edubya

Predictions: What do you think will be the next big thing in design?

Emily H
6 år sedan

End of the year is always a fun time to make predictions for the coming one. When you think about design and decor in general, what are your predictions for the "next big thing" to come about?

Tell us! (photos encouraged)

Kommentarer (115)

• woodteam5
    6 år sedan

Flower print. fabric, wall paper, furniture, etcetera

• dirtmechanic
    6 år sedan

Well that was a sorry attempt on my part to describe cellulite. Too subtle, obviously.

• havingfun
    6 år sedan

tis ok dirt, like that for all atimes

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    6 år sedan

Dirt, I got it, unfortunately.

• havingfun
    6 år sedan

as i was coming in just now, i forgot what was happening and it dawned me that dirt is classic, lol

• everdebz
    6 år sedan

Design Matters: "This kitchen won an ASID award! We designed it with [3-form.com] money plant laminated glass product, on standoff's / back lit it from underneath with LED lights set in a channel behind the concrete counters, recessed in the wall. 3form makes amazing product and are very helpful."

https://www.houzz.com/photos/menlo-park-kitchen-contemporary-kitchen-san-francisco-phvw-vp~2250989

• everdebz
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan
  • everdebz
    6 år sedan

Susan Jay Design: The panel material is from LUMICOR and we had a craftsman integrate the panels into the custom framework.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/custom-master-bath-vanity-utilizing-lumicor-contemporary-bathroom-los-angeles-phvw-vp~142275

• everdebz
    6 år sedan

More and better lighting. More recycled items... won't costs keep coming down?

• PRO
    nBaxter Design + Real Estate
    6 år sedan

Judging from High Point Market and what fabric and furniture manufacturers are introducing, there are a few significant changes coming.

1) Purple based neutrals, like cocoa and mink; grays and browns that are *almost* purple, but not quite.

2) Formal finishes and designs- more traditional, but not carved ornate traditional. Refined lines and sophistication.

3) Rich wood kitchens with modern lines and chic pulls

4) Quart and quartzite counters and back splashes

5) Dressmaker tailoring on sofas and chairs

6) Marble furniture

What's out, or on the way

1) Distressed and reclaimed furniture

2) Moroccan tiles

3) Granite

4) Farmhouse everything

5) White and stainless kitchen sinks

6) Accent walls

Next Wave: the End of Trend

Designing specifically for you and your personality type. When we go into retail furniture stores we think "this look is SO me," but what we're responding to is the emotion that the designs evoke (companies spend millions researching and developing the mood to hook you). Months later we feel anxious and don't know why and think it's everything but our home- marriage, job, family... Extroverts can't survive in Restoration Hardware homes, Introverts aren't made for open floor plans and bright colors. It's not about decorating a space, but using furnishings and finishes to create emotions that reflect and support the homeowner. Designers shape emotion, that's our talent; much like great art-- it's not about paint and canvass, but how it makes you feel, and it's 100% controllable-- if you know how to do it.

• K Laurence
    6 år sedan

nBaxter Design.... your list of what’s coming is just what I saw, everything listed there, in a very well-to-do relatives’ house that I stayed in recently. While staying there I loved everything about their house, really couldn’t put my finger on it, your list gives me some insight as to why I loved their decor so much. It was very understated & sophisticated , not an overused trend in sight.

• hamamelis
    6 år sedan

I vaguely remember a rose gold trend long ago that was pretty but also over pretty quickly.

An article on the plans developed by High Point furniture manufacturers says "browns are back." That struck me as funny, as in when were they gone (in mass markets anyway), but apparently beiges and brown are displacing grays. That should be a boon here, at least, with fewer people asking what the rooms they painted gray and filled with brown furniture need.

The same article brought up something bigger, though, that I was thinking, remembering back to the turn to conservatism in the 1980s when colorful cars disappeared from the roads, replaced by quiet neutrals that mostly blended into the pavement. That is of course the effects of political climate on design, and this suggests people are now wanting "calm." Confident eras of general wellbeing tend to manifest as bright and adventurous, but the prediction is that 2018 will be about seeking safe nests in neutrals, color values averaging a bit deeper also.

