cardine_dellosa

What to do eith weird space between stairs and wall??

Enidrac
6 år sedan
Help! What can I do to make the gap between stairs and wall less noticeable? thanks!!

Kommentarer (40)

• ilovecomputers
    6 år sedan

Following.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 år sedan

You can do something...or nothing. It's fine as is...

Or you can try to find a creative sculpture or a narrow plant and use an uplight on it to make it interesting.

You can put a mirror on the back wall to reflect light back into the room...I would have the mirror cover the entire back wall...not hang a separate or decorative mirror.

You could also wallpaper or do a decorative paint job to make the space look more intentional and 'furnish' it without any furniture.

Or I suppose you could have a custom cabinet built that would have long drawers sort of like a file cabinet that pull out that could be used for storage.

• njmomma
    6 år sedan

If you get light from above, put a long rectangular planter on the floor and fill it with greenery that grow straight up.

Zen Garden · Mer info

50s remodel · Mer info

• jmm1837
    6 år sedan

Umbrella stand? Tall vase/pot?

• Olychick
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

My first thought was a coat tree toward the front and ignore the space behind, but I also like Annie's idea of built-in drawers. They wouldn't have to run the depth of the niche (they'd be too long to be practical).

• jjam
    6 år sedan

A tall plant stand would look nice there, with a live plant or maybe just some curly willow.

• Janette Price
    6 år sedan

I love Annie's idea of the wallpaper :)

• decoenthusiaste
    6 år sedan

I would just paint it a lighter version of the color on the other walls so it doesn't recede as much. Put colorful art centered 5' above the landing upstairs and the eye will go there.

• PRO
    One Source Construction, LLC.
    6 år sedan
    build a closet .there's never enough closet space
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 år sedan

Assuming this is new construction. Before you do anything with that space you must have a (serious) chat with the finish carpenter. Review all of the staircase trim…baseboard, railings…nothing jives.

• Enidrac
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Judy can you elaborate pls?
  • User
    6 år sedan

you can add a tall skinny storage shelf or cabinet

https://www.houzz.com/products/six-tier-tower-cabinet-prvw-vr~22022621

• picturebug
    6 år sedan

I wonder if Judy isn't referring to the two spots marked since they appear to be gaps or not lined up.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 år sedan

yes. those. and also, why isn't the newel post larger?

• Enidrac
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Hmmm honestly I did not notice those until it was pointed out. Not very knowledgeable with construction build. Also is the newel post supposed to be bigger? Sorry for sounding so ignorant. :/
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 år sedan

no need to apologize! let me post some pics so you can compare. the newel post is the large anchor piece at the bottom of the bannister.

yours seems a little puny.

as for the other circled points, above, hard to tell from the camera angle what's going on w/those.

• Enidrac
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    thanks for the pictures beth!! I’ll definitely take a closer look. They are definitely not connected in ours though but I’m not sure if that’s part of the design?.. or probably not?? Here’s another view of the newel post.
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 år sedan

What a shame the staircase wasn't just made wider. VERY awkward design. Wonder what else is awkward, too...

• partim
    6 år sedan

If that space bothers you, don't put anything there to draw attention to it. Add an interesting piece of art at the top of the stairs to draw the eye.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 år sedan

How wide is that space...it looks to be only about 18" wide.

• arcy_gw
    6 år sedan

I too think I would have a serious conversation with the builder and insist he widens the staircase. You wouldn't have the rails or newel post at all then, but it does you no aesthetic good like that anyway. Less dusting!!!

• Laura Villar
    6 år sedan

I don’t understand these stairs?? They would have to be redone Should take up all that space. This looks like somebody messed up I’m sorry

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 år sedan

If the stairs running up were wider, they have to be a lot steeper to reach the top. So that wouldn't work. I think the issue is more of not incorporating that space with whatever is going on with the room to the right of the wall.

• PRO
    Susan M. Buss Interiors
    6 år sedan

I wouldn't add anything on that wall or floor as it will draw more attention to that space. I do agree with replacing the newel posts. Best of luck!

