mitchpat

Fireplace dilemma

mitchpat
6 år sedan
senast redigerad:6 år sedan

My chimney is about 48 years old. I had it rebuilt from the roof up about 10 years ago. Now both new and old bricks are deteriorating. Additionally, we had a "thermal event" which caused the clay flue tiles to crack. I want to replace the entire chimney. Insurance adjuster says they will probably pay for just putting a stainless steel flue down the chimney.

Is brick or stone more likely to hold up to Chicago weather?

Are there any other options? The rest of the house is Hardie cement board. If I can use Hardie board I'd like to build in a little storage area for gardening tools.

Also thinking of upgrading to a heat radiating FP. Is it worth the extra cost? We have a single story home.

Thanks for your help!

Kommentarer (3)

• Matthew
    6 år sedan

How are new bricks deteriorating if they are only 10 years old? Or is it more specifically the mortar? Rebuilding a whole chimney will be $$$$. Has a mason made an assessment on what can be done.

• PRO
    Rockford Chimney Supply
    6 år sedan

Hello Mitchpat,

There are other alternatives to brick chimneys. If the brick chimney is eliminated above the roof, you can transition to a class A chimney pipe by using a transition plate, Rock-Vent class A chimney pipe, and chimney cap.

• graywings123
    6 år sedan

You can have a cast-in-place masonry liner poured inside your chimney. I had it done on a 120 year old chimney.

Cast in place flue liner

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.