That would go along with a bit of layering, getting out those heirlooms and hand-me-downs that've been hidden away during the past era's look of uncluttered, straight-lined, new-from-the-store, homogeneously tasteful residence-hotel fusion.

That dreaded (oh, me too!) mauve (and blue) of the 1980s may be returning in the grayed lavender versions I saw touted, and also in that rose gold, but somehow I don't think we have to worry about duck-on-stick decor coming back. We do advance. :)

• gtcircus
    6 år sedan

Minimalism will continue......but.....
    Traditional Sophisticated will be back IN - with an emphasis towards elegance.
    Color, especially rich color is back IN.
    All white rooms & pale washed out rooms are definitely OUT.
    IKEA is OUT unless you are under 25 & decorating a dorm room.
    Rich wood cabinets are back IN - but you will see a mixture of wood surfaces to include both stained and painted wood.
    Matchy Matchy remains OUT.
    A statement antique piece is definitely IN when mixed with more modern pieces. An antique museum house remains OUT.
    Art for decorating with no meaning is OUT.
    Family heirlooms with history are IN.
    Barn doors are OUT unless on a barn. So are large clocks unless on Big Ben.
    These are main stream treads not haute couture.

• KD
    6 år sedan

When was Ikea ever IN?

• palimpsest
    6 år sedan

Ikea and WestElm are extremely popular centered around urban areas where they have stores and the local "lifestyle" publications often feature interiors that are definitely utilizing things from there

For the size of the city I live in, interior design has minimal editorial presence. So you will almost never see anything well-done, polished, high concept, or expensive published for mass viewing. I think there is a stronger need for privacy in my location than say NY LA or Chicago where people don't seem to mind showing off their interiors.

• K Laurence
    6 år sedan

So true palimpsest, I live at the beach in coastal California , a tourist destination, as I’ve stated before, my relatives from the East are so surprised seeing INTO houses in my neighborhood when we’re walking, “omg,,, you can see inside their house !” Especially at night with interior lights on.... most of us are accustomed to leaving our windows open for views, light & many don’t bother closing them at night , at least in the public areas.

• KD
    6 år sedan

Oh, I know people use Ikea - we have plenty ourselves - but I wouldn’t have considered it IN as a deliberate style choice so much as just people making use of what is available. Certainly for the money you can get things that are much better made in terms of performance at Ikea compared to other furniture stores in a similar price point. (We’ve ended up with a fair number of Ikea dressers just because Ikea uses nice slides that function well, where other less expensive options you had to fight with the drawer to get it to open and close. Who wants to fight with a piece of furniture you use daily?)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    6 år sedan

Jewel tones are coming back in a big way--purples, teals, dark blues, etc. Old world patterned cement tiles are here to stay, particularly when "mixed" with a more modern or industrial look. I think, too, that open floor plans will be less popular but will never completely go back to chopped up, small delineated spaces. Lastly, water-saving fixtures, LED lighting, and other eco-friendly appointments are going more mainstream due to changing building codes throughout the country, not just California.

• PRO
    Color Zen
    6 år sedan

Color and the nixing of carpet.

• aprilneverends
    6 år sedan

K Laurence you reminded me..when we walk in Balboa Island for example I have this huge desire to look into people's windows because I love houses but as I was very strictly taught it's bad manners I try real hard not to..:) it's very amusing actually, my inner struggle

I had the same thing in Israel -I wasn't accustomed to it when I first came there but as it's hot there most houses will have these huge French windows..and many people don't bother shutting the curtains/blinds so you walk in the evening and it's like walking between aquariums..with fish swimming and all..so hard not to look, so damn hard))

• K Laurence
    6 år sedan

I live near there ... on a popular street for walking ( Corona Del Mar), trust me, it doesn’t bother most of us if you want to look in, we can always close the shutters or shades if it does!

• havingfun
    6 år sedan

but i have discovered so many ne people who don't use window covers, and don't even think anyone will look in?

