clairemulloo

Remodel- will 48" vanity work? What about the old medicine cabinet

clairemulloo
5 år sedan

I am doing a complete remodel of guest bath but "on the cheap". The current vanity is 71" long, I thought I had to go to 60" but am thinking 48' might be fine. What do you think? The tape measure shows 48"

48" vanities are less costly and most 60" vanities counter tops are double sinks which we do not need. To custom order a single sink (granite or quartz) it adds another $400-$500

Second question. The medicine cabinet is really nice because the interior is mirrored but there is water wear in the corners where you pull open the door. Should I just pull it out?

Kommentarer (12)

• annied75
    5 år sedan
    I would stick with a larger vanity unless you plan to replace the floor. For the new vanity, purchase one with drawers on each side. You can then store the items from the medicine cabinet in the drawers. Remove the medicine cabinet and purchase a large framed mirror. By saving money on a new medicine cabinet, you can put that toward the added expense of a larger vanity.
    clairemulloo thanked annied75
  • clairemulloo
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 5 år sedan

Yes, there is a notch in the door trim- I was going to ignore that... :) :) :) I do have installer for the new tile, sheet rock, etc. I guess I should have him replace the trim.

Annied75, I am removing all the tile; new floor, toilet, shower, tub and will sheet rock around the vanity. I ll do your miffed suggestion.

• lisadlu16
    5 år sedan

Since it sounds like you are redoing everything in the room I would change out the mirror. You notice the water damage and so will your guests.

clairemulloo thanked lisadlu16
  • Nancy in Mich
    5 år sedan

Are you replacing the floor tile completely? If not, you may have a problem. The current tile may end at the vanity edge.

With the new mirror, be sure to use only water - no glass cleaner - to clean it. I know that with mine, using glass cleaner will void the warranty. Cleaners wicking up behind the glass is said to be the cause of the loss of silvering you see on the edges of mirrors. A spritz of water and a microfiber cloth does the trick.

With so many designers insisting that you should not put two sinks in a 60" vanity, there must be more than a few to see. Just for grins, check out Wayfair, where you can do a search for a vanity that size, then specify one sink. See what is out there to buy online if you have not looked already. Once you have seen them, you can look for local distributors of that line if you do not like to purchase such large items online.

• annied75
    5 år sedan
    Even though you are changing out the floor and everything else, I would still stick with the larger vanity. Storage and counter space are priceless. Also, if you go smaller, make sure to not leave a goofy gap between the wall and vanity. Push the vanity against the wall.
    clairemulloo thanked annied75
  • User
    5 år sedan

The way you've placed the smaller vanity throws off the symmetry. The vanity should be placed so that the toilet is centered between the vanity and the wall, which means you'd have plenty of space between the vanity and the opposite wall for cleaning. You'd need to move the plumbing for the new sink location.

I think your tape measure shows a 60" vanity, not 48". You should even have room for a 54" vanity. A furniture style vanity would work well.

clairemulloo thanked User
  • clairemulloo
    Författare
    5 år sedan

Hi Mayflowers, I just remeasured. I must be losing my mind. What is currently there is 61" inches- Not sure why I said 71". (I don't think I can edit my original post)

• clairemulloo
    Författare
    5 år sedan

Correction! the existing vanity is 60" not 71".

• User
    5 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 5 år sedan

You’re not doing a “budget” remodel by tearing all of that out. The more things you keep, the less likely you are to reach the 18K national average that a 3 piece hall bath costs.

Which is to say, you're focused on saving pennies on a vanity and letting the dollars slip through your fingers on the large scope of the work. Rethink your bargain vanity, or rethink the scope.

• User
    5 år sedan

I knew something was off. I was counting your wall tiles to figure out the actual measurements but the math wasn't quite working out with that either.

I would stick with the 60" vanity to maintain the spacing. You need at least 12" between the vanity and wall for cleaning. The cost to move the plumbing negates the savings on a smaller vanity.

• damiarain
    5 år sedan

A quick look at both HD and Wayfair shows >600 single sink, 60” vanities at each site. Mayflowers makes a good point re: effects of having a smaller vanity - plus who wants to lose storage :)

clairemulloo thanked damiarain
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.