jstropic

Sites to help ID your Hippeastrum

jstropic (10a)
6 år sedan

For those new to this forum here are some sites we use to help in ID'ing our bulbs:

For hybrids, http://www.emaryllis.com/
For species, https://sites.google.com/site/hippeastrumspecies/system/app/pages/sitemap/hierarchy
For species and cultivation, http://pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Hippeastrum

Please feel free to add any additional sites and I hope this helps. - Jody

Kommentarer (22)

• Fred Biasella
    6 år sedan

Hi Jody,

Thanks for the links :-))) The second one is new to me and it's wonderful!!!

jstropic (10a) thanked Fred Biasella
  • jstropic (10a)
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

Hi Fred, I just found it myself. I really liked the site because it showed images of bulbs actually flowered. It help me to see that a big difference between H. Puniceum and H. Striatum was size. Other than what I grow I have never seen actual flowers of most species so any additional information helps. It also includes pics of other species that are new to me. - Jody

• Fred Biasella
    6 år sedan

That's exactly why I like it very much :-))))

jstropic (10a) thanked Fred Biasella
  • dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    6 år sedan

Thanks so much from me too Jody and like Fred, the second one was new to me!! I so enjoyed the multiple pictures of these amazing species!!

Donna

jstropic (10a) thanked dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
  • PRO
    Texas Amaryllis Nursery
    6 år sedan

Hi Jody,

Thank you for the sites. Did not know about the second one listed. Would like to add the following sites:

Arghya Gardens: http://www.arghyagardens.com/?page_id=236

U.S. National Arboretum:

http://usna.usda.gov/PhotoGallery/HippeastrumGallery/AmaryllisA-L.html

Mark

jstropic (10a) thanked Texas Amaryllis Nursery
  • jstropic (10a)
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Thanks Mark, for adding to this list - but for some reason both links sent me to the usda site. I bought the Papilio (Doran clone) from Arghya Gardens and it flowers and grows well. But I haven't seen them offer any hippeastrum in a long time. I wonder why?

Maria, I joined Planet Botanical Hippeastrum and other sites for hybrids and I agree they are a wonderful site for avid collectors. But I backed off of fb as I wanted a more restful place to visit - for awhile. Here, it is like a stroll through the garden with good friends, just talking and sharing our wonderful flowers :) Jody

6 år sedan

Jody, I bought one of those (supposedly Doran clone) too. Mine hasn't bloomed and actually isn't doing all that well. It's alive but not thriving like some of my others papilios. Perhaps Arghya Gardens only sell offsets so that would explain why they only have a few for sale sporadically??

Donna

• jstropic (10a)
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Donna, mine are doing very well. They are next to the regular papilio, giraffe and exotic star, but while those three get almost full sun in winter (shade cloth in summer) they, the Doran clone, are heavily shaded by a huge ginger. I wonder if that made a difference.

• agapanthe64
    6 år sedan

oh oh I bought one of this Doran clone too , and it bloomed recently for the first time , I was disapointed ,not as the picture !!! here it is

• agapanthe64
    6 år sedan

bought in 2013

here was the photo provided :

6 år sedan

Jody, don't you have a picture with the Doran and "regular" papilios blooming side by side? I thought I noticed a difference in yours. I know it's posted here somewhere but maybe you could put your fingers on it easier and send it again?

Yes, their photo is particularly green which is why I bought it.. like you two, but as usual, mine has never bloomed. But yours is sort of green.... ☺☺

• jstropic (10a)
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Donna, yes I did and I can't find the picture :(

• jstropic (10a)
    Författare
    6 år sedan

I found the post but I don't know how to copy the link with the tablet. If you do a search for papilio it will come up with the March 2017 date.

• blancawing
    6 år sedan

Hi Jody,

Here it is:
    [Jody's papilio Thread[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/papilio-dsvw-vd~4500877?n=25)

• agapanthe64
    6 år sedan

The second link you are talking about is a french man that grows many species in the island Réunion in Indian ocean. He also posts he's pictures on the facebook group Planet Botanical Hippeastrum.

