dfwmoderndesign

Installing Fishtank into Wall

Douglas Kent
6 år sedan

Thinking about installing a saltwater fishtank into the wall in my living room. Will this make my house more difficult to sell? Would this affect resale value in some other way - even if uninstalled? Curious if anyone has dealt with anything like this before...

Kommentarer (11)

• suezbell
    6 år sedan

Nope, nope ... wouldn't do that.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 år sedan

how soon are you selling? yes, it would make someone consider buying the home if they didn't want a fish tank. if you removed it and fixed it, then this question is moot.

As long as you're living there, do what you like. if it comes time to sell, check w/your realtor, but be prepared to spend the money to put the wall back to the way it was.

• rwiegand
    6 år sedan

Did this in a company space, it was wonderful! Set a 200 gallon reef tank so that it was exposed at a corner with a big closet behind it. All of the peripherals for the tank took up the better part of an 8x8 ft closet. We also needed to beef up the HVAC to take away the extra heat from the lights (perhaps not such a problem with LEDs vs the metal halide lamps we used). The installation probably cost $15K and we had to remove it and put it all back the way it was when we left, but it was a centerpiece of the space and a ton of fun for everyone involved in building and maintaining the tank. Not a trivial undertaking, but very rewarding.

I don't have the right space, but doing it at home I'd think about putting the refugium and pumps in the basement underneath the tank to reduce mess and noise upstairs.

• cpaul1
    6 år sedan

No, I would not put a fish tank into a wall. A very bad idea for many reasons including but not limited to 1) dated concept, 2) resale issues, 3) potential for water damage, 4) expense, 5) maintenance.

• Fori
    6 år sedan

It would totally affect resale in a bad way if you left it installed, but would also be easy enough to patch up before putting it on the market if you do the installation thoughtfully.

I don't think it would affect resale after removal--nobody would know it had been there unless you have damage.

I wouldn't want it, and I'm someone who actually has a large fish tank. I'd be willing to remove it myself, but most people in MY market wouldn't.

Douglas Kent thanked Fori
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 år sedan

So if you installed this in a wall what is in the space on the other side of the wall since that will be where all the stuff is locate not to mention salt water tanks stink as pretty as they are they are hard to care for and IMO best in a free standing tank with a base you can take with you when you leave .

• Kathy Yata
    6 år sedan

Go browse around reefcentral. Loads of fabulous tanks posted there and you will get a feel as to how much things cost. This is a hobby. A very expensive hobby. Any money you put in will not come back to you and initial start up is only the beginning. Call the local aquarium store for quotes to see if it is within your budget. I'd start with a tank that isn't built in and build it in if you decide to move up.

Usually a built in is placed in a closet so equipment and supplies are contained. Would be extremely easy to take it out and drywall up the opening. Damage is another issue. I bet the good people at reefcentral have done a lot of discussing this as well.

• PRO
    User
    6 år sedan
  • Fori
    6 år sedan

That's always been a favorite, but of course planted freshwater tanks are always prettier than saltwater.

The thing about this tank is that it would probably be expensive to remove and replace cabinetry to fill the gap should it be required for resale. A tank set into a regular old drywall wall isn't as hard to make go away.

You can make it as permanent as you like!

• PRO
    The Fish Gallery
    6 år sedan

We have been designing, installing and maintaining aquariums (in-wall and freestanding) since 1985. A built-in aquarium can be an incredible addition to your home if it is done correctly. Saltwater aquariums are high maintenance and expensive and I recommend doing some research before taking the plunge. Did you know that you can have a beautiful, stunning freshwater aquarium? A freshwater setup takes much less maintenance and the initial cost is typically 1/3 less than a saltwater aquarium of the same size. Below are 2 photos of aquariums we have done, one freshwater and one saltwater. Feel free to contact me with any questions you have. Take a look at our Houzz page or visit our website to get some ideas on what might work best for you!

Basement Man Cave Freshwater Aquarium · Mer info

Saltwater Living Reef Aquarium in Open Floor Plan · Mer info

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.