jennifer_smith6287

Keep or remove fiberboard walls?

Jennifer Smith
5 år sedan
Hello,
We have lived in our 1915 bungalow for about 15 years and are doing some renovating. We just completely gutted the kitchen and once it is done we will move on to the living room and dining room. I have been looking at these walls and thinking about removing them and sheet rocking. I did a little research... they are not original to the home as the company that made them (Nu-Wood) was not established until the 20's. We suspect a 50's or 60's remodel. I like the ceiling, but the walls feel like too much. I would love to do a gallery wall, but it feels like it would look busy and cluttered. Would love to hear thoughts on this.

Kommentarer (8)

• colonialgp
    5 år sedan

Do you know if the original plaster is intact underneath? It would be wonderful if you could restore the walls to their original state. I suspect the dropped ceiling was put in at the same time to help with heating costs. If you are removing the walls, remove that ceiling too. Embrace that bungalow - they don't make them like they used to!

• PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    5 år sedan

Colonialgp is right that it would be fab if original plaster is still there, so worth exploring!

• PRO
    Bourke Construction Inc.
    5 år sedan

If you wish u can drywall over existing or remove and insulate wall then install new drywall,note very possible 50-60s drywal has asbestos in it.

• Jennifer Smith
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    Thanks to all for the confirmation! Now to convince hubby that this needs to be the next project! We will definitely look for plaster underneath.
  • colonialgp
    5 år sedan

Plaster and lath walls are considered fire resistant. Sorry I have no reference for that, something I remembered.

• Jennifer Smith
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    Peeked in a hole in the wall... it is wood planks underneath. So we are looking at sheetrocking.
  • User
    5 år sedan

Test for asbestos FIRST! Lead paint is a definite. Know what needs to happen to remediate each.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.