• PRO
    6 år sedan
    Cheers to everyone who said they don’t care about trends! You guys rock!

From a designer’s perspective, I am not inspired without my clients, and I don’t do trends at all. My clients come with fab trendy pics, but after a few chats we realize they’re attracted to the emotion good design creates. When everything makes sense, the concept is concise, and all details support the concept (or go against it in the perfect way), then your brain relaxes, because it’s not trying to figure out how a mishmash of stuff makes sense (our brains like patterns and complete systems— both are survival mechanisms). The trick is creating an emotion that reflects you, supports you, and speaks to how you think, your social disposition, how you communicate, if you are linear or logical, your family history, your adventures... Trends and overly stylized designs fall apart when you start searching for the client’s presence. We’re not Farmhouse, or Mid Century, or Organic Mod... it’s illogical, as is the work of celebrity designers— they’re putting their ideal of their house in your house and then charging money for it. Design is about you, 100%. There are certain principles that make great design, follow them, there’s stuff designers can’t explain— that’s talent, but all in all— do you. Great designers are conduits and biographers, because the client’s voice is the voice that is heard and designed for. It’s super hard to design for yourself— emotional designers can’t do it, because we’re too close to the subject (ourself). Skip the celebrity designers, skip the fashionistas, go for the emotional ones, because they get it’s about you- not fame, not trends. You will always be in style. With millions of furnishings at our fingertips, and endless ways to combine them, it’s pretty ridiculous people follow trends.

2018– the End of Trend

Love, the anti-designer designer.
  • havingfun
    6 år sedan

anyone think it will work if we ask people to bring in the special things they will bring in the room and decorate to match that?

• aprilneverends
    6 år sedan

it will work if you look at every thing as special..)) they don't need to match. they need to talk..

little kids for example-they see beauty and magic in the simplest things. a rock, a piece of glass found on a beach, a shiny chestnut, a found leaf..their old teddy bear, their new plastic bracelet...a clock on the wall, the wall itself because you can imagine pictures looking at the paint..:)everything is special because everything is treated as if it was alive. the connection between you and a thing is different.

so then kids grow up and of course learn a lot in the process but sometimes something gets lost too.

(it can be found again later)

some kids never grow up in that sense, they're a bit like Peter Pan

I know I still animate objects around me. Only now I realize it, and instead of trying to get rid of that very infantile thinking, I decided it's actually a great tool to have when needed.

I look for my connection to a thing. It can be very simple. As long as you see in things something from people, animals, trees-they become special. That's because, I think..You can't fully predict people or animals or trees. You can't fully manipulate them. It will always be a dialogue. You can have a lot of power in it, yet you're still just one part of that dialogue, and they react, and they "talk" to you and to each other, and you try to figure them out, and you listen, and you observe how they communicate too. Like in fairy-tales:) You believe just a bit-and it's not hard at all since to me, they truly remind live beings. And they can be funny or proper or a bit sad and shy, or ephemeral and elusive, or a bit mischievous.

You can have many objects or just a few, depending on what you like or where you are at life or what you can afford. That matters less..what matters is your belief they're much more active than they seem to be:) then they become special to you, and you don't see them as easily disposable. Simply speaking-they don't bore you. You've no need to trade them for something else.

And if you don't feel connection like that to some new object you don't bring it, and when you do feel the connection and introduce something new you try to figure out where it likes to stand and all that..you play with placement but with the idea that when it's right things will show you that somehow. You'll see because they'll show:) They'll look calm or like they want to dance. They'll signal to you "we're good here"

So that's what I do, because that's how I see the world

(it has downsides to it of course. I for one think that I had to move so many times in life because life is a bit annoyed with me being a tad too sentimental. lol)

How others operate, how they think? I can't fully know. But it would be interesting to learn.

• havingfun
    6 år sedan

i totally get tht, like painting the walls to go with the art or finding the exact right spot for it. or knowing the dog's name before i got him. such fun! lol

• User
    6 år sedan

“Extroverts can't survive in Restoration Hardware homes, Introverts
    aren't made for open floor plans and bright colors. It's not about decorating a
    space, but using furnishings and finishes to create emotions that reflect and
    support the homeowner.”