• jstropic (10a)
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Blanca, thanks for posting the link:)

Beatrice, I had wondered where he was located. His website is so easy to navigate and the pictures are amazing. Having pictures of so many different species that I had not been aware of and all in one place was wonderful! If you see him post in FB, please thank him for taking the time to create it :) I know this is probably asking a lot, but if cultivation methods could be added to the pictures that would be really nice!!:-))

Seriously, having cultivation methods for all the species in one place would really be great. I know there are places that describe where they grow but I find that difficult to translate into information that helps me, a simple gardener. I am sure for the scientists, botanists and avid species growers, saying what altitude a bulb grows at, or that it grows at the edge of forests, probably gives a lot of information, but I find myself guessing at what that means:)). I know FB is good for asking specific questions on specific species, but having them all in one place would be amazing. I know the Pacific Bulb Society has a lot of information, but again, a lot are pics are in situ, describing where they grow, rather than the conditions we would have to create to be successful growing them. So if you know of a place like this, please let me know!

I am so sorry that you are disappointed with your papilio. I think its beautiful, but when you were hoping for one thing and get another - I know how that feels. I bought it because it was self fertile and because it looked a little different from the other papilio - and it does. It is more red and more open and I like them both:) Are you going to try to self it? Unfortunately, in moving a lot of things around, last years seeds were thrown out and I didn't keep a log so...but this is another year and more opportunities. Jody

• agapanthe64
    6 år sedan

Jody, I think you should really read Planet Botanical Hippeastrum's publications on facebook, at least that's very informative. And you can set up your account to limit yourself to just what interests you.

In fact 'Sunbaobab' has two gardens I think, one in Belgium and one on the island of Reunion !! the photos come from one or the other, it also gives interesting information.

There is also an interesting group of exchanges of hippeastrums, species and hybrids ...

In fact for me the ideal would be that we move our little group on facebook! everything is so much simpler, answer, put pictures, react, traducing , etc ....

but you're right I think there is a lack of a place where we could gather, share our information about the culture of the different species, it's really missing.

as for my papilio Doran Strain, I did not find it very different ! that's why I am dispointed. I crossed it with papilio from Royal colors , and with my 'Ainhoa' that is a chicoXpapilio

• jstropic (10a)
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Beatrice, that is beautiful!! Wow! Now if I can just get Chico and Papilio to bloom this year:-)))

If we could keep this little group together, wherever we go, it would be great. We talk about a lot of things here because we are a smaller group. If I remember, Planet Botanical Hippeastrum, limits discussion to only species and f1 hybrids and are very strict about that - and I understand why. There are other sites on FB that discuss other hybrids. What's nice about our little group is we talk about everything! Although we mainly discuss our hippeastrum, we talk about other things, our kids, dogs, cats etc. without strict rules or a moderator removing these friendly posts or slapping us on the wrist for writing them :) We also gets lots of encouragement here, The Facebook sites are informative and a good place to ask questions of knowledgeable people, and maybe bring that knowledge back here. Or is there something else my simple mind is not getting :) - Jody

• agapanthe64
    6 år sedan

I totaly agree with you Jody ! this group is special , unique

In FB , in fact everything depends on the purpose of the group, there are small groups of gardeners, I know one but it is French! we are few, we share our gardening tips, our questions, we can call one or the other to the rescue when we have a question, all to stay friendly, caring and share our passion. The same thing here. Certainly the influence of the admin !!......

jstropic (10a) thanked agapanthe64
  • newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    6 år sedan

Just what I needed Jody! I went to the emaryllis.com site to see If I could identify my mystery amaryllis. Right on the first page I thought there were three candidates! I have posted a possibility on my thread. Great to have these references to refer to. Thanks!

For the site that Mark mentioned above, I found it. Here is the link:

http://www.arghyagardens.com/?page_id=236

jstropic (10a) thanked newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
  • PRO
    Texas Amaryllis Nursery
    6 år sedan

Jody, there is a fairly good guide to the culture of species Hippeastrum in Volume 53, 1998 Herbertia.. Cannot figure out how to upload a file to houzz. If you do not have access to this publication, email me and I will be happy to send a copy.

Mark

jstropic (10a) thanked Texas Amaryllis Nursery
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.