and put them on the doors to the study as well. But, I may go with the stained wood shutters as Rawket Grl suggested.

• maddielee
    6 år sedan

If you hope to keep the window uncovered during the day, see if your door manufacturer can place the blinds between the glass. We have them on 3 sets of French doors and like them a lot.

• bossyvossy
    6 år sedan

I’m a little confused. Most people select doors w/glass inserts for the extra light they provide into house. If you cover the glass, won’t it negate the extra light? Also, if your front entrance is NOT a few feet from the street, why not leave uncovered? Personally, I try to look into those doors and never see much. If security is still an issue, perhaps a camera would discourage the peepers.

• User
    6 år sedan

For us, our house is set far back from the street so no real visibility there but my concern is for example if someone is at the door (expected or unexpected, welcome or not welcome) if the window is totally clear then they see right in. With the lace curtain or a variety of glass, it is at least somewhat obscured.

Definitely love the light coming in.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 år sedan

Well, I don't run around my house naked or in nothing but my underwear, so why would I care if someone can see in? It's not directly on the sidewalk so their vision would have to be pretty extraordinary to see much more than there is a person in the house. I don't close any of my blinds and curtains at night except in very cold weather in the winter. I just couldn't care less if someone knows I'm home or can see into my house.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    6 år sedan

Well of course the front door/window should be covered! What if the UPS man is standing there when you come down the stairs nekkid? Or your pastor? Or the kid next door? Or your mother-in-law when you want to pretend you don't hear her ringing the doorbell?

Linda Wiencek thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • PRO
    Barbara Brown Interiors, Inc.
    6 år sedan
    I think Roman shades would look great. You can have them up if you like, or down for privacy. Coordinate them with your decor. The lining needs to look great from the outside. Consider a color that blends into your door color. Adding a wide band trim to the bottom inside edge would dress them up. Good luck!
    Linda Wiencek thanked Barbara Brown Interiors, Inc.
  • Linda Wiencek
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Well, people around here do cover their windows at night. The purpose of shades or shutters or blinds is to close at night and open in the daytime. However, here in the South, we often close them on the south or west sides to block the sun in the summer. I, personally have my nightgown on late in the morning and early in the evening...just comfortable that way. BUT, you can only see in when it is dark outside unless someone is on the porch.

I am excited to be getting shutters this time because you can open the top to let natural light in, but keep the bottom closed. That will come in handy when I am sitting at my desk right in front of the window preparing taxes January-April in my pjs or gown. I am a retired CPA and I only meet clients in the afternoon, but I work very efficiently mornings and evenings in my pjs at first and gown later in the season.

• hcbm
    6 år sedan

I have a simple cream insulated roller shade from Country curtain on my front door, the top has a large square window with 9 divided lites. I t doesn't look bad when closed and sort of just disappears when rolled up

• hcbm
    6 år sedan

Top of the door not the shade.

Linda Wiencek thanked hcbm
  • Linda Wiencek
    Författare
    6 år sedan

I think that is what my door looks like. Posted the front of house earlier.

• hcbm
    6 år sedan

Yes very similar, but my window is smaller. I do not want people looking in my door therefore the shade. I have had it for years and it needs a new one, but Country Curtains doesn't have anymore left. I am going to just sew one and use the same mechanism. I have done that before. Also Joann Fabrics sells the mechanism if you want to make one.

Linda Wiencek thanked hcbm
  • PRO
    Stash Home
    6 år sedan

You can't go wrong either way! We would love to see white stained plantation shutters, very classic.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.