dlly9660

Help with screened-in patio

dlly9660
6 år sedan
Hello! I love sitting outdoors but hate my patio! I need help with figuring out what to do with it. Right now it gets filthy when the landscapers blow around the perimeter and dirt and debris come in. I would like to enclose it somehow to help prevent all the filth while still maintaining the fresh air coming in. I would also like to change the floors and colors. Any ideas?

Kommentarer (17)

• amykath
    6 år sedan

Wow! You are so lucky to have such a wonderful space! It is huge.

Here is a link to a zillion ideas. For starters I would find a paint color you love and then go from there.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/screened-in-porch-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_726~a_34-542

• DYH
    6 år sedan

Right now it gets filthy when the landscapers blow around the perimeter and dirt and debris come in. I would like to enclose it somehow to help prevent all the filth while still maintaining the fresh air coming in

The only solution is very expensive. Have operable windows or shutters installed that can be closed.

My sunroom has windows with screens, but is heated and air conditioned, so it's a year-round rather than three-season space. I can open my windows when I want fresh air.

• auntthelma
    6 år sedan

Can you tell the landscapers to be more careful?

• Fori
    6 år sedan

What a great room! What is your climate like?

You probably do have to do something about the leafblowers before bothering though. They can be so bad.

I fired my landscapers because they wouldn't stop blowing. Twice. : /

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    6 år sedan

some ideas

• maddielee
    6 år sedan

What is the ground cover outside the screen room? We rarely have much dirt blown in ours because of our thick lawn. Maybe change your landscaping and see if that helps, it really is a nice space.

• graywings123
    6 år sedan

I have that problem - stuff blowing in through the screens. I have thought about taking pieces of plexiglass, making a frame for each piece, and then setting them in the lower sections of my porch. Thinking is as far as I have gotten, however.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 år sedan

Screened porches get dirty. It's unavoidable. Having grown up in KS, with the constant wind and a screened in porch (where we lived in the summer - no AC), I remember my mother dusting the danged thing multiple times daily. I have a friend on Martha's Vineyard who finally enclosed hers - got up Friday night and spent most of Sat morning cleaning the screened porch and all the furniture. They're lovely but they are high maintenance.

• PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    6 år sedan

Definitely in need of updating but what a great space! I agree with the above, a knee wall might be your best bet. One of the benefits of a knee wall on a screen porch is you can finally get outlets on that side of the porch. Still, it's a screen porch. It's going to get dirty. We did a masonry repair job for a client a few weeks ago. We covered the whole screen porch with plastic and taped the seams, and somehow dust from the grinders still found its way in. I think a light coating of funk is the standard condition for a screen porch.

• Stacy Oakey
    6 år sedan
    dealing with the same problem. we are considering either a knee wall, or else the motorized garage door sized screens that slide up and down, so that it is technically only screened in when we are using it. that way, the dirt can blow out, the snow won't push on the screens in the winter, and we also have some mossy corners during the rainy season we are looking to avoid when the water builds up. that is my preference. it would allow more of a hosting out once in a while.
  • DYH
    6 år sedan

I've had screened porches with knee walls and during pollen season, everything was coated with yellow. If landscapers are blowing, they'd stir up dust if they point the blowers toward any side of the porch.

• lefty47
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

HI -- Your space is almost the same as mine . Just build some solid 36 inch high fencing wood walls around the bottom . Put down some wall to wall outdoor carpeting. I would keep it all white inside and add color and interest with the furniture and decor .

• dlly9660
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Great ideas, thank you. We are in Miami so a screen is a must if you want to spend any time outdoors during mosquito season, which is most of the year! I think we are leaning towards the knee wall. Around the perimeter is just dirt now, my patio is in a shaded area so not a lot of grass grows around it. Next project will be the landscaping around the house.
  • just_terrilynn
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

I had a similar size screened room in my last home. We ended up pouring an additional pad around it and bricking with same flooring as the interior section. I think we came out 15 ft but can't remember. Where your small dining table is we had a large table with big padded chairs. There was a big outdoor rug underneath and pretty lanterned candle holders. I had big potted real plants here and there. Further down along screen wall was two armless chairs with a small cocktail table between. You could put a matching rug runner there. Outside on the new slab was chaise loungers and little ckt tables. For some reason that outside matching brick area made the inside seem wider. I also had no more problems with debris coming in.

Do your kids play with all the toys out there? My kids liked the riding stuff/things with wheels but didn't really play with most of the large bulky other toys. You could do a big toy box that could double as bench seating. Or, use a buffet for bottom storage.

Oh, I almost forgot. We put a wall mount TV out there. I live in Florida though.

• l pinkmountain
    6 år sedan

I have a very similar porch. We have the debris problem, it is a constant battle. We use some older pieces and a lot of outdoor furniture that can stand the dust and dirt. Also everything is washable out there. A wall would be great if you can afford it though.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    6 år sedan

I have a similar screened in porch, but I DO have a knee wall. Doesn’t help much with dirt, dust or pollen. And when my landscaper (ME!) mows, there’s no keeping everything from blowing in.

I’m working on expanding the planting bed so it’s deeper around the porch. It’s only about 3 feet deep now, so it’s very easy for the mower to blow dirt/dust from that far.

Also, I have outdoor drapes and sheers. They block some, but then they are very dirty, too.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.