• arcy_gw
    6 år sedan

Good points, what is to the right of the staircase and what is behind it. Chances are those two spaces would also be enhanced by eliminating that wasted space. I would be livid and a contractor/architect would be eating this mistake.

• PRO
    butter+velvet HOME · DESIGN
    6 år sedan

Where is this staircase, front of house or back staircase? If the front of the house I would treat it as quirky space and an fun umbrella stand or great silk plant in a funky pot beside the newel post, blocking the space. If it is a back staircase I would make the use of the space with shelves for baskets that can house anything you need it to, hats, gloves, etc. Good luck, I love funky spaces, lets the creative juices flow!

• User
    6 år sedan

After seeing pictures of the entire area, my vote is to ignore it. There's already a lot going on (doors, several doorways, round wall, etc), I'd keep that narrow space open and uncluttered ... and just hang artwork, which would draw the eye up, away from the opening. Anything else would look forced, imo.

I do like the idea mentioned of a more substantial newel post at the bottom, which would look more solid and decorative.

• User
    6 år sedan

As mentioned by others, one thing that would have a major impact is a more appropriate scale newell post. We bought these from HD in a railing overhall 4 yrs ago. They were very good quality; we thought the price was a bargain considering the diff it made! It's nice and chunky... https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stair-Parts-55-in-x-5-in-Wood-Poplar-Box-Newel-Post-4090P-055-SD00L/204791441?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-AllProducts%7c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5MS_kvL_2AIVm7jACh3begI1EAQYASABEgJ0x_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CKrit7ny_9gCFQudyAod-_ILdg

• partim
    6 år sedan

I don't think the stairs could be made wider. Otherwise the next set of stairs would have to start about 18" over, and there's probably not enough room for them.

• Enidrac
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Thank you all for the helpful comments! A small storage room is to the right of the stairs. This is not a custom home so most of the homes they build have the same design. Unfortunately we dont have the budget to make any customized changes yet. I love the idea of a coat/umbrella rack or hanging a painting on the wall. I will try them out and see what looks best! Thank you everyone!!
  • bpath
    6 år sedan

Why do you suppose there is an outlet right there? Seems like an odd placement.

• njmomma
    6 år sedan

vacuum? lol seems like an odd place indeed.

• Enidrac
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    might come in handy when I’m vacuuming one day :D
  • Kendrah
    6 år sedan

I would do nothing there as it only draws attention to what an odd little space it is. There is nothing wrong with blank space and letting a place breathe. I would have an eye catching light fixture on the landing or a piece of artwork on the landing wall to draw attention away from the small nook.

• callen9419
    6 år sedan

I have the same set up. House built in 1956, the door to the left of the post leads to the basement. I placed a neutral decorative piece on the wall as you see this wall as you enter the home. We do have a large window at the top of the first flight of stairs which helps. The space is a real dust catcher.. and hard to clean. The width behind the bottom round step is only 17'' not big enough to do anything with.. in your case I think a really nice large piece of artwork at the top of the first landing will really help.

• chicagoans
    6 år sedan

In addition to the spots picturebug pointed out, I noticed that there is no trim on the wall side. (See the examples in Beth's pictures that show the trim.) The baseboard on the landing just ends abruptly. Might be too late to add now since your carpet is in, but you should check to see if that trim is in your plan and if so, it should be added (or you should get a discount.)

• Enidrac
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Thanks for pointing that out. It does seem odd but I looked at the pics of other homes they sold on redfin and the finish is the same. I guess its part of their design?
  • nhbaskets
    6 år sedan

I'm guessing the top right corner is an optical illusion and not moulding that's not attached. I think that piece is actually trim on the perpendicular wall. Same for the two pieces where the stairs turn. Looks like they used a wide board where the balusters attach at the bottom to beef it up. As for the skirting missing on the left, it's also missing on the right. That's a builder cutting corners, not a design choice. I have the same on my stairs to my unfinished basement. Stairs are carpeted wall to wall with no skirting. Doesn't bother me since it's the basement, but for this, your sheetrock walls are going to get dinged up.

• tatts
    6 år sedan

The problem with wallpapering that space (as someone suggested earlier) is that somebody has to squeeze in there and apply it, smooth it, and trim it. I doubt it's possible.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.