And now I know why I am always the odd one out who either
    cringes or cheers when everyone else is doing the opposite. This explains me perfectly.

• havingfun
    6 år sedan

using your criteria imhappy i can't survive rh, cause it is for everybody. and can't survive open spaces, because where do i put my art? bright colors i love, thoough i really prefer gem colors. yummy!

• tatts
    6 år sedan

The next big thing?

Ripping out subway tile.

• jhmarie
    6 år sedan

I was looking at some old This Old House the other day - from the 90's. I was surprised to see an apron front sink in the 1993 "London House". They have been popular in one form or another over in Europe, especially Britain and Ireland for a few hundred years - perhaps they will be as enduring here and not a fad. I also saw the 1999 Billerica House, which featured a subway tile backsplash and a dark stone counter (soapstone, or maybe honed granite?) The kitchen could have been built today except for a few details like the chicken motif over the range. Anyway, when I see things that have been around that long, I am not sure they will completely fade. When something actually functions well rather than is just for design, it can last.

I became a bit depressed today over all the post on gray rooms. Not just a bit of gray - but gray everywhere. I keep hearing it is fading, but I haven't seen evidence yet.

I hope the next big thing is color.

• K Laurence
    6 år sedan

No worries jhmarie.... while gray will always be around in some form ... it has definitely faded from popularity where I live. I overheard one of my relatives ( younger couple, trendy & very “artsy” ) discussing decor for their new house last year. They mentioned to me that NO grays will be used, “that’s out” they stated .... I , personally haven’t a problem with almost any color, just dislike a color when it’s overused. Maybe it’s somewhat of a regional thing, I see warmer tones used more now.

• aprilneverends
    6 år sedan

I don't know I might live somewhere in my own world but in it color never went anywhere. Books on design I read and collect -color, magazines I like enough to subscribe or buy from time to time-color, stores I like enough to explore-color..friends and family either have no idea what's "in"or "out" or don't give a damn and just do what they like..Pinterest, I never look at what they suggest, I pin myself what I find on internet and love or from folks I find to be interesting collectors, and search what i want, not what they think I'd like to see..I never check the feed even, and I see there coolest things ever because that's what I look for

Color is at everybody's fingertips..

• functionthenlook
    6 år sedan

I don't thing any neutral is really out. It is just people overdose their rooms in it. They don't know when to quit using the neutral in a room. Snowstorm kitchens, prison living rooms, etc

• aprilneverends
    6 år sedan

I agree functionthenlook. Why would they be out. They're beautiful. They're also colors..:) Why one has to choose like it's some questionable test "ten people got stuck in a boat in the ocean". Can they all continue to swim please? lol

Done intentionally , most things can be pulled off and all be beautiful.

Some people have a light hand, some need to consider more carefully, but I think: it's a perfect small part of life to be less afraid.

• flopsycat1
    6 år sedan

More dogs on the couch.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    6 år sedan

I wish I had dogs on my couch. I’m dogless for the first time in over forty years and holding off on getting another. I usually had them three at a time.

• northface99
    6 år sedan

In France, the South, at least, I see a lot of un-ironed linen in the summer and velvet in the winter. An not just in "decorated" houses. Maybe not so much a trend as a style.

• flopsycat1
    6 år sedan

Saypoint- There are plenty of them out there who, I’m sure, would be very happy to come home with you and sit on your couch. Good luck finding your new best friend.

• havingfun
    6 år sedan

I am not sure why you said no more saypoint. my mom is in her 80s she has 2 cats but says she wish she did not, no more after and no dogs, they are all too much work. but i think she is losing something for it. My hubbyand i say we will raise no more, ill health leads us to worry that they might outlve us. I think after you treat them as part of the family it is often unkind to subject them to others who may not feel that way. but I have learned that the humane society often even adopts out for little to no money those who are very old. we know we can make the small remainder of their lives good. that might good for you, no?

on the point of subway tile. i dislike it because it is so common now. I also found the name to be a misnomer 'subway' is not classic it was only in the subway for about 15 years. i do believe it to be a forever shape, face it you can only have so many shapes. taken from that view it would have been around forever.

• KD
    6 år sedan

If you’re worried about outliving pets, you can also look into fostering. My aunt has done it for some time now. Sometimes they even have long term fosters/hospice care for animals undergoing treatment or who will have medical needs the rescue wants to stay on top of. (Like one dog my aunt had went to long term foster because she had a limp and was going to develop bad arthritis and the rescue wanted to be sure she got treatment when the arthritis popped up.)

• havingfun
    6 år sedan

yep, saw that too.

• Ellie RK
    6 år sedan

@havingfun Subway tiles have been in the subway stations here (NYC), for over a 100 years. I won't do them because I'm a NY'er and that's all I think of when I see them, subways, but they're definitely a classic.

• flopsycat1
    6 år sedan

One more dog related comment for those who fear outliving their pet: Senior cats and dogs make wonderful companions, and are generally well beyond the housebreaking and chewing stages.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    6 år sedan

I was very active in small breed rescue for years, and fostered dozens of dogs in that time, along with transport, fundraising,and admin tasks. I’m just taking a break after losing three of my own in two years. Thanks though for being rescue-minded!

• Jennifer Dube
    6 år sedan

mjconti I confess that I also like W2W carpet, I have fond memories growing up with it in the 70s (shag!!). Not necessarily in every room (growing up we had carpet in the bathroom and that was gross). In our place we have hardwood everywhere but carpet in the bedrooms. Not shag. Low pile, high quality wool. The master even has a fun pattern. The master is huge and I don't think we'd have been able to find an area rug to fit. We are a shoe-free house and we run the Roomba every other day.

That said I'm going to defend gray: our place is decorated in sophisticated shades of warm and cool grays and beiges, with navy and chocolate brown and accent colors including soft yellow, green, orange, and white walls. We stained the yellow oak floors a medium grey that has blue/green undertones and is very pretty.

For us the decision was easy: we'd lived with beiges/warm colors/golds for so many years in the 80s/90s. Then switched to a "riot of colors" -- bold rich jewel tones, red sofa, etc. That was fun for awhile, but we were tired of it!!! Maybe we were ahead of the trends? We were ready to go back to quiet neutrals, but not the beige/orange/gold/yellow oak again. What's more, the sunlight our new place gets just doesn't work with too many warm colors --- which is how it was decorated when we bought it--- the place ends up looking like it's literally on fire! Toning it down with a grey palette works, and does not look cold at all.

• havingfun
    6 år sedan

Elle, well there is at least one organization that says it was 10 years, i do not feel like going through the effort to look it up again.

mj, i agree with the 30 years, that is true of clothing styles too. I do not agree with the carpeting. I grew up with them too, but they were awful for my allergies. have never seen a clean underneath when they were removed.

I would just like us to embrace the wide range of colors available and not stick to beige grey or white.

• cmegal1
    6 år sedan
    Functionality and personality (hopefully).

After house hunting this year, all I saw with flipped houses was grey, gray, and blue-gray.

Would love some color, built-ins, and handcrafted mosaic tile. Quality in general, like others have said.

I like white walls and black window frames. Maybe haven't seen it where I have been. Art-deco? Attention to ceilings and bold doors.
  • PRO
    Stash Home
    6 år sedan

What a great post!

• Jeanine Kinzie
    6 år sedan

It really depends on what part of the country you live in and your ability to update the look. I see barn doors evolving into sliding doors with hidden hardware. I see staying power in a grey base with grayish complimentary colors such as blue-grey, greige, sage-grey, so the scheme remains fairly neutral. People want to be able to change the look by season, so switching out the shades on the pendant, pillows, artwork, and rugs can change the look without the expense. Temporary wall paper will grown in popularity. People are enjoying the process instead of rushing through it, putting their special touch on the project. Scratch proof flooring, copper, painted brick, black trim, flexible floor plans, and space for extended family to stay. Between millenials and aging parents, we're prepared!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.