petruzzi2

kitchen island pendant height

Michele
6 år sedan
Hi all! We are installing a new light over our island. Our ceilings are 10 ft (I think). My husband is about 6’2”-6’3”. How high should the pendants be from the counter on the island? As you can see our cooktop is on the island as well. I attached a picture of the kitchen and the light. Thanks in advance!

Kommentarer (16)

• PRO
    Splendid Kitchens, LLC
    6 år sedan

Hi Michele,

For dining tables we always say 30-36" above the table.

Island are a little more personal based on your height- since your husband is taller Try 36" to 42". I think it helps to hold the fixture up or if that is too difficult a tape measure works.

• cpartist
    6 år sedan

I would not have a light over a cooktop only 36"-42" off the counter.

Do you have a vent even?

• Michele
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Yes we have a down vent
  • jonio
    6 år sedan
    Looks like a downdraft, possibly.
  • cpartist
    6 år sedan

Personally I'd be worried about having a fixture over the cooktop and would instead just do a pendant on either side of the cooktop. Think of the heat and grease wafting up.

• Michele
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Well the light is going up as my husband has already drywalled, etc. that’s why I was asking for height suggestions. Thanks
  • Elaine Ricci
    6 år sedan
    Here's a picture of the pendant lights over our island, to give you a sense of scale.
  • Elaine Ricci
    6 år sedan
    You may get a better idea with this pic, as I used a flash.
  • javiwa
    6 år sedan

OP: In case you hadn't already seen this, Wayfair has this pendant (very pretty, BTW!) on their site here. Scroll down the page, and you'll see a general 'distance' guide.

One reviewer posted a pic of the light in their space -- were you ready for how the pattern will throw onto your ceiling? :)

• Michele
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Yikes I hope it doesn’t throw that on the ceiling.
  • damiarain
    6 år sedan

You could try hanging either to-scale squares of paper or balloons at various lengths to determine the best height i.e. [see the comments in this post[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6-1-2-or-7-ft-long-island-2-or-3-pendants-dsvw-vd~2469569)

• Hillside House
    6 år sedan

Woah! That’s some very... uh... enthusiastic shadowing! ;)

• chicagoans
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

I second the idea to use to-scale balloons. I recently put several new lights in my kitchen. The one over the table has 3 pendants, all of which can be hung at different heights. I did a mockup with cardboard, balloons blown to the size of the pendants, and strings and positioned the table under it for a few meals while I played with the heights. (DS is 6'6" and I wanted to make sure it worked for him.)

It was very helpful, as I changed my mind about the heights after sitting under my fake lights.

the mockup:

the results (as you can see the electrician swapped the locations of the highest and middle pendants; that's ok I mostly wanted to make sure the longest was toward the corner):

• Shredder
    6 år sedan

My 3 pendant lights are 33" above the countertop. This allows for the light to be above most everyone's eye level when sitting on barstools at the counter.

• Shredder
    6 år sedan

lovely kitchen, by the